U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:06 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,464,781 times

Advertisements

(disclaimer: I've never spend even a single day in jail/prison. I apologize if my analogy is incorrect.)

I've done my research and created a timeline for when and where I will retire. It's a loose timeline and could certainly change. On the outside, I will retire on March first, just over three years from now when I am 66 and a half. The reason for March first is that I will have just completed thirty-five years with my employer. I admit that it is a silly reason for choosing a specific date. I could go sooner, but want to wait at least until I'm eligible for Medicare, which is about a year and a half away.

Now that the planning and preparation is done, all that is left is for the time to pass. This is where I feel like I'm serving a sentence and am eagerly awaiting the time when I will be released and can go on to the next phase of my life. I'm "stuck" in my current routine/life and it is difficult to wait for the next phase to begin.

I wish that a day would pass when I wouldn't think about retirement, or some aspect of it, sometime during the day. It is a curse! I think I'm ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 AM

28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I've done my research and created a timeline for when and where I will retire.
March first, just over three years from now when I am 66 and a half.

The reason for March first is that I will have just completed thirty-five years with my employer.
Does the extra time gain more/better pension?

Quote:
want to wait at least until I'm eligible for Medicare, which is about a year and a half away.
There ya go.

Quote:
Now that the planning and preparation is done, all that is left is for the time to pass.
Maybe you need to have someone else lay fresh eyes on all that planning.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
Sounds like you are, indeed, ready!

Why not plan for the future but keep in mind that if you can't "hold out" until March 1, 2018, you have the option of leaving sooner.

With that in mind, start doing small things to prepare yourself for retirement, such as sorting through closets and boxes, finding out what special services you may be eligible for soon, etc.

Time equates to money when one is working, so why not set yourself some goals, too, with putting some money aside for a retirement celebration? That way, every additional week you work until whatever date you retire is adding a bit towards a trip somewhere, or a new car, or new furniture (whatever appeals to you).

It is kind of like a sentence. All of life, actually, can feel like doing penance, depending on your circumstances and frame of mind, lol.

Best wishes!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,787 posts, read 54,440,540 times
Sorry to hear that you are not still finding your job rewarding, challenging and fun. That's one of the problems with staying in one place 35 years, especially if you don't continue to move up or laterally and do different work frequently over that time.
When I reached that point after 17 years I quit, moved, and ran a business for 16 years. Then I got a job that combined the experience/skills from the two and have been very happy here for 6 years with two promotions since 2009. I expect to remain happy here until I retire in about 6-8 years. The downside for me is financial, since my pension will be based on only 12-14 years service plus SS and 401k, but meanwhile I'm enjoying what I do and don't have to count the days to retirement.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:52 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,846,832 times
Volo both MrR and broken have given you some great points and ideas. I would add this. I am similar to you in that I have a scheduled retirement date about 2 years 9 months away. I have a much sooner date if the army decides to send me packing. On either dates I will have the capability to move on with life. What you and I are doing is looking ahead and sometimes that can make that future seem so distant. In my case it is all these weekends and annual training periods that take time out of my home life (always at the most inoportuned times) seem tedious and really a drain. So as they both say find something that will occupy that time or in my case give myself a goal that will allow me to feel like contributing and not just waiting time out.

My goal is pretty simple I have two sides to my coin. My weekend drills and my full time job which are both different but which are dependent upon each other. Weekends I need to find an event to which I give a bit of myself in preparing and showing I am still a valuable member in the unit. On the other side one is already in place as we are going through a major change that will require my full attention and work and when it is complete I will have another year to help smooth out any bumps in the road we come across.

Yeah I know it sounds weird but it is my life. When I am done though I will be able to leave both pay systems knowing I did a good job and earned the rest I will be able to enjoy.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:46 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,742,235 times
Yes, I get it. Myself and several co-workers have said the same thing... one actually said, "I'm just waiting for retirement" There is always a lot of burn out in our jobs.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:06 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,223,870 times
Wow you're ONLY 3 years out....
I'm 54! and 8 years from just 62.....and my full retirement age is 67! (and I've already been meatally checked our from work for a few years)

Here's hoping your 3 -- and my 8 -- fly by! (with all of us safe and healthy!)

Old 01-13-2015, 11:34 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,464,781 times
I love what I do. I get to control, schedule activities, and monitor telemetry for two instruments on two earth-orbiting environmental NASA satellites. The work is interesting, and worthwhile to achieving a greater understanding of the earth's processes. It's not a "job" . . . I get paid for a hobby. Paid very well too.

However, the commute is getting pretty old. I have to wake up at 4:15 every morning and don't get home until almost 6:00 in the evening. The commute is "over the mountain", which is a pleasant drive. But, the hours are long. Then add to that I teach one or two nights a week at the local community college. Not because I have to, (for the money), but because it is fun. I actually dropped one class last year because it wasn't "fun" anymore. Just have one class now.

No . . . it's not the job. I'm just ready to spend time doing what I want to do. I want to bicycle across the country again, this time via a different route. I want to do some more paddling and exploring, (kayaking), and fulfill a life-long dream by doing some sculling. And to start playing competitive league tennis again.

Then there is the other stuff. Like geocaching and visiting more confluence points. Mountain biking and camping. Finally having the time to build that H.O. train layout. And photography. There's still a whole lot of old, decrepit barns out there that need to be documented and photographed. And schooling. Don't need any more degrees, but there is a whole bunch of things I still want to learn about. For example, I want to take physics because that explains how "stuff" and the world works. And Latin, the root language for most of modern, (European and American), society.

More importantly, and a bit less selfish, is to do more volunteering and helping those who are not as fortunate or blessed as I have been.

Nah, I'm not tired of working, (except for the commute). I'm just ready to do other stuff with the days left to this allotted life. There's so much to see, do, and experience out there; and it is difficult with my satellite responsibilities.

p.s. Other than building up the 403(b) a bit more, there is no magic benefit for staying with my employer for 35 years. It's just a number, one that few people these days achieve. One good reason for waiting a bit longer is for the house equity to increase more. I'll be leaving a high cost-of-living area for one with a much lower cost-of-living. The extra equity will most likely allow me to have a residence without a mortgage. A nice retiree benefit from my employer is medical. I'll basically be, as a retiree, paying what I am now as a full-time employee.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I was just expressing a little bit of frustration.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:49 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,742,235 times
I totally get wanting the time to do what you want.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
One thing to look at is if you will have a lump payout for sick time or other coming. Many find that if they retire Dec 31st then the check is cut in January of the next year. if that next year you expect income to decrease because of retirement then its taxed on overall lessor income that year. Many variables. To me its the same really has when I was in Army; relatively your a short timer as we called it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or