Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This is the last thing I want to do, but I realize finally at the age of 66 that living in the North I am not getting the outdoor exercise I want to believe I'm getting. I'm turning into a couch potato. I'm unnerved by this. I have never done a gym on a regular basis, and in the past when I've tried it, I've had an aversion to the equipment (doing the settings on each, worrying about germs from previous users, feeling bored with the routines, etc). I have to do something or I'm going to croak. I need some advice on this, and encouragement. I realize most of you have been doing the gym for years, and it's old hat to you. I am going kicking and screaming.
Is there any activity you enjoy? I love to cycle and really look forward to riding my bike ALL year long. I don't understand why people think I am crazy for riding in the winter. I just put on warm clothes. Is that some big deal? Anyway, do you like to walk? Maybe walking to a coffee shop or walking somewhere to a location you enjoy? Do you like to swim? I will never go to a gym again, but I am still working in an industry that I have to lift things, so I ride a bike and lift 5 days a week. Could you work a part time job that is a little physical so you get paid for a workout? If nothing I suggest sounds good, then it is off to the gym you go. Do you have some extra money? Hire a trainer 3 days a week, so you have an appointment. Maybe after you do that for two months you will keep it going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:39 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
If you would rather dance than go to a gym, does your senior center, local club or some other facility offer line dancing class? Or is there a square dancing club around. Both are good alternatives for getting some activity in the winter.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:19 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Up until the last 3-years, I've always stayed reasonably fit and healthy. Over many periods, I really worked at 'working out' and developed muscle and stamina. Any more, it is more about 'maintaining' or not losing any more, rather than 'building'.

My motivation to work-out ... went somewhere(?). Moreover, I can completely lose a 1-2 month workout 'habit' ... in 3-4 days of not working-out. Even when I do go to the gym (downstairs), it's often only casually going through the motions, rather than really 'working' at it. I know this is important for my health (and weight), but, just can't seem to get motivated.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Friends my age are mostly working or otherwise engaged, or they go to the gym like at 6:00 a.m.

That late?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
I got myself a moderately priced treadmill and set it up in a spare bedroom along with a TV. That way I can walk several miles, ice tea in hand, TV show to watch, and not have to leave home. Works for me!

Old 01-16-2015, 10:57 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Do you like to dance? If so, try a Zumba basic tape in your own home to work up to a workout. If you love to dance, it doesn't feel like exercise.
I use DVD's at home too. I tried several different options before finding Nia. It combines dance and martial arts and some yoga, and builds muscle while also being aerobic. I love it, and have stuck with twice a week for years now. I also swim laps, more often in summer. Gyms are over an hour away, as are winter pools, and I find that too hard to stick with. I also play with my dogs which includes running around just having fun.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:05 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Neither of us wanted to waste energy at a gym. DH was bored, waiting for me to retire. So he got himself a job with the county parks as a groundskeeper. This way he gets paid to exercise! I tried to volunteer to work with him, but the head ranger was a bit leery of letting spouses work together (the dynamic can get a bit wierd). Since that didn't work, I'm in line to volunteer to restack books at our local library. It's just as mindless as gym workouts, but at least there's some additional positive result after we've exercised.

Shoot - they don't even hook up that gym equipment to batteries to reclaim all that spent energy!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:52 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
keep in mind that doing the things we do daily like carrying groceries, walking some steps , the walk by the lake etc while qualifying as movement does not qualify as a proxy for a real exercise program.

once the body gets used to what you do it no longer responds much to the stimulation of it. yes you are using some calories as opposed to doing nothing and compared to doing nothing something is better than nothing but don't confuse a leisurely walk for running 2 or 3 miles or carrying groceries with resistance training..

it all depends what you hope to accomplish and how much you want to improve. but if you are not pushing yourself each time you can only do what you do and never anymore.

your heart will only grow enough to walk you around that lake and your muscles will only grow enough to lift that shopping bag.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I drove to the senior center gym today and had to pry myself out of the car into the bitter cold. Frozen, I went in dreading every step. Was greeted by the receptionist who directed me to the gym, which partners with the Y. It's a big room with a lot of machines. Most pieces were being used. I stood outside the glass wall watching. There was what looked like a trainer? working with someone. Everyone looked like 80 years old. Well, not all. A few looked maybe 70. Hey, that's me almost. They had on gym clothes. I headed to the coffee shop downstairs. I guess I'll make an appointment for next Tuesday.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:27 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Friday is one of the days I don't work . I was there today by 6:30 am running .

it is pretty crowded at those hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement