Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 AM

77 posts, read 213,507 times

Advertisements

If you know about the Philippines as a place to retire, let me know...I've been reading positive things about the country lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:49 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
Have you ever been to the Philippines?
Do you like hot and humid weather?

have you figured out about health care?

can you live with the language?

can you live without other US of A people nearby?

If you can answer yes to all of these Phillipines may be for you. if not think twice!

Others have done it and loved it~ but some cannot handle it!

Good luck in your choice!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
I have a very good friend who owns an estate in the PI. He bought it while working there and has a lot of friends there. But he retired stateside. He does enjoy it there, but he prefers the American standard of living better. So now he only goes there for vacation.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:00 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Have you ever been to the Philippines?
Do you like hot and humid weather?

have you figured out about health care?

can you live with the language?

can you live without other US of A people nearby?

If you can answer yes to all of these Phillipines may be for you. if not think twice!

Others have done it and loved it~ but some cannot handle it!

Good luck in your choice!
Philippine weather is no different from the southeastern USA. Healthcare is not lacking. There are many foreigners in the Philippines, with schools specifically tailored for their nationalities. I reported to many when I was there and had expatriates for clients. ENGLISH is the medium of instruction in schools. Many Filipinos read and write English better than their American counterparts and literacy is high. The percentage of college graduates in the Philippines to the rest of the population exceeds that of the United States.

Please verify your statements before you post. Your opinion of the Philippines is archaic, outdated and inaccurate.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Philippine weather is no different from the southeastern USA. Healthcare is not lacking. There are many foreigners in the Philippines, with schools specifically tailored for their nationalities. I reported to many when I was there and had expatriates for clients. ENGLISH is the medium of instruction in schools. Many Filipinos read and write English better than their American counterparts and literacy is high. The percentage of college graduates in the Philippines to the rest of the population exceeds that of the United States.

Please verify your statements before you post. Your opinion of the Philippines is archaic, outdated and inaccurate.

Interesting. My perception of the Phillippines is outdated, too.

What is the cost of living like there if you want to live with a similar standard of living that we have here? I've seen pics of it and it does look beautiful.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:26 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Interesting. My perception of the Phillippines is outdated, too.

What is the cost of living like there if you want to live with a similar standard of living that we have here? I've seen pics of it and it does look beautiful.
I'm researching that myself. Real estate seems to have skyrocketed in the last couple of years and what was once affordable for me in USD is now out of my reach! I should have bought when I could, but my citizenship status prevents me from doing that so I would be working on getting my (dual) citizenship back soon.

The economy fluctuates with the election year and 2010 is one; however, I do not see the economy in a recession. My sister and BIL have just bought a new BMW, so it couldn't be that bad!

Old 05-02-2009, 03:53 AM

176 posts, read 522,591 times
Default Are you serious?

Crime

abject proverty

terrorism

corruption

No thanks

Old 05-02-2009, 06:44 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,036 times
I travel there often. Cost of living is markedly lower than US. English is spoken freely and no issue. A lot of crime, you need to be aware at all times.

Not a bad place to visit but not sure you would want to live there full time.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:05 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,344 times
I've been checking out Costa Rica but my wife don't think much about living there. Apply for Residency, #8 on the list may be a problem for me, I wonder if they would accept my mug shots in the post office for my 12 front and side photos?

Costa Rica Residency, Document Requirements, Residency Papers

Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Don't know about the Phillipines but was at Roatan (island off the coast of Hondorus) last year. There are TONS of American citizens moving there.
Personally, I'd be leery of the govt but they don't seem concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement