U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:48 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
............. I had 30 years of cleaning my car of ice and snow early in the morning to go to work and never thought anything about it, it was what I did.

I never gave it any thought because I had to clean off the driveway and the wall of snow at the end of the drive the plow deposited to get out anyway, like everyone else. Cleaning the car was the least of my worries and a few minutes of the entire task. I never thought about the advantage of a garage because everyone had to be out shoveling anyway or using a snow thrower.
Indeed, attitude makes all the difference in the world. Interesting. If we put it in our minds that something is horrible, then by golly, it will sure be horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:25 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
One thing not mentioned, in my neighborhood in St Paul in order for any of us to get to work we pooled our efforts & everyone grabbed shovels, snow blowers, etc & we bailed ourselves out. Created great community spirit.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:24 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I didn't do that awful crap because I have a garage and store my truck inside the garage. ZOMG brilliant!

Some houses don't have garages, but I had this brilliant idea where I selected a house that HAD a garage. ZOMG. So much forethought.

Quote:
You get the picture. People chipping ice off their cars are either very early on in their careers,
This was me throughout my 20's.
It's entirely possible this is where DH & I will be several years down the road, in our 70's, since we plan to transition from homeowners to renters. We'll happily trade year-round home and yard maintenance for a few weeks of chipping ice off the windshield. Especially since in retirement we don't normally have to get out on the roads unless we want to.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:38 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,546,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It was 5 degrees (I know it was even colder where some of you live) when I woke up this morning and thought, it's still dark out, it's cold and I don't have to warm up the car or scrape the windshield because I'm retired and I don't have to go to work. In fact, I don't have to go outside at all today.

So, who thought of the benefit of being retired today because of the temperature where you live while you were casually having your morning coffee/tea/hot chocolate?
The other night it got down to 2. The house had warmed properly and we were good, the critters and me. I'm a night person and this time a year even moreso. And I am determined to finish this cross stich, origional design and was sticking and occasionally doing stuff on the computer. And it was hardly more light during the day with all the clouds.

I got a ride to the store before it got colder and was good and stocked. And I ALWAYS have plenty of stuff to do, project wise. I'm happy to shut the door, turn up the heat and chill out without feeling the need to go out in the cold.

Mostly husband and I worked at home, but someone had to RUSH the orders to the post office each afternoon to mail, and that was usually me, whatever the weather. Ugh. I wouldn't mind something which earned a bit, but I'd actually like a work at home deal so long as I don't have to rush around.

I think I like winter in a way since it gives one a really good reason to shut the door and indulge your creative mind since there's no real reason to go out when you need four layers.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:55 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,682,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sound to me like you're having a heat wave. We might get to about 35 today then tomorrow and Monday we can expect ice, frozen rain, sleet and possibly snow, or not. Here in the Ozarks with all its micro-climates ya never know.

The only times I ever had a carport were when I lived in Northern Virginia in the 50s when my father was stationed at Quantico Marine Corps Base and the late 70s when I was stationed at the Pentagon. They work amazingly well keeping snow and ice away from the cars and the rain off of you while loading and unloading. However, we have an oversized, 2-car garage and only one car and I do much prefer it.

I have to chuckle at those who have garages but fill them with "things" and have to park their car(s) outside. Living in a land of four seasons it just amazes me.
We are at 53 degrees today so maybe a "heat wave" but it's a wet one. We're expecting rain through Wed.. Midweek the temps will be in the low 60s and stay that way the rest of the week. Typical AZ winter weather.

My parents lived near Heber, AR for a few years. I know they had some 'weather' there. They sent me pics of one of their 'ice storms'. Wow! Beautiful but so cold!!

I'm now looking for a home to buy here so I'm hoping to get at least a one car garage. I miss having one. Carports are 'okay' and do the job I want them to do but... The only thing a carport doesn't do for me is keep the bird poop off of my car! They don't care where it's parked. lol

Old 01-11-2015, 04:10 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,299,956 times
-2 at 6am this morning.

My wife and I are retired and have discussed moving, but the areas we find attractive for retirement are colder then here. We decided to stay here because we consider the weather here almost perfect for us.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:18 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The only thing a carport doesn't do for me is keep the bird poop off of my car! They don't care where it's parked. lol
Garages don't always either. A couple of years ago, during the summer, my wife was doing some things in the garage and had the door open. A flock of geese took off from the lake cove across the street from us and flew over the house - all but two who flew into the garage. One managed to reverse course and fly right out. The other slammed into the back wall of the garage (it's totally finished), left an indelible imprint several inches deep, knocked itself senseless and landed on top of our chest freezer. I heard the collision and ran out to see what happened. I then picked up the goose which came to, scrambled away from me and finally took flight after having left numerous "calling cards" on its way out.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:45 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,682,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Garages don't always either. A couple of years ago, during the summer, my wife was doing some things in the garage and had the door open. A flock of geese took off from the lake cove across the street from us and flew over the house - all but two who flew into the garage. One managed to reverse course and fly right out. The other slammed into the back wall of the garage (it's totally finished), left an indelible imprint several inches deep, knocked itself senseless and landed on top of our chest freezer. I heard the collision and ran out to see what happened. I then picked up the goose which came to, scrambled away from me and finally took flight after having left numerous "calling cards" on its way out.
LOL...poor goose! Heck something like that would scare the poop out of me too! Quite the visual you painted there. lol

Old 01-12-2015, 08:46 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,377,315 times
One of the things I so looked forward to about retirement was knowing that if it was snowing, or that it had snowed, I wouldn't have to go to work in it--or drive home in it afterward! Honestly, it didn't snow enough for me the first several years that I was retired! I wanted that feeling multiple times in first year.

So I get this.

Now that we live in the PNW, really awful weather is not so common. But if it is awful, we don't have to go out, and I am really, really happy about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or