U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 02:23 PM

39,599 posts, read 47,873,195 times

Advertisements

Like climbing up a ladder to the roof of a 2 story house forgetting you have vertigo and having the fire dept com get you down.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 01:33 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,713,463 times
This happened to me just the other day. I was at Wendy's and ordered my meal from a very friendly, and very young girl.

As I was eating my meal, I idly glanced at my register reciept and noticed it had a senior discount on it. I hadn't requested one, she had just given it to me automatically. That made me think. How did she know I was old? My grey hair was all but covered under my hat. Surely I don't look that old. Or maybe I do. Not to me. When I look in the mirror I see an older person but not an old person. Still, when others look at me, do they see an old lady?

Oh well, whatever the answer it saved me $.65. But it did cost my ego a bit.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,014,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Still, when others look at me, do they see an old lady? (
Do you really want us to answer that? (:

Old 01-20-2015, 06:33 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,588,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This happened to me just the other day. I was at Wendy's and ordered my meal from a very friendly, and very young girl.

As I was eating my meal, I idly glanced at my register reciept and noticed it had a senior discount on it. I hadn't requested one, she had just given it to me automatically. That made me think. How did she know I was old? My grey hair was all but covered under my hat. Surely I don't look that old. Or maybe I do. Not to me. When I look in the mirror I see an older person but not an old person. Still, when others look at me, do they see an old lady?

Oh well, whatever the answer it saved me $.65. But it did cost my ego a bit.
This happens to me, too.
I consider myself young and beautiful. Always a shock when it just ain't so.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,710,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This morning, as I was going through my mail, there was an offer from one of my organizations.

"Lifetime membership, half off!".

I looked at the amount, it was within a decent price range, and I was thinking, well, maybe, get them off my back reminding me each year.

But then I got to thinking about the cost of yearly or tri-yearly to that life time. That by the time a yearly membership equals that lifetime deal.......................that's 20 years from now, I could very well be dead.

SIGH, it's an occupational hazard with having a very youthful outlook, both biologically and mentally, of life. Sometimes, you forget just how old you really are.

Now, there are "positive" points about it in support. We once thought we would only live to 50 and end up living to 90. Buy it now while you have an active income because when it becomes fixed, even the small membership fee will be a lot. Or like what Jennifer Ketcham's dad told her about don't sign for a 5 year expensive car lease when you don't know what you will be doing 5 years down the line. I depend on the organization for its political activism; I can have some peace of mind that I am not shoe stringing them.

BUT, on the other hand, it is like one of the last chapters in "Cheaper by the Dozen" where Dad said, "You've been telling me all this time not to start any new magazine subscriptions." (or something like that, I last read that book in class about 1971)
I agree with the bolded. I don't ever "forget" how old I am but I don't FEEL my age and, according to all who know me, I don't ACT it either. Although I have to say, nobody has ever been able to tell me just how one is SUPPOSED to look/act/feel at any certain age. I probably have more energy than a LOT of my co workers. Even the youngest ones.

My kids tell me I shouldn't buy green bananas anymore. lol I tell them they shouldn't either. I mean they are ALL in their 50s now so...

Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I guess I have that to look forward to in 2-3 years. I still pick them up but have to think about it.

People do buy homes with 30 year mortgages in their 60s all the time, but when they go it's going to be someone else will have to deal with the problem. Lifetime membership discounts are a gamble.
I'm 72 and getting ready to saddle myself with a 30 year mortgage. It's something I really want. It will be my home for the rest of my life no matter how long or short that is. When I'm gone my kids will have a winter getaway, if they want it. Or they can sell it and split any profits. I really won't care. In the meantime I'll get to enjoy having my OWN home again and I'm jazzed about that.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:49 AM

33,945 posts, read 42,250,099 times
I remember a show, the name of which I can't remember, in which one of the characters played by Ernest Borgnine said something on the order of, "Do you know what it feels like to be 80? It feels like you're 20." Which is true.

When I had my "cardiac episode" a couple years ago (I had been cutting up fallen trees after a storm) the ER doctor pointed out that I was now 58 and not 28.

I do notice that my endurance is less now, I no longer go out goose hunting all day, a morning or afternoon only hunt now. I also can't do 10 or 12 hours of physical labor any more.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I remember a show, the name of which I can't remember, in which one of the characters played by Ernest Borgnine said something on the order of, "Do you know what it feels like to be 80? It feels like you're 20." Which is true.

When I had my "cardiac episode" a couple years ago (I had been cutting up fallen trees after a storm) the ER doctor pointed out that I was now 58 and not 28.

I do notice that my endurance is less now, I no longer go out goose hunting all day, a morning or afternoon only hunt now. I also can't do 10 or 12 hours of physical labor any more.
When I was 15 my mom was only 30...she wasn't my birth mom...and I asked her one day what it "feels like to be 30!" I couldn't imagine. lol She thought a minute and then said, "The same as it did to be 15". I thought, "Yeah, right". When I hit 30 I understood!

I think my endurance and energy are less now but for me it's a good thing. I have always had a TON of energy and could go and go and go. I think it's a good thing because it's actually forcing me to slow down a bit. I used to be able to work all day long, pounding the floor, as a waitress and go home feeling pretty good. Now I spend 6 or 7 hours at a cash register and go home feeling whooped. It's a much easier job but it makes me tired. I think mentally tired is as bad as physically tired.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:57 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,349,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Like climbing up a ladder to the roof of a 2 story house forgetting you have vertigo and having the fire dept com get you down.
.........I read this post and laughed like hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It made me think of the "warning" I get about getting up on the roof from my daughter everytime she comes over to my house..(she stops by once a week to "check-on-me" and calls me every night at supper time.)....................I live alone (was married 51 yrs) way back in the Boonies.. (can't see another house & closest neighbor is 1/2 mile through the woods) daughter lives about 14 miles away on the other side of the valley. This spring I'll be startin' my 36th yr on this property and my 84th year on this earth!..

60 years ago this past August, I survived a double fatality auto accident as a passenger in the front seat of a convertible.............the driver was speeding, lost control and we hit a tree in the middle of the left side of the car...........killed the driver and the person seated on my left..........and by the Grace-of-God and the Last-Rights-of-the Catholic Church I survived 15 major fractures after spending almost 4 months in a full body cast; 8 weeks in an Oxygen-Tent; 5 months in the hospital and 161 Physical Therapy sessions.
The arthritis associated with all these fractures in various joints "Lets me know Every Morning" How Old I am, When it's Time To Rise & Shine".......Having out-lived the doctors "best-guesses" by several decades, I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS and considering the advancements in Medical and Trauma Procedures in the last 61 years, I know I'm damned 'lucky I made it back then!"
With the help of a couple of braces, a cane and a walker, I still drive the 14 miles into town once a week to have breakfast with a couple of "Old Guys" in their 70's at the coffee shop. Haven't gone up into the mountains for Elk Camp for several years, but I still get a White Tail every fall along with a few Grouse here on my place.
Yea, I don't forget How Old I Am, and sure don't forget HOW LUCKY I AM.......CARPE DIEM, We only "Make This Trip Once"

Old 01-21-2015, 09:26 AM

329 posts, read 477,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Like when I spend a day splitting and stacking firewood. I realize I'm 63, not 23. My back reminds me.
Well its a certain other activity (if you know what I mean) that remeinds me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or