U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Make an appointment with SS and discuss it with them. I was told I could collect 1/2 of my H's SS as a widow's benefit when I turn 60.
Actually, you should be receiving 71.5%.

Survivors Planner: Social Security Benefit Amounts For The Surviving Spouse By Year*Of*Birth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:36 PM

13,884 posts, read 25,306,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Thanks! This was something I didn't know until my H died this year. I told a friend about this who was widowed in her early 40's and she didn't know either. This will make a huge difference in her life!

Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 AM

1 posts, read 763 times
Divorced for 10 yrs, husband just passed I never remarried, but he is remarried. Would I be entitled to his pension or ss, in the state of Md? It is not in my divorce decree.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeCee2 View Post
Divorced for 10 yrs, husband just passed I never remarried, but he is remarried. Would I be entitled to his pension or ss, in the state of Md? It is not in my divorce decree.
You may be eligible for Social Security Survivor benefits. How old are you? How long were you married before the divorce decree was actually signed?

You are not entitled to pension benefits unless you have a Qualified Domestic Relations Order that was part of your divorce decree.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 AM

19,784 posts, read 19,880,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeCee2 View Post
You had to have been married for at least 10 years (and not remarried) to be eigible for SS benefits.
It did not have to be in your decree.
More information
Retirement Planner: • If You Are Divorced

Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You had to have been married for at least 10 years (and not remarried) to be eligible for SS benefits.
It did not have to be in your decree.
More information
Retirement Planner: • If You Are Divorced
Not exactly. You can remarry after age 60 (or after age 50 if disabled) and remain eligible for the benefits. (Or, for that matter, you can remarry before age 60, divorce your current spouse a few days before you turn 60 and then remarry your current "spouse" the day after you turn 60.)

Old 07-07-2012, 07:17 AM

638 posts, read 1,411,030 times
If we're both collecting SS (his being the largest amt) right now, and he were to die; not only would I lose mine, but as a widow under 66, I would only be able to collect about 60% of what he was receiving? (unless I was at full retirement age?)

That would drop our monthly SS almost in half.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 430 times
My husband died at the age 51, he served in the army for 4 years and worked for the post Office for 26 yrs. He also drove truck before and part time thru-out his years. I have been receiving annunity payment since his death. I just turned 60, my question is can I draw widows benefit on Bernie's Social Security and annunity. Both would be of my husbands employments. I have never remarried

Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 PM

424 posts, read 386,960 times
You should contact SS and see if he was insured for Social Security. Often, postal employees paid into a NON-covered pension plan- the one paying you an annuity (CSRS). But, he might have had enough quarters of coverage at the time he died from the truck driving etc. for you to get something. You can check to see how much you would receive now. Call 1-800-772-1213 and either see if they will provide a widow's estimate on the phone, or make an appointment for an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement