U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:58 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,868,233 times

Advertisements

Tip from a long-time gym "rat" for post-workout hunger.

--sometimes hunger is really masking thirst. Before eating, try a cup of your favorite tea (maybe sweetened with a bit of honey) and/or a glass of tepid water (or at least, not ice cold.

--after drinking tea and/or water see if you're still truly hungry. If you are, eat a banana or a sliced apple spread with a bit of good quality peanut butter.

--or, my go-to post-gym snack is often a glass of water plus a small handful of raisins and walnuts or almonds.

--a small low-sugar yogurt topped with some fresh furit is very satisfying and filling.

--or, my go-to post-gym snack is often a glass of water plus a small handful of raisins and walnuts or almonds.

This combo is nutrient-dense and filled with minerals. A small amount is very satisfying.

Congratulations on sticking with it. As you've noticed, exercising has many benefits in feeling healthy other than--and in addition to-- weight-loss. The sense of well-being is often enough to change attitudes on hating exercise to loving it! It did for me.

Proud of you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Tip from a long-time gym "rat" for post-workout hunger.

--sometimes hunger is really masking thirst. Before eating, try a cup of your favorite tea (maybe sweetened with a bit of honey) and/or a glass of tepid water (or at least, not ice cold.

--after drinking tea and/or water see if you're still truly hungry. If you are, eat a banana or a sliced apple spread with a bit of good quality peanut butter.

--a small low-sugar yogurt topped with some fresh furit is very satisfying and filling.

This combo is nutrient-dense and filled with minerals. A small amount is very satisfying.

Congratulations on sticking with it. As you've noticed, exercising has many benefits in feeling healthy other than--and in addition to-- weight-loss. The sense of well-being is often enough to change attitudes on hating exercise to loving it! It did for me.

Proud of you!!
Thanks! The folks on this thread are helping me do it. I've decided to give it a 3-month trial and not judge anything at all, even the shallow and annoying and loud talk (and the TV game shows blaring) between seniors at the gym. I did talk the trainer into putting the TV on closed-caption, and then two old ladies came in and asked to "hear" the game show. Then others could be heard talking about all the stuff they're going to eat at lunch, ham and cheese and the whole nine yards. But as I said, I'm putting blinders on and keep going not going to judge for 83 more days!

Old 02-05-2015, 05:31 PM

4,977 posts, read 3,462,838 times
Good for you!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:42 PM

21,896 posts, read 14,390,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks! The folks on this thread are helping me do it. I've decided to give it a 3-month trial and not judge anything at all, even the shallow and annoying and loud talk (and the TV game shows blaring) between seniors at the gym. I did talk the trainer into putting the TV on closed-caption, and then two old ladies came in and asked to "hear" the game show. Then others could be heard talking about all the stuff they're going to eat at lunch, ham and cheese and the whole nine yards. But as I said, I'm putting blinders on and keep going not going to judge for 83 more days!
Good luck!

I am off to my gym tomorrow. Its become just something I do. After 3 months, I think you should notice a difference in how you feel, and how you look.

You go girl!

Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 AM

9,583 posts, read 10,930,257 times
I heard about an oldster who dropped dead from anaphylactic shock at the town rec center. Then I read this. It's worthy of consideration and definitely worth consulting the sawbones.

Exercise-Induced Anaphylaxis Explained

Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 AM

34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
At 68yrs old and retired i get to the gymn everyday for an hour and a half,i dont go to loose weight or build muscle i just like to make sure my body gets a mild workout every day, i find the experience gives some structure to my day as my ideal time is 4;30am to 6am it starts the day very well, i also enjoy the social dynamics that come with going to the gymn as i get to chat with a bunch of people while i'm there.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I heard about an oldster who dropped dead from anaphylactic shock at the town rec center. Then I read this. It's worthy of consideration and definitely worth consulting the sawbones.

Exercise-Induced Anaphylaxis Explained
I've never heard of this, but I'm glad I read it. I'm allergic to peanuts and wheat, but once in a while I indulge in a piece of toast for breakfast. I'm now going to take these allergies a lot more seriously.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 AM

15,199 posts, read 31,165,544 times
Quote:
Proud of you, NeG for starting and committing! That is the hardest part of any journey.

I am also proud of the rest of you who commit to taking care of your bodies regularly. It certainly improves quality of life. I always say I don't care about the quantity, I'm all about the quality.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:44 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,236,672 times
Quote:
Sounds like you need earplugs instead of blinders

Old 02-06-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Sounds like you need earplugs instead of blinders
Earplugs, blinders, and gloves. I'm getting tired of wiping down the machine handles before and after I use each one. Can anyone recommend a snug-fitting, lightweight pair of gym gloves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or