U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2015, 04:29 PM
 
4,573 posts, read 7,057,201 times
Reputation: 4222

Advertisements

what caught my eye was the stat (1 in 4 is a retiree) which I thought was quite high....25%. I expected it to be lower, maybe more like 1 in 10 or 10%, since from what I've read most people do retire in place. Maybe the baby boom generation is changing that to a larger degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2015, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,780 posts, read 4,830,089 times
Reputation: 19400
Here in TN we get so many people retiring from the upper Midwest. So many people in our area (a transplant mecca) are from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, and Ohio. I know we are marketed more there, but it's so common that when people hear we are from the west coast they are surprised.

eta: New York too, we get a lot of New Yorkers, and FL halfbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 12:23 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,229,344 times
Reputation: 14870
Quote:
Here in (insert your favorite place) we get so many people retiring from (insert your least favorite place).
The only way to fix this - - - is to stop talking on City Data about these places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque NM
1,659 posts, read 1,522,722 times
Reputation: 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The only way to fix this - - - is to stop talking on City Data about these places
That's why I love it when all the City Data folks talk about retiring to Florida, SC, NC, Tennesse, etc. You don't see many discussions about retiring to Oregon, Washington, Colorado, or Idaho which would be my first picks. But as evidenced by the movers list, some do find these places to be desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The only way to fix this - - - is to stop talking on City Data about these places
That's what City Data is really about....places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 06:54 PM
 
143 posts, read 132,634 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
That's why I love it when all the City Data folks talk about retiring to Florida, SC, NC, Tennesse, etc. You don't see many discussions about retiring to Oregon, Washington, Colorado, or Idaho which would be my first picks. But as evidenced by the movers list, some do find these places to be desirable.
Oregon? People are welcome to come, but you better have a job lined up and if you are retired you better not be coming to get warm! (or dry)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Idaho
2,512 posts, read 2,275,905 times
Reputation: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You answered your own question, Escort.
Folks are moving to Idaho to escape so much humanity. We are getting a lot of Californians who think it's now too crowded there.
Other reasons are low crime communities and low housing and cost of living expenses.

You are not exactly correct about lack of jobs in Idaho. There are jobs, but most don't pay well. The south end of the state is doing better economically, but the folks moving here are mostly moving to the panhandle, where the scenery is beautiful. Boise is getting a lot because it's the only large city in Idaho, and where there are more better paying jobs. Not all who move here want to live in the boonies, and Boise is in the warmest area of the state as well.

Some retirees who move here say they want a 4 season state, and some say summers are too hot and too long in other states and they would rather put up with winter than summer.

Others move here because it's a very conservative state.
Hi Mike...

As a retiree that moved to ID about three months ago; from UT, I will agree with the 4-season state and the fact it is a conservative state. However, my biggest reasons were:

Cost of living, including property taxes and prices of homes is a lot less than southern UT.

Camping...might sound strange to some, but for the past six years, when living in UT, I always pulled the trailer to MT, ID, WY for camping trips. So, it seemed like an idea to move to one of those states to cut out a day's travel. Now, at most, I have a one day drive to the camping areas in these three states.

And those Californians worry me. They have all but changed CO, trying to make it what is was in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 04:51 PM
 
12,825 posts, read 20,135,648 times
Reputation: 10910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Yes, very interesting, Loveautumn; thank you for posting that. However, I disagree about "no surprises". First, I had to remind myself that if one in four movers are doing so because of retirement, that means three out of four are doing so for other reasons, which I presume would be mostly job-related. So that explains Washington D.C. as a popular destination; it would not be popular with retirees because of the cost of living but would be popular for careers.

To me, the surprises were Idaho and Vermont, hardly meccas for jobs, but also with the cold winters that retirees presumably avoid. What makes them popular?

I would love to see California among the states people are moving out of because we have way too many people here, but no such luck. I would gladly pay twice the taxes if we could have half the people while retaining the same infrastructure but I realize that's just a fantasy, a dream.
I suspect that CA is a net "moving out of" state but not enough so to have made that particular list.

I know nearly no one who has moved here to retire during the past 20 years (I used to hear of it prior to that). Meanwhile several people I know who've retired have left the state. Some did not even wait for retirement, and did a strategic relo during mid life to their "forever" retirement location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,780 posts, read 4,830,089 times
Reputation: 19400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The only way to fix this - - - is to stop talking on City Data about these places
I'm not wishing to fix it. It's okay if they move here for retirement....I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Reputation: 23683
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Here's a list from Movers (Allied/United Van Lines) showing the top places people are moving to and from. One in four people moving out of an area indicate retirement as the reason.

Top places folks are moving to:

Oregon
South Carolina
North Carolina
Vermont

Florida
Nevada
Texas
...
No real big surprises here but I thought it was interesting to get information from companies that actually move people.
top 4 Surprise me. Why, oh why? (NC is nice but pretty spendy)
VT and OR all but rape you for taxes.

I would say these people did not research C-D before they moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top