U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 PM

197 posts, read 264,455 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been keeping an eye on what the do-nothing-but-take-away-your-Social Security Congress is putting up for passage now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:11 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Somewhat. I'm a retired political and legislative analyst. The operative word is "retired!"

Old 01-08-2015, 08:14 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner4484 View Post
Has anyone been keeping an eye on what the do-nothing-but-take-away-your-Social Security Congress is putting up for passage now?
I am not aware of any Social Security legislation currently pending. I don't happen to agree with your characterization of Congress; about the last thing that would fly politically in this country is for Congress to take away Social Security. But of course "doing nothing", if it goes on long enough, will result in reductions in Social Security, although we are not yet very close to that mark.

However, this is not the Politics Forum, so serious Congress-bashing belongs there, not in Retirement.

What bothers me more than Social Security retirement benefits is the SS disability trust fund. If that's what you are referring to I wish you would have specified it.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:51 PM

4,977 posts, read 3,464,691 times
What's the agenda? I'm on disability and that worries me. I have less than a year to age 62.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:17 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
Quote:
Actually it's the SSDI program and the debate is over whether to take funds from SS to pay for SSDI which is running out of money.

With SS in the state it is do you really want to take money out of that pot ?

Old 01-09-2015, 05:19 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What's the agenda? I'm on disability and that worries me. I have less than a year to age 62.
It's either take money from the SS fund or those on SSDI get a 20% cut in payments.
That is the current debate.

The SSDI fund is running out of money.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:39 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Thanks, Happy Texan, for the information. When original posters are vague about what they mean, it's always somewhat confusing. When I think of the term "Social Security" I think of retirement benefits because that's what most of us have and that's what is mostly discussed in this forum.

O.K., at least we now know what the subject matter of the thread is: SSDI = Social Security Disability Insurance. Contrary to the implication in the original post, Congress is not searching for a way to "take away" anybody's SS, whether disability or regular, but on the contrary is looking at ways to possibly preserve the full disability payments in the face of automatic reductions required by law when and if the SSDI Trust Fund runs out of money. That puts a big difference on the spin of the whole discussion and allows us to proceed in a more rational and objective manner.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:05 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,585,961 times
Quote:
Why don't you take this crap to the political forum? Just sayin. And when so many millions of unemployed newly disabled people piled on taking up millions in funds...what would you do to solve the problem for future ss retirees? I say Go GOP. Stop mingling the funds, set up a different program for those who are disabled. It only takes 2 years to qualify for SSDI. Not enough goes into the pot.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:08 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,585,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I don't think the argument is whether or not you deserve disability income, providing you put in the hours and years to reap the reward. The issue is the draining of ss funds for all of the retirees who managed to go the distance. I feel there should be a separate fund/welfare to cover the injured and ill.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:24 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Lenore and Ariadne

Please distinguish for us the diff between SSDI (disability) and SSI, which I believe is a supplement to regular Soc Security for very low-income people who have very few assets (investments, savings, etc).

(I feel some are still mixing up SSDI with SSI.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement