Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 04:37 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's a problem that folks are first hearing of parents or siblings dying by seeing it on Facebook. It is a little thoughtless to race to Facebook to post such bad news before the family is notified. I know of a couple cases where that has happened.
Totally agree. A friend of mine found out about the death of her 18 yr old son on Facebook. I don't know as she's spoken to the poster since.

As for obits, of course they're going to be all roses and rainbows. what are looking for: Joe was a real jerk. Spent money like he had it, got fired from every job he had. Died like he lived: drunk as a skunk.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 05:55 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
No one reads them anymore, so who cares?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:16 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I just look at the name on the obit. Of the people that I knew the obit didn't match their real history.

I told my wife that I do not want an obit or a funeral, just cremate me. I'm fairly confident that I will go first because of my health issues.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:18 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
In my case, we've never had a permanent home, and probably never will. No point to an Obit. But yes, those Obits turn my stomach. But what I also can't stand is the ones that go on about every little thing they did.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:41 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
No one reads them anymore, so who cares?
Lots of people read them. Perhaps you don't, but how is that relevant?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:57 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default There is a reasonable middle ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
As for obits, of course they're going to be all roses and rainbows. what are looking for: Joe was a real jerk. Spent money like he had it, got fired from every job he had. Died like he lived: drunk as a skunk.

Agreed that would be over-the-top. But there is some middle ground between your brutal example and the twisting of reality that sometimes goes on. Here's an example from real life:

I have a male cousin who died at age 47. He was, unfortunately, a real loser who lived off the largesse of his parents and showed no desire to get a job. At one point his father had purchased saw and knife sharpening equipment for him and set him up in a little shop. But the ungrateful son refused to man the shop and so the business was quickly run into the ground through his unwillingness. It fell to his older sister to write the obituary. I was astounded to read "Retired small business owner". Wow! That's really some creative writing!

In my opinion that phrase should have been simply left out. There was no need to mention a career choice, or a trade, or a profession, because there never was one. It could have been left unsaid that he was a loser and a neer-do-well, i.e., nothing at all said one way or the other. What was said amounted to a lie, actually, even if it was correct on the narrowest technical ground.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I do like to read obits, and I do so online in my local newspaper. I want to see who's passed away whom I may know, and I enjoy reading many of the stories of people's lives even if they were exaggerated by family members or themselves. (I actually had to write some obits as a rookie reporter for a Midwest paper, and these were cut and dried and terribly boring and bound by convention.)

As an artistic narcissist, of course I've written my own obit making sure I included the interesting highlights of my creative life (and used good grammar and punctuation). I would never leave it to family members or anyone else to write my final story. Part of this is bragging, no doubt, but then again (because of my privacy tendency) no one in my family—siblings, kids—other than DH knows much about me outside the roles of mom and grandma. It's my way of letting them know that I did accomplish some small "great things" and perhaps they can remember me more that way than for my faults.

I've not only written my obit, I've put it on two CDs for the local newspapers. I've taped these to the cover of my "final instructions" notebook with a line that says "no matter what it costs...publish in full".....LOL!!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:05 AM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I do not want one but I remember with my brother, who was blind & ran the coffee shop at the government center, the folks who wondered what was happening with him were grateful to learn of the funeral arrangements & just to know what happened (heart attack). Saw him every day, knew him enough to say hi to, respected him enough to want to pay final respects.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 AM

526 posts, read 898,488 times
r local paper charges for online subscription, but reading obits is free

obits always describe people as "avid" (fisherman, supporter of animal rights, quilter, etc)

Old 01-07-2015, 08:58 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
I hope this is not off topic.

Could flowery obits be connected to the admonition to not "speak ill of the dead"?

I've been researching, in vain, the origins of this warning. Its amazingly old and widespread through many cultures and religions.

Our local radio station publishes obits online. I read them every few monthes. I live now near where I attended high school and my classmates are dropping like flys.

When I lived and worked in the city, I read the obits because they were interesting. I was always surprised at the number of people that I had a connection to or knew something about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement