U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 04:25 AM

34,716 posts, read 33,749,623 times

Advertisements

"The Office of Personnel Management disabled a Web portal used by federal retirees Monday to address a malfunction that may have left some retirees' information accessible to other individuals visiting the portal."

OPM disables Web portal after finding employee information exposed - FederalNewsRadio.com

The article goes on to say that while logging into their own account they may have had access to your personal information due to a "technical malfunction." Supposedly the story posted yesterday at 4:16P will be updated when info becomes available. Wanna bet on that happening? I say that because this is all they have on the OPM website:

Retirement Services Online.
We are sorry that you are unable to access the Services Online website at this time.
We are currently doing maintenance on the site and expect to have it up again soon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 06:53 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,289,826 times
It's OPM, do you expect excellence?

I've been dealing with these morons since October and still don't have my full retirement being deposited every month. I'm really glad I don't need it to live and play on, but it sure would be nice to see it coming.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:00 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,862,845 times
Oh my! f5fstop I heard from our HR and the two retirement seminars I attended that it was 6 months before you got the entire monthly deposits and that would include the back pay. They told us that to expect initially 80% of your total amount for the 6 months. It is told that they are verifying the final tally in case something is missed.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 AM

1,185 posts, read 766,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Oh my! f5fstop I heard from our HR and the two retirement seminars I attended that it was 6 months before you got the entire monthly deposits and that would include the back pay. They told us that to expect initially 80% of your total amount for the 6 months. It is told that they are verifying the final tally in case something is missed.

OPM has always "verified" your final annuity. the numbers you get from HR are an estimate.

a majority of people seem to be getting their interim payments on time and are finalized rather quickly. there's always going to be outliers for whatever reason, unfortunately. OPM will often "blame" the employee's agency for not submitting complete/accurate information. i'm sure the agencies will say otherwise. i'd guess it's a bit of both. some annuity calculations are difficult, or the agency doesn't get info to OPM in a timely manner. which processing center your package gets sent to also seems to make a difference, boyers seems to have the best turn around time.

about three years ago processing times were horrible. people weren't getting interims timely and at very low amounts, sometimes less than 50%. it's improved a lot but of course when it's your retirement that's not completed timely none of that matters.

2.5 years ago mine was finalized in 3 months, interims began on time at 80%.

there's a three year old running thread on federal soup on the federal retirees sub-forum where folks report their progress with retirement that might give you a good idea of how OPM is doing.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:19 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,162,241 times
Well, Crap I say - DH was going to go there today to look up some tax info.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:37 AM

34,716 posts, read 33,749,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
It's OPM, do you expect excellence?

I've been dealing with these morons since October and still don't have my full retirement being deposited every month. I'm really glad I don't need it to live and play on, but it sure would be nice to see it coming.
I had to get my Congressman involved in mine. They told me I owed them money. They kept sending me calculations. "Calculations" wasn't the problem. I didn't disagree with their method of calculating my monthly pension check. They had my wrong retirement start date. My last day at work was 3/31/xx. Somebody looked at my 52 and instead of typing 4/1/xx as my first day of retirement, they typed 4/7/xx. To them, that meant my retirement payment was effective 5/1/xx (first full month) instead of 4/1/xx so they were looking for me to return a month of payment. It took 2 years to straighten it out. I was thisclose to going to a hearing.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:06 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,162,241 times
When I worked with the VA the retirement HR gal said that waiting time for OPM to get all right was by Agencies. If an agency turned in lousy paperwork then OPM took forever to process it. The better the paperwork turned in by agency the employee got their annuity sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement