Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 02:24 PM

885 posts, read 1,160,696 times

Advertisements

I remember as a kid loving winter and snow. Even into adulthood.

I am born and raised in NY and still live here.

We couldn't stay outside enough. If we got wet, we went home changed our clothes and went back out until dark: sledding, snow forts and snowball fights, ice skating. Even in my teens and 20s and 30s we were always outside, skiing, walking, snowmobiling, skating, etc.

We had large dogs and had harnesses and hooked the dogs to a sled and had the dogs pull our kids and the neighborhood kids around. Again seems like I was always out, even if just going to work, but also I went for walks, etc.

I'm 66 now and can't stand the cold and snow. I sit in the house and read or do housework. Sometimes I will even mention how pretty everything looks. But I only go out when I have to.

When did this start? Why?

Anyone else have this happen to? Was it just simple childhood joy, but now depression, a change in attitude, "old age" or am I just a curmudgeon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 02:46 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,629,865 times
You are allowed to change during your lifespan!

I don’t like winter but take it as part of the climate and ecosystem package where I live. No winter = drought, among other things.

My DH and I will have shoveled at least 4 hrs each today. Not fun, but again, it goes with the territory. I love seeing the ravens and hawks soaring and playing while I work.

You could move to a warmer climate if there is one that has all the other things you want, too. Once retired, the options widen.

Although your other posts do not smack of depression, of course I don’t know enough about you to decide that. Maybe you are just tired. Weren’t you doing a lot of downsizing and/or renovating? After major work on our house, I don’t even want to think of anything related for a while. Other work can wait and be done in small phases.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:05 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,535,530 times
As long as I can remember I was always cold during the winter. Even today when everyone else starts wearing short sleeves I am still wearing a turtleneck and a windbreaker. There were a few years while going thru the change of life that my hot flashes made me pleasantly warm for the first time in my life.

I am now back to being cold to the bone during the winter months. The flip side, I can take the heat much better than most my friends of similar age during the summer months.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:52 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,446,148 times
Karen,

When i was a kid we played outside too.

But now in my mid 50s i cant stand it....I'm counting down the months and weeks till April arrives with HOPE of spring erupting. 3 months to go.....

We live in NY, and have decided once either father passes, we are out of here for warmer climes. ( lol they aren't going fast enough, lol). So we wait and count the years, too.

I detest snow. I adjust to the cold easier than my bad back and bad hips and bad knees can handle shoveling snow. We bought a snow blower, but its a tight fit in tge narrow single lane short driveway, so it goes largely inused...cars all have to be off the road 2am-6am or they WILL TICKET it from December 1 to march 31, and with my oh needing to be at work at 6 am, cant really use the snowblower anyway.

Until "the move", my feet will be like ice cubes until April-may, i will bundle up and cringe when i see the heating bill......

Old 12-26-2018, 04:00 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,805,866 times
changing attitude towards winter

At 67 I wish it would snow feet here. I loved living in the mountains where it snowed all winter, now if I get a few inches a winter I'm lucky.

Love snow and cold and winter. I detest summer.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:20 PM

9,309 posts, read 5,061,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post

We couldn't stay outside enough. If we got wet, we went home changed our clothes and went back out until dark: sledding, snow forts and snowball fights, ice skating. Even in my teens and 20s and 30s we were always outside, skiing, walking, snowmobiling, skating, etc.

We had large dogs and had harnesses and hooked the dogs to a sled and had the dogs pull our kids and the neighborhood kids around. Again seems like I was always out, even if just going to work, but also I went for walks, etc.

I'm 66 now and can't stand the cold and snow. I sit in the house and read or do housework. Sometimes I will even mention how pretty everything looks. But I only go out when I have to.

Anyone else have this happen to? Was it just simple childhood joy, but now depression, a change in attitude, "old age" or am I just a curmudgeon?
Yep, I feel the same way. I used to enjoy being outside in winter, used to ski regularly, and if I force myself and really bundle up, I still enjoy a good long walk on a sunny, winter day (when the sky is blue), but like you, I find myself wanting to hibernate more in the winter now. I don't want to go out in it. I do suffer from some seasonal depression, the low light being the primary factor.
I use one of those 10,000 lux lights first thing in the morning and am going to force myself back to the gym, because I know exercise is crucial to generating some endorphins and increasing my energy to feel motivated to do - oh - anything! LOL
The biggest worry for me is not wanting to live in a winter climate when I am retired. I want to be able to go outside in reasonable warmth most of the year. sigh

Old 12-26-2018, 04:30 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,206,526 times
Quote:

When I was a kid and hunted, I enjoyed winter in the South. I joined the Army at age 19 and got sent to Korea and spent 1 and 1/2 winters there, a lot of that out in the field. I have hated cold weather since. I prefer being hot.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:31 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,955,562 times
Quote:

Not me, I loved snow as a child and still do.

However, I don't live in an area that has snow on the ground all winter, and even when it is on the ground, we don't shovel it, as it will melt within a few days. I imagine that makes my view of snow much different than your view of snow. To me, the snow is a treat and is beautiful--there is no back-breaking work to shovel it out of the way.

As for being outside when it's cold, I tend to stay indoors, but I don't mind an occasional brisk walk in the winter.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:35 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,740,110 times
Yeah, fresh fluffy snow is fun but then you have shovel it, and worse, shovel wet heavy snow, and dealing with icy streets and clueless drivers, power outages from iced-up power lines and then that beautiful white snow turns to muddy slush and gets scrapped up into big piles of ugly brown snow everywhere. DW broker her wrist once stepping out of car onto a patch of ice and slipped. And my feet were always cold. So no, I don't need winter. That's why we moved to Hawaii. Love it. T-shirt and shorts 365 days a year.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:40 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,084,716 times
In my 20s and 30s, I tolerated winter. By my 40s and 50s I developed an intense dislike that has not changed. I have no interest in learning to ski. Winter just interferes with all of my outdoor interests. It costs a lot of money in heating bills, clothing and wear and tear on the vehicles. It also causes my taxes to go up for snow removal and pothole repair. I am all for more global warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement