Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:58 AM

498 posts, read 571,896 times

Advertisements

We had to babysit 2 yr old at 5:30 a.m. Yes, left in the dark, drove to his house. BUT not in Colorado but central Texas. NICE! 24 degrees but dry. No ice. No wind. No snow. I love it. He is in day care now so we will take a long nap....love being retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I'm thankful everyday that I'm retired and now living in Florida. Although it's cold today, by Florida standards, it's still a beautiful sunshiny day with blue skies. In a few days we'll be back in the mid 70s and I'll be able to resume my life of shorts, flipflops, and gardening.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:15 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
3 degrees here in northeastern Pennsylvania. But the school districts all had delays - most of them two hours. Two of my grands were on a delay and while the older girl, in middle school, would have been perfectly fine hanging alone 'til bus time, the younger one, 9 y.o., would have gone out the door with her coat flying open, no hat, no gloves, at 40 minutes before the bus was due to arrive and would have locked herself out with no way to get back in to get the homework she left on the kitchen counter. An artificial scenario, to be sure, but not too far from reality. Mom had to work; Dad had clients at the gym. So GOG (Good Old Grandma) got up and ventured out into the cold and went to sit with them until they headed off to their respective schools. Sure it was cold. But that little kiss when headed for the bus kind of warms the heart so it ain't all bad.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:23 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
81F in Phoenix yesterday, mid 70's for the next week or so.
Yeah, but you get those hotter than hell summers where the temperature is in triple digits.

This cold is really unusual for us in my part of Tennessee. I have gone complete winters here just wearing a hoodie as outerwear because the temps were in the 50s (favorite) and 40s. The thing I used to hate during my working days in NY and MD was my car looking like a glazed donut and scraping/chipping the ice off the windshield and windows when it was still dark in the morning.

Now, in retirement, the only "glazed donut" is on the table. We still get ice but since I'm retired, I just wait for the sun to melt it before I go out.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:24 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
You all should have read my Facebook post a few days back when I posted that I cant wait to move south. I will not deal any more after that with half snow half rain. Ugh!!!
Sorry friend, but we get that stuff down here too. Not very often though. It was a shocking 7 degrees this morning. It's a balmy 30 degrees now! Fortunately it doesn't last long, and when it snows, it melts in a few hours (usually).

Hang in there!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Sorry friend, but we get that stuff down here too. Not very often though. It was a shocking 7 degrees this morning. It's a balmy 30 degrees now! Fortunately it doesn't last long, and when it snows, it melts in a few hours (usually).

Hang in there!
In 2007 I put my shovel in the trunk of my car (used for digging out the car after the snow plow came) when I left Maryland and I have yet to take it out. In fact, I haven't seen a snow plow since I've been here probably because I just stay inside when it snows and like you, wait a few hours and it's all gone.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:36 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
5 degrees Fahrenheit is a nippy April morning where I live. We have experienced several nights of 30 to 35 below this month; THAT is cold .

Sometimes we also get May mornings in the teens. Winters here are not only cold but also long.

Last year, we recorded -35 on March 1st and the high that day was 20 below.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:41 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It was 5 degrees (I know it was even colder where some of you live) when I woke up this morning and thought, it's still dark out, it's cold and I don't have to warm up the car or scrape the windshield because I'm retired and I don't have to go to work. In fact, I don't have to go outside at all today.

So, who thought of the benefit of being retired today because of the temperature where you live while you were casually having your morning coffee/tea/hot chocolate?

I'm not there yet with retirement so unless it's a weekend, holiday, sick day or whatever, I'm relieved when I can sleep in and have a casual day of relaxing with a cup of java or hot chocolate (with plenty of marshmellows). Mr C and others that are retired now, congrats and enjoy the day

Old 01-08-2015, 11:48 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
My old home town back east will have a low temp today of five below zero. Mid morning here and it's in the 60's and sunny. Glad I retired here. Nothing about back east winters that I have positive memories about.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:50 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
It was around 30 this morning. Couldnt believe it. Had to put on socks to wear with my flip flops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement