U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 10:27 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times

Advertisements

Yep; I see plenty of older people that do a minimum workout of walking on thread mill and then safe upper body exercises on machines. Most forget that cardio is more than just walking for best results. I have talked to many who got their start by cardio rehab after surgery or other related problems. doctor sent them for.They typical went thru a 36 session rehab and results convinced them of continuing. They all say going to a center is much more likely to become routine than at home which many tried. Boomers are the real growth area of fitness centers versus the old body building gym types.

Last edited by texdav; 01-17-2015 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 11:57 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,251,423 times
I knew that when I retired that I would utilize my Y membership much more than when I was working. I do get dressed for the Y as soon as I get up in the morning and I go every day except Wednesday. I first started with zumba but knew that I needed to add something else. I have also used a personal trainer, but the Y does have coaches in the equipment rooms. In addition to Zumba, I also do Barre (aptly named since you need to hit a bar when over), weights for women, Kettlebells, and TRX. I keep planning to add some water classes and maybe yoga, but just can't seem to get into it.

When the weather has been bad, like last winter, I used YouTube for my workouts along with Leslie Sansone DVD's and the execise programs On Demand.

What keeps me really motivated is that my clothes, especially my jeans, are never tight and I feel great and am probably the healthiest that I have ever been.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:49 PM

284 posts, read 352,787 times
I turn 64 next month so am close to your age NEG.
I do not belong to a gym myself, but do try to maintain my strength and physical abilities by using body-weight exercises like situps, pushups, dips and so on, and use running for aerobic fitness to keep my heart and lungs healthy. I do think a gym is a good idea if it's affordable for you.

I enjoy the competitive aspect of running races and use this as additional motivation beyond simply the health benefits, to stick with a fairly demanding training schedule. Some people would not want to do this, and for others who are older or have medical problems, it may simply not be appropriate or even possible.

I would agree with Mathjak (and others) that almost any physical activity you enjoy has benefits, but the more you put into it the greater the benefit. Bowling will not give you the same benefits as tennis, a 30 minute stroll is not the same as a 4 hour hike over a hilly trail and so on. You may be surprised to find how much your fitness can improve.

You might find beginner walking or running groups available at a local running store, this can be a good place to start.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:04 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Friday is one of the days I don't work . I was there today by 6:30 am running .

it is pretty crowded at those hours
Your secret to getting up and out so early?

Old 01-19-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
NEG, are you 100% positive you won't like the gym? All my life I tried to get a few days of exercise a week and did it just by walking (outside or in a mall in bad weather) and at home on the exercise bike. Never saw myself as a gym person. Too old, too cheap, not the type to take classes. Never did Jazzercise in my life! But I toured gyms twice (actually as a mystery shopper) and decided to join.

Part of the reason for joining was to have somewhere to go and have a routine. I had just retired and was feeling at a loss with nowhere to go and nobody to talk to except my husband. Started to go and even though I didn't love doing the machines (weights and cardio), I wanted to get my money's worth (I belong to Lifetime---really pricey---$79 a month membership), so I was determined to go several days a week.

Decided to try some group fitness classes, even though I was sure I wouldn't like it. Turned out I love them. Love the instruction. Enjoy the friendships. So now I am doing yoga, pilates, kickboxing, step, weights, and water aerobics. I take it one to three classes a day. I'm in better shape than I've ever been. walking is great exercise, but there's something to be said for working on strength, balance, and flexibility instead.

You don't sound like you are as desperate for the structure/routine and social interaction as I was, so maybe this wouldn't work for you. And like I said, the membership is so expensive and I am so frugal that I can only justify it by going daily! My gym also has some amenities that serve as my reward (steam/sauna/jacuzzi). My health insurance company (Humana) gives me points every time I go---and these are redeemable for Amazon gift cards!

And it's aside from the physical part, I've strengthened myself emotionally and mentally from the gym. I've been tempted to write a book "Everything I Know In Life I Learned At the Gym!"

YMMV, but why not just give it a try? If I could become a gym rat (me, who as a child never was an active kid, no coordination/strength/stamina, last one to be chosen for athletic teams), anyone can!
This post (and other posts here) have convinced me. I'll pry myself out of bed earlier tomorrow morning and will pretend I'm a robot and will command my car to the gym at the senior center. I've tried gyms in the past, and not liked it mostly because of the bending way down to make the adjustments on the equipment. Maybe I'm in a bit better shape now to do it. Maybe I'll think of it more as a way to make friendships, and as you say, to better structure my time. I waste a lot of it on trivial matters.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:52 AM

MLK day. I thought everything would be closed today but on a whim I phoned the Y just now and they are open. Not sure if the sr ctr next door is. I'm dressed and out the door for a tour. $36/mo for seniors for any and all classes plus participation in the sr ctr gym with a trainer, and they're waiving the $50 join fee right now. I guess the U is trying to tell me something.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:41 AM

15,190 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
MLK day. I thought everything would be closed today but on a whim I phoned the Y just now and they are open. Not sure if the sr ctr next door is. I'm dressed and out the door for a tour. $36/mo for seniors for any and all classes plus participation in the sr ctr gym with a trainer, and they're waiving the $50 join fee right now. I guess the U is trying to tell me something.
Good luck! I belong to the Y and just love it! It's a great deal.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:33 AM

6,121 posts, read 9,073,863 times
NEG: Please be sure to come back later and tell us what you thought about your day !!! I am so like you. It's only 50 outside and so I am still on the couch in my jammies ! Brrrrr....

Old 01-19-2015, 11:26 AM

50??? I would be outdoors in shorts and t-shirt if it were 50 here. We just came out of the teens, with ice layers, now up into the 30, a warm week, then back down again later.

So...my morning at the gym. First of all it's inner-city, next town over. I get there and the parking lot is full, I have to wait for a spot. I go in, walking as if on eggshells, ice is everywhere. I am bundled up so you can't see my face but the first thing the girl at the desk says is "Welcome, dear, to the Y!" When I unwrap she proceeds to call me hon mixed in with a few dears. OK, ignore that, onto the agenda. She gives me the lowdown on the current membership deal and as I'm about to bolt (there are 16 kids running around me) she says "Let's take a tour!" I'm about to beg off when she grabs the sleeve of my coat as if to help me off with it. Good grief. But she is really nice, and of course about 29.

She takes me on the tour and every room of the place is packed, b/c it's a holiday. Plenty of young bods but also some my age or older who seemed to know their routines. One old guy looks pained as he does some machine or other. Room after room...machine after machine. I get dizzy in the elliptical room, probably b/c it's so hot in there. Everyone working out is down nearly to their birthday suits.

From high up we look down on the enormous pool; I imagine myself drowning b/c I don't swim. She guesses what I'm thinking and whisks me away to the "shallow" pool where they do water aerobics. A dozen parents with two dozen kids are in the pool for a class. I wince.

I glance down at the schedule. Holy crap, they only have gentle yoga (my speed) at 6:30 a.m. Do people sleep over the night before? Now we're in the locker room and she cheerily gives me the drill and an old lady in a swimsuit comes in and nearly gives me a hug. Welcome to the Y!

We spin through some other rooms. I need water, luckily we come upon a drinking fountain. It squirts out a half inch of water and I think great, now I get strep. I ask about wiping down the machines. She says it's the honor system, everyone does it after they use each piece. I mentally scan the aisles of Walmart wondering where they have tight cotton gloves.

We return to the front desk as another avalanche of parents and kids comes through the door. The guide hands me a free day guest pass and says come back for a day at the Y!

I struggle into my coat, bye dear! and I go out from 100 degree foyer to the arctic air. I get into the car after not being able to find it. I fill out the form and stick it under the visor. Membership begin date: I fill in Feb 1. I have 12 days to think about this before the deal expires. Or I do.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:50 PM

6,121 posts, read 9,073,863 times
Oh My !!! Thank you for your update. At least you went ! That in itself is an accomplishment. So you didn't enjoy it too much. That too is to be expected. But were there people your own age there? If so, just remember they went through the same misery at first too.

Are you going back? Or try another place? Around here we have at least 6 within a couple miles. The Y is one I would not go to because of all the little kids. I am an adult and want to be around adults. I congratulate you on an adventure well done.

And yes, I know, 50 degrees is not that cold but compared to now (its 70), it makes me think about if I would ever survive NewEngland, where all the interesting stuff is. Good for you, NEG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or