Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:28 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times

Advertisements

My logon password at work is '8Months&Counting'.

Shows you where my head is!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 01:29 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
I don't really see the point of waiting for Medicare eligibility if you have Federal Employee Health Benefits.

Go sooner. Look at whether or not the move to a lower COL offsets any costs of going sooner.

That being said, in my experience at the 3 year away mark, the first half went really slow. The last year and a half flew.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 PM

538 posts, read 538,723 times
OP, you seem to be in an enviable position. You obviously enjoy your profession, and have a passion for your outside hobbies and activities. You can retire FROM the workforce and retire TO a life filled with interests that make you happy and fulfilled. Not many people can say that.

Not knowing anything about your finances or family, if I were in your position, I would pack it in sooner, rather than later. Assuming you have the finances to do those things you have listed, why not retire sooner and pursue those interests? Time marches on and we all get older. Participate in, and enjoy, all those exciting activities you mentioned while you have time, money, and health on your side.

Of course, it's easy for me to say these things, but you are the one living your life. You need to make those decisions. In my case, I retired at 60, nearly 3 years ago, and don't regret it at all. I planned for my retirement beginning in the 80s, and all has gone well since, and hopefully will continue (fingers crossed).

As I said, you have a great handle on your current life, and your soon-to-be retired life. The best to you, no matter when you retire.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:31 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
With home appreciation in California tapering off you might reconsider whether it is worth staying in your home for three more years given your long commute. I think the estimate for your area is 5-6% appreciation for 2015 and if the feds ever raise the interest rates, I assume that housing prices may fall a little. Maybe you should take a break from teaching and use that extra time to get your house ready to put on the market for Spring 2016. Then you might be able to rent an apartment closer to work for your last two working years or just retire early. I'd talk to some realtors and/or keep a close eye on the market predictions for future years. There may be some discussions on this topic in the C-D forum for your area.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
OP, you must have some pretty impressive vacation time each year after all those years working. In your shoes, I would sit down and plot out the four or so weeks of vacation for the next three years—something exotic,something you've never done before. A week or more each season of the year that is so exciting that the time between those vacations will fly by. You look strong and healthy in the pic you posted. You can do it.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:07 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
"When you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, it makes it so much harder to stay in the tunnel!"

I ran a business, and decided to sell it exactly 6 months before I actually did, to retire (2 years ago). That 6 months was torture. I had big plans for what I needed to do, and was chomping at the bit.

Hang in there...the closer it gets, the more a tinge of regret sets in. You're just at the awkward, frustrated stage!

Old 01-13-2015, 03:11 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

This sounds very familiar! I actually did something similar. A new control where I worked required you change your password at least every 45 days and you could not repeat a former password. It was getting very difficult coming up with new passwords. Multiply this by about 30 sites I needed to access at work that also had their own password requirements to change every 30, 60 or 90 days.

I started using the number of months until retirement as part of my password. Same basic password, just the number changed as the months flew by. Every time I had to update my password on one of the sites it made me smile!

For some reason it made the time seem to go by a lot quicker.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:16 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
This sounds very familiar! I actually did something similar. A new control where I worked required you change your password at least every 45 days and you could not repeat a former password. It was getting very difficult coming up with new passwords. Multiply this by about 30 sites I needed to access at work that also had their own password requirements to change every 30, 60 or 90 days.

I started using the number of months until retirement as part of my password. Same basic password, just the number changed as the months flew by. Every time I had to update my password on one of the sites it made me smile!

For some reason it made the time seem to go by a lot quicker.

I am lucky then. I just need an ID card (Common Access Card) and a pin number.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I can't wait for retirement either. I plan on staying here another 43 years and 5 months. I will be 92 then and will have worked here for just over 60 years.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:40 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
OP, you must have some pretty impressive vacation time each year after all those years working. In your shoes, I would sit down and plot out the four or so weeks of vacation for the next three years—something exotic,something you've never done before. A week or more each season of the year that is so exciting that the time between those vacations will fly by. You look strong and healthy in the pic you posted. You can do it.
Good plan......alternatively you could plan lots of long weekends and start putting more time into your hobbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement