U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 12:35 PM

1,926 posts, read 994,685 times

Advertisements

I miss being outdoors and busy. Before I retired and moved, I had chores to do as well as work, summer and winter. I think we are meant to move. Too many days inside watching movies, reading, or sitting at the computer make me dull and lazy.

I get out and walk around the block. Its not a good substitute mentally to me for walking to get the mail or something from the grocery. I do it anyway and feel better afterwards.

Do get a checkup with blood work if its been awhile. Take a vitamin, watch what you eat, turn the heat off and open a few windows on bright days. I have the sort of lamps that are supposed to help with SAD. I can't swear that they work but its good task light.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 04:40 PM

8,831 posts, read 7,728,859 times
We have been having a long stretch of cold weather, as have most people. What makes it worse here is the high winds and we haven't seen the sun much. Our normal is about 50 high but we've barely gotten above 35 for most of the past couple of weeks. I already take the vitamin D. I don't doubt if we got back up to days above 50 and feeling a little warmth from the sun, I'd start to feel better.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:52 PM

1,926 posts, read 994,685 times
Does anyone else use the SAD lights?

Old 01-10-2015, 05:27 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,587,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We have been having a long stretch of cold weather, as have most people. What makes it worse here is the high winds and we haven't seen the sun much. Our normal is about 50 high but we've barely gotten above 35 for most of the past couple of weeks. I already take the vitamin D. I don't doubt if we got back up to days above 50 and feeling a little warmth from the sun, I'd start to feel better.
I'm in central Texas and have the same thing. Dreary overcast cold/wet weather.
It's horrible. I said to myself that this must be like what the PNW folks talk about and the SAD conditions that arise.

One really nice day every 2 weeks ain't cutting it for me.

I'm feeling "blah" with these days myself. I think it's the lack of sun.
I don't mind the cold as much as I miss seeing the sun shining.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:37 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,473,663 times
Same here. Has been horrible but today the sun was shining & the sky was a beautiful, beautiful blue & I went to town to buy some yarn. Felt so good to be out & about that the cold was just an inconvenience (long John's, scarf, warm hat, etc.)

Old 01-10-2015, 06:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,304,719 times
If you folks in Texas are depressed because of the weather then us Nebraskans must be suicidal.

We went a few weeks without seeing the sun or getting up to 10 degrees. What makes it extra enjoyable is the 20-45 mile per hour winds we have been having with sub zero temps. Pretty normal for up here.

BTW the cold, winds, 16 hours of darkness doesn't depress me anymore and my energy levels are fine, I'm 61.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:27 PM

8,831 posts, read 7,728,859 times
IMHO, a lot of the averages person's toleration for weather is what they are used to. Its interesting have grown up in the north and lived there for 40 years and now 20 years in the south. After this long, 95 degree days day after day don't bother me much at all. That certainly wasn't the case when I was used to cold weather.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:41 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,079,355 times
We live in North Central Texas and are loving this winter weather. To each his/her own!

Old 01-11-2015, 09:36 AM

6,345 posts, read 5,079,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzdrm View Post
I feel your exhaustion, but this is only January 10th, could you still be recovering from the long holiday season?

I have streamlined my holidays to a positively lazy pace however, I find that tho I seldom cook (not like when my kiddos were home), I did make a few holiday treats and things for holiday potlucks. And tho I give very few gifts I still did some shopping and wrapping. Tho I do minimal decorating I drug out some stuff and then put it back. Tho I go to few holiday parties & concerts, I did go to a few.... you get the idea.

I'm normally pretty energetic but the last few days I'm finding myself sleeping more and I'm just being patient with it and assuming it will take care of itself. A balanced diet, a bit of exercise & some extra sleep should snap me back in a jiffy!

Heck, just viewing some of those holiday cards & letters showing all of the activities of friends requires a nap!
I had a very laidback Christmas season and I loved it. No cookie baking, no gift buying, no decorating. Just relaxing and enjoying the little meals I did make.

Did celebrate xmas and nyears with family, but that was it.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:38 AM

6,345 posts, read 5,079,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
IMHO, a lot of the averages person's toleration for weather is what they are used to. Its interesting have grown up in the north and lived there for 40 years and now 20 years in the south. After this long, 95 degree days day after day don't bother me much at all. That certainly wasn't the case when I was used to cold weather.
Maybe it is just mature age catching up with you. I remember when I found out that I couldn't get down on the floor and look for things under the bed as easily. It was shocking. Not overweight and in good shape, but something just wouldn't work - lol!

Now the beds are on rollers and I just move them around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement