U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2015, 11:32 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,481,157 times
Reputation: 26532

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Saying that the taxes I paid, both state and federal and county and city, (and the sales taxes and other taxes I continue to pay) over my entire working life, has in no way contributed to the subsidized housing I now live in, is like saying that the roads you're driving on were in no part paid for by the tax payers who have stopped paying taxes where those roads are.
I'm confused. You say you're eligible for subsidized housing because you're on SSI which, to my understanding, is a needs-based program designed to give assistance to disabled people who: (a) haven't yet reached the age to collect Social Security retirement benefits; (b) haven't paid enough into the system to qualify for SSDI. Those who DO receive SS retirement income can in some cases also receive SSI.

My confusion arises because up until quite recently you worked as a property manager in an apartment complex and have said in several threads that you "retired" after that. I don't know what your disability is and don't care to know as it's none of my business but since you've not yet reached retirement age you must be collecting SSI instead of SSDI because you didn't pay enough into the system to qualify for the latter. So if that's the case then the argument about, "the taxes I paid, both state and federal and county and city, (and the sales taxes and other taxes I continue to pay) over my entire working life" relating to your being eligible for subsidized housing doesn't make a lot of sense - and particularly taking into account that you were working until quite recently.

Maybe you can easily clear up my confusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2015, 11:44 AM
 
2,043 posts, read 1,952,633 times
Reputation: 3459
hey I think this thread has been hijacked and turning into politics and controversies let's get back to the OP and start a new thread for subsidized housing controversies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2015, 01:07 PM
 
10,819 posts, read 8,073,350 times
Reputation: 17034
Today's Dallas Morning News has an article on the topic.
Not saying I agree with all Yip says or that it fits the OP's situation, but it's an interesting read:

Planning is essential for security after retiring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2015, 01:44 PM
 
6,330 posts, read 5,069,672 times
Reputation: 12866
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM fitter View Post
I am 31 months away from 62 yrs. old. I have 25.7 years with my employer, with full pension being 30 years. I also need to say that I work a job with lots of available overtime.

I know not to compare my income in retirement, with my current income, mostly because of the overtime. Also, my current job is not what I usually do. It is much, much better. Not financially, but in terms of wear and tear. I am a skilled tradesman, currently working full time in an office environment.

OK, finally my issue. My wife and I live in Texas, we followed my job. I'll start out with the mandatory apology. Not to offend anyone, but we do not like living here. This is something I choose not to share with my co-workers, although they may sense it. People here are very sensitive about their state. If you visit my home town and tell me you would rather do jail time than ever go their again, no problem. To each his own. When I talk about investigating other places to retire, they have no concept of why I would want to leave.

That said, am I being foolish to take the early retirement, and take SSI at 62? I think I would be happy with less money in a place I feel comfortable in. We can't afford to go back to where we are from, but are looking at Fla., North and South Carolina, and Delaware.

Will the extra money in retirement, that I would get by waiting, be worth 5 more years here? By then Ill be 65. Then it becomes "why not wait one more year to get full social?"

I don't know if any of this makes sense, or if I have really asked a question. Guess I just wanted to vent. If you are reading this....thanks for your time.
I'm from Texas and I don't love it either. I don't get the obsessive feelings about it. Its blah. But, anyway, I would wait until you hit your 30. Time flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2015, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
Reputation: 35348
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm confused. You say you're eligible for subsidized housing because you're on SSI which, to my understanding, is a needs-based program designed to give assistance to disabled people who: (a) haven't yet reached the age to collect Social Security retirement benefits; (b) haven't paid enough into the system to qualify for SSDI. Those who DO receive SS retirement income can in some cases also receive SSI.

My confusion arises because up until quite recently you worked as a property manager in an apartment complex and have said in several threads that you "retired" after that. I don't know what your disability is and don't care to know as it's none of my business but since you've not yet reached retirement age you must be collecting SSI instead of SSDI because you didn't pay enough into the system to qualify for the latter. So if that's the case then the argument about, "the taxes I paid, both state and federal and county and city, (and the sales taxes and other taxes I continue to pay) over my entire working life" relating to your being eligible for subsidized housing doesn't make a lot of sense - and particularly taking into account that you were working until quite recently.

Maybe you can easily clear up my confusion?
Well, I can't guarantee that you will not continued to be confused, of course. I have no control over anyone's ability to comprehend things. And being my nemesis on CD, who lives in the Virgin Islands and is an ex-pat British citizen, I'm also pretty sure you don't really have any personal interest in how the US Social Security system operates.

But, for anyone else, who may find this curious, SSDI is based on your most recent work credits. So, if you become disabled, go through your workers comp, then state disability, and finally get to your Social Security hearing, which can take several years, now you don't have enough recent work credits to collect SSDI.

So, Social Security's answer, is to give you SSI (if you're too young for retirement benefits), until you become of an age to collect your Soc Sec old age benefits, which you can only collect if you have enough lifetime credits, which I do. At that point, I will be switched to the SS old age benefits.

So, it's the Soc Sec system itself that causes this dilemma. First, you have to have been unable to work for one year, then it can take 3 - 4 years to get to a hearing. It's the system itself that causes the person to not be able to collect SSDI, but there's no suing the government over this imposed delay, which then causes a person to no longer have enough recent work credits to get the SSDI they otherwise would have qualified for, and would have paid a larger monthly benefit.

Sorry to burst any bubbles of people who were rubbing their hands with glee that I must, in fact, have been some kind of slouch her "entire working life." But, that ain't the case.

Well, no, actually I'm not sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,481,157 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, I can't guarantee that you will not continued to be confused, of course. I have no control over anyone's ability to comprehend things. And being my nemesis on CD, who lives in the Virgin Islands and is an ex-pat British citizen, I'm also pretty sure you don't really have any personal interest in how the US Social Security system operates.
Thank you for explaining how the system works. Your "nemesis"? You've lost me there.

Thanks to your explanation, I am no longer confused but in fact you were entirely incorrect in assuming that I have no personal interest in the subject as indeed I do. I collect Social Security retirement benefits (I paid into the system for 43 years) but SSI is unavailable here in the US Virgin Islands, thus my curiosity in how it's applied and how one establishes eligibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2015, 10:11 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
Reputation: 29081
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why should I thank you for collecting on insurance I paid for myself?

May you never become disabled and have to use the insurance you paid for.

And if you want to get into the logistics of what I supposedly cost you - out of your own pocket - let's say the market rent for my apartment is about $550. I pay $335. This leaves a difference that is subsidized of $215 per month. Divide that by how many people? Some of the subsidy is federal, state and county. But, let's use federal. How many people live in the US now? Let me google it...

Okay, Wikipedia says there are about 300 million people living in the U.S. So exactly how much out of pocket are you, personally, for my subsidized apartment, that I paid insurance for my entire working life?

Just sayin'. Feel rankled all you like. But, you're not personally affected by any measurable degree by the fact that I am in a subsidized apartment.

Sheesh, the arrogance of this line of thinking rankles me.
Let me chime-in here. After all, the subject of this thread is, Am I looking at things the right way?

I have to admit that I'm getting "rankled" with this line of thinking. Countless threads and constant posts almost always end up with you addressing the fact that you are in subsidized housing and I would guess, receiving Medicaid or subsidized ACA coverage as well. I think most of us got that message long ago. It does not impress. I don't think you're looking at things the right way.

Remember, most of us paid taxes our entire working lives - 45 years in my case - and most of us who have retired continue to pay taxes (just filed our returns today) so, yes, we continue to subsidize you and those like you.

I don't think any of us begrudge any of you who have legitimate needs for assistance. At least I hope not. However, at the same time we don't appreciate having it rubbed in our faces and especially not defiantly. After all, whatever you have to pay is all well and good but in the final analysis, we're paying the rest. A little appreciation would go a long way. Better yet, stop harping on it all the time.

That's all!

Back to the matter at hand: OP, all I can suggest is that you crunch the numbers ands figure out what, literally, you can live with. I ultimately retired at age 62 which was two or three ears earlier than I had planned. I just hit a "wall" and decided I was done. It cost me several hundred dollars a month but was one my best "career" choices ever.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-17-2015 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
Reputation: 35348
Information about subsidized housing is data that some people need. I don't feel the need to cower and lick anyone's boots who think they are paying my rent. I feel no shame, and simply share my experience and opinion here. Like everyone else. If anyone doesn't like my posts, they are free to put me on their ignore list.

That's all.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 01-18-2015 at 12:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
16,368 posts, read 10,355,263 times
Reputation: 28570
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
hey I think this thread has been hijacked and turning into politics and controversies let's get back to the OP and start a new thread for subsidized housing controversies.
yes. please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2015, 05:06 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,481,157 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If anyone doesn't like my posts, they are free to put me on their ignore list.
But apparently not free to politely question you or disagree with you without a withering retort.

My apologies to the posters who felt that my questions were off topic. I saw an opportunity to ask questions about something which I found confusing and intended no disrespect to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top