U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,599 posts, read 39,974,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
if you can't afford to retire with ACA subsidizes then you can't afford to retire. ....
ACA is temporary at best.

Hope they offer some alternatives, (Unlike the way the GOV has been REDUCING my HC options since I retired)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 10:42 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,159,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
If retiring before Medicare kicks in, how do you afford health insurance?

How have you done it? Thanks.
OP - as a federal employee my husband carried his full health insurance into retirement - paying same as when a employee - only once a month instead of biweekly.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:06 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,300,496 times
My company is paying half of my private insurance until I reach 65. Half of my private insurance cost is still higher then ACA would cost. But because I have private insurance, I always get in to see the doctor the same day.

I very justifiable expense.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:15 AM

5,395 posts, read 21,401,588 times
For ten years we did OK with very high deductible policies but now that the government has inserted itself into health insurance you have fewer options. You will just have to see what is available to you in your location but I bet it is now much more expensive than you would like.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:16 AM

3,850 posts, read 9,444,587 times
I'm retiring when DH hits 65 and is eligible for Medicare. My retirement budget includes $1000 a month for healthcare costs - that's my premium plus any copays or supplemental insurance for both of us. I hope it's enough. I plan to work part time to supplement income until I get to Medicare.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 AM

16,408 posts, read 28,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
basically tex is correct . if you can't afford the policy you can't afford to retire.

i will cobra for 2-1/2 years in july. then i will be eligible for medicare. ny has extended cobra to 3 years.

while i have an obama plan it is a small business plan and the rates and terms are much better than the individual plans. marilyn is a bit older so she starts medicare in august so i will just need a single plan.
One thing NY'ers who aren't on Obama plans should remember about this:

If your employer is self-insured, you are SOL and that COBRA extension doesn't come into play because NY is specifically regulating insurance companies doing business in NY, not employers who pay their own employees' claims.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM

71,626 posts, read 71,777,271 times
Interesting fact

Old 01-15-2015, 12:21 PM

21,541 posts, read 44,018,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
DH is on Medicare, and I get my insurance from the exchange. We had to pay COBRA ($$$!!!) for a month because ....I didn't want to risk a non-covered stretch that would cause lifetime penalties for DH's PartB and PartD.
Why would lack of private coverage for you affect your husband's Medicare? Husband is already enrolled in Medicare Part B and Part D. Your status in the private insurance world matters not a whit. Each of you is a stand-alone entity in the Medicare world.

Only you are subject to penalties for late enrollment in Medicare and only if you don't enroll timely. when the time comes. Your status has nothing to do with his.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:40 PM

7,116 posts, read 8,158,301 times
This is the way it went for us.

I owned a business that covered both the wife and I. I sold the business at age 65 to retire, and my wife retired then, also (age 63). I had declined Medicare just before my 65th birthday, as the business medical insurance was so much better. My wife declined Medicare earlier this year, just before she turned 65. I sold the business with the proviso that both I and my wife would participate in the medical insurance for life, as an ersatz employee. It is written into the sales agreement, by a business attorney. We had planned it out that way, before the sale. We did not want Medicare.

The selling price for the business was adjusted accordingly. It still netted a good profit!

Old 01-15-2015, 01:15 PM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Any one attempted to plan/adjust there income stream to keep as close to the 18K ACA (Obamacare) to get the max sub-subsidy on the health Plans?
Hell no! In fact I'd put those ACA subsidies in the "be careful what you ask for" category, as in numerous strings and unexpected consequences attached. But maybe that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement