U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 08:57 AM

15,213 posts, read 31,190,076 times

Advertisements

I sympathize with those of you living in the arctic tundra - I live in Florida and I absolutely cannot take any cold weather - it's even been a little too chilly for me here lately, and of course it is NOTHING like what you guys have to endure. I probably would not be motivated to go to the gym either, if I had to deal with all that.

I really do love my Y, though. I used to think I wasn't a joiner, or that I would not like classes, but I started doing classes and found out I LOVE them. There is something fun and motivating about working out to music, and having an instructor and lots of other people doing the same. Plus I make new friendships. I was using the machines there, but I prefer doing my training at home, I have my own equipment, and I do a kind of "minimal" strength workout now due to my back issues.

Don't give up, though! You will find something that works for you - the first step is the hardest. Once you get past certain hurdles and make it a habit you will find that it is it's own reward, especially when you see results in lost weight, better muscle tone and feeling better. Plus, it makes you feel good about yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 02:28 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,040,423 times
And once you get into the routine of whatever form of exercise you find you like, it will be hard to stop doing it.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:09 PM

13,895 posts, read 25,351,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
And once you get into the routine of whatever form of exercise you find you like, it will be hard to stop doing it.
I've heard this all my life and it's never been true for me. I pretty much despise forced exercise.

I started running because it took too long to walk 5 miles. I resented the time. Kept waiting to get the 'runner's high' thing. One day I went out and ran 8 miles. The only thing I got was tired.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
I am so glad to see that I am not alone in having these debates in my head about whether to go to a gym, or not. My wife and I have been, many years ago a member of the Y, and the last place we lived, we were a member of Gold's Gym. We really liked the feeling of the workout, and the feeling of knowing we are doing something good for ourselves, but for the past couple of years we haven't had the desire to pick a day, and time, and drive into town to workout. We went last week to Planet Fitness for a tour of the facility, and really liked it, but that seems to be the extent of it. I am guessing a lot of the problem is motivation, and with us, that is in short supply. I haven't given up, though. The membership application is still laying on the kitchen table, I think.
Mine's filled out and still waiting under the visor in the car, awaiting final judgment till I tour the senior center gym. (I was going to go today but something came up as I was about to go.) I wonder how many gym membership applications all over the world are awaiting action, lol.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I sympathize with those of you living in the arctic tundra - I live in Florida and I absolutely cannot take any cold weather - it's even been a little too chilly for me here lately, and of course it is NOTHING like what you guys have to endure. I probably would not be motivated to go to the gym either, if I had to deal with all that.

I really do love my Y, though. I used to think I wasn't a joiner, or that I would not like classes, but I started doing classes and found out I LOVE them. There is something fun and motivating about working out to music, and having an instructor and lots of other people doing the same. Plus I make new friendships. I was using the machines there, but I prefer doing my training at home, I have my own equipment, and I do a kind of "minimal" strength workout now due to my back issues.

Don't give up, though! You will find something that works for you - the first step is the hardest. Once you get past certain hurdles and make it a habit you will find that it is it's own reward, especially when you see results in lost weight, better muscle tone and feeling better. Plus, it makes you feel good about yourself!
Thanks, this is encouraging. Back to positivity.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I know I should buy exercise equipment but I dread having to move, sell or donate the items if I move to a warmer climate.
Now that's an excuse I'll keep closely in mind, works for me.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my reward is the no sugar added blue bunny ice cream. it is amazing stuff. I think when I retire I want to be the blue bunny spokesman the stuff is that good and a fraction of the sugar, calories and fat of regular
What's in there as a substitute for sugar?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM

698 posts, read 644,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This is the last thing I want to do, but I realize finally at the age of 66 that living in the North I am not getting the outdoor exercise I want to believe I'm getting. I'm turning into a couch potato. I'm unnerved by this. I have never done a gym on a regular basis, and in the past when I've tried it, I've had an aversion to the equipment (doing the settings on each, worrying about germs from previous users, feeling bored with the routines, etc). I have to do something or I'm going to croak. I need some advice on this, and encouragement. I realize most of you have been doing the gym for years, and it's old hat to you. I am going kicking and screaming.
If I were you, I would get a friend or volunteer somehow, someway, to get my exercise in.

It's no fun to exercise kicking and screaming

Old 01-20-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
If I were you, I would get a friend or volunteer somehow, someway, to get my exercise in.

It's no fun to exercise kicking and screaming
I really wish I had an exercise buddy, that would make a lot of difference I'm sure. While I ponder this whole thing I continue to use the minitrampoline, a fair workout without the impact if I do it consistently.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:34 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,068,792 times
Believe me, there are many more applications that get turned in and paid for and then only used for a few months...that's how these gyms make money, by high turnover, they expect it. But once you get into the routine, it is well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or