Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,604,917 times

Advertisements

Good points made above. The gym has lots of different equipment and gear to use..and classes, too. Never the same thing if you want variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 06:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,551,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You never know, when you go kicking and screaming into anything, whether you might come to like it after all. Hence, the ask for encouragement.
Have you ever heard of a Nobel prizewinner, a true innovator, or a great author who revealed attendance at a ''gym'' to an interviewer?

Think back to school. Were the athletes the intellectual elite?

Romp with your dogs; take leisurely bicycle rides; buy a stationary exercise bicycle if you feel compelled. Why, however, go someplace filled with boring people to suffer a very enhanced risk of infections including MRSA?

Physical culture won't extend your life although you may think it has. Try to imagine sitting in a doctor's waiting room with nothing to read. Think of those beloved periods of P.E. in school.

Have some coconut ice cream as a reward for thinking about exercise; you deserve it. Then read something. Consider the medieval traveler Ibn al-Mujawir who wrote of the edible monopedalian poets of Hadramawt. We could say that the concept represented a meeting of Pliny and Euell Gibbons centuries before the latter was born. How many physical culturists would even know what I'm talking about? You do, however.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:42 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,654,533 times
I like my Gazelle Edge very much. Quiet, inexpensive, low impact. Home.

Also do isometrics.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,929,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Is there some way I could try it out before purchase? Do chain retail stores sell it?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,637,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Have you ever heard of a Nobel prizewinner, a true innovator, or a great author who revealed attendance at a ''gym'' to an interviewer?

Think back to school. Were the athletes the intellectual elite?

Romp with your dogs; take leisurely bicycle rides; buy a stationary exercise bicycle if you feel compelled. Why, however, go someplace filled with boring people to suffer a very enhanced risk of infections including MRSA?

Physical culture won't extend your life although you may think it has. Try to imagine sitting in a doctor's waiting room with nothing to read. Think of those beloved periods of P.E. in school.

Have some coconut ice cream as a reward for thinking about exercise; you deserve it. Then read something. Consider the medieval traveler Ibn al-Mujawir who wrote of the edible monopedalian poets of Hadramawt. We could say that the concept represented a meeting of Pliny and Euell Gibbons centuries before the latter was born. How many physical culturists would even know what I'm talking about? You do, however.
I think it quite the opposite. Fitness centers are much cleaner than most public places to go to; including restaurants.Having others around and developing a habit means your much more likely to continue than doing it alone. the equipment is much safer because it cost a bunch. look at ole harry Reid and his home exercise equipment injury. No way some of the equipment being sold would be put in a commercial fitness center. Ask anyone at a hospital and they will tell you the cleanest place other than the operating room is the rehab area because its constantly cleaned. Heck a library is one of worse; think about it.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,533,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post

Also do isometrics.
I just looked it up. Knowing me, I would never use it. I'll just go to the pool at the Y. I pay for it every month with auto-withdrawal so it's a waste of money to NOT go. That's what I say now, we'll see.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is there some way I could try it out before purchase? Do chain retail stores sell it?
yes. Places like target, kmart, other marts, online stores carry them. Get the cheapest model. You might find a gently used one already put together. The only warning I would give is that it takes two people to assemble it. I know because I put mine together myself.

When my husband was alive, we bought an expensive treadmill with all the bells and whistles. I hated the noise and the size and returned it. The gazelle is silent, has a pleasant rhythm and is easy to move and store.

and its cheap

isometrics are free

Old 01-22-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just looked it up. Knowing me, I would never use it. I'll just go to the pool at the Y. I pay for it every month with auto-withdrawal so it's a waste of money to NOT go. That's what I say now, we'll see.
I would like to do water aerobics or just walk in the pool but the chlorine eats me up

Also, I am becoming Howard Hughes in my old age and I hate the gym/pool smell/ambiance...but that's just me

Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 AM

81 posts, read 64,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Neither of us wanted to waste energy at a gym. DH was bored, waiting for me to retire. So he got himself a job with the county parks as a groundskeeper. This way he gets paid to exercise! I tried to volunteer to work with him, but the head ranger was a bit leery of letting spouses work together (the dynamic can get a bit wierd). Since that didn't work, I'm in line to volunteer to restack books at our local library. It's just as mindless as gym workouts, but at least there's some additional positive result after we've exercised.

Shoot - they don't even hook up that gym equipment to batteries to reclaim all that spent energy!
Yes, I mean no offense but am surprised at widespread opinion that the only way exercise counts is when it is formal, measured, structured and targeted for specific body parts. A great many of us would benefit from just moving around more!

My ancestors lived long lives: yet they ate meat, whole milk and cream, certainly didn't have gyms. Maybe the absence of that particular stressor extended all of our ancestors' lives. Not even any visors to hold unused passes! They were Swiss and presumably did lots of outdoor work and exercise as a natural part of life. One who was still living over there, died "early," a few years ago, at 85, in a climbing accident.

When there have been crises like intense storms, maybe even so bad that the National Guard and other organizations are called to work, or just community volunteers pitch in, many onlookers like to go and watch the work. Sometimes they drive, and some even jog PAST while they look. Which ones are wasting energy? Which ones benefit?

At any rate, anything that means more exercise can't be a bad thing, and doesn't have to necessitate finding affordable dues and workout clothes, the boredom of getting used to it, or even the increased exposure to colds and flu in closely-confined indoor spaces.

Now I hope nobody comes along and mentions mold in library books.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 AM

17,490 posts, read 38,960,304 times
One of the benefits to going to a gym is the motivation factor when you are there to work out (or participate in classes, etc) If you have not established a workout routine, it can be difficult to motivate oneself to use at-home equipment.

Now, I DID start that way - I bought a Bayou Fitness Total Trainer (like Total Gym) and that along with dumbbells and resistance bands brought me a long way. I did actually use them regularly. I rejoined my Y when I decided I wanted to "mix-it-up." I thought I wanted to use their machines again; which I did at first, but then decided I liked going for the classes instead, and continue my strength training at home.

I stay motivated now, because I have lost so much weight and have the best figure I have had in decades, not to brag, but even a few twenty-something guys in the neighborhood flirt with me - heeheehee (of course that is seeing me at a distance!)

Anyway, lots of advantages to having some equipment at home if you are self-motivated, especially if you don't want to venture out in nasty weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement