U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 AM

11,086 posts, read 12,467,812 times

Advertisements

Check out Ouray Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:57 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,082,324 times
Ouray is indeed a beautiful town.

I believe the closest hospital is about 35 miles away in Montrose.

Dave

Old 01-23-2015, 03:59 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
OK for y'all men who take a wife with them who is some ten years younger!

I have considered the Ouray area (actually Ridgway) many times, and still do. Increased car dependence and healthcare are biggest concerns. Also, if I became unable to continue to live there, unloading a property there could be a real issue, and where to go to if I don't have a place to "return" to?
At present I am daydreaming of a year renting in my mountain paradise, and not closing up my Eastern life (with my dream house). Then trying to figure out how to spend a year some 2,000 miles from all my usual business, multiple pets, etc.

I honestly don't think my mountain heart home has enough for me for year-around living, never mind age-related issues. I continue to get back to extended vacations/summer there. Hey, if I could find a way to lease a horse there, that could push me over the edge. I still have a couple of years to go before the pension...

Old 01-23-2015, 06:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,552 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
OK for y'all men who take a wife with them who is some ten years younger!

I have considered the Ouray area (actually Ridgway) many times, and still do. ... I continue to get back to extended vacations/summer there. Hey, if I could find a way to lease a horse there, that could push me over the edge. I still have a couple of years to go before the pension...
You can find an 'off-season' place that boards horses and has cabins, You usually can work out a 'share plan' for the horse. Often people who board, cannot get there everyday, and you could help them out in exchange for some saddle time. Find that place next to a National Forest so you have plenty of places to ride. Not impossible, just need to look hard and contact a lot of people. We did this in Maine for fall colors and had a very nice LONG vacation, with horses available everyday. (They had 20+). $10/ night for family (including breakfast)

Old 01-23-2015, 07:06 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,313,067 times
We live in Asheville, up on a mountain with great views. We are enjoying the mild winter here. Lots of public land outside, and surrounding counties.

Prefer the green of the east.

Last edited by funisart; 01-23-2015 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM

2,038 posts, read 1,947,008 times
How about Big Bear Lake CA?

Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM

8,393 posts, read 9,139,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
You may want to consider Mariposa Ca. It's a gateway community to Yosemite National park and is surrounded by BLM and US Forest Service land. Real Estate is quite reasonable for California and a very nice home on acreage can be had for under $250,000.
The weather is excellent but it does get warm in the summer but the humidity is very low. You'd be 3 hours from Monterey and the Pacific Ocean for a change of scenery.
We're in Tuolumne Co. (just to the north).

Median home price is about $180K. I can walk to the National Forest and the Regional Hospital (rated in the top 25%) is a 20 minute drive. We have a lot of retirees in the Gold Country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtMtnMan View Post
Greetings, CDers...!

I've always enjoyed MTNS and lived in a couple of really nice mtn towns. That said, down the road in retirement, I'm looking to move to a Mtn town and I was wondering if any of you had recommendations on towns to move to? I've lived in Helena, MT and Juneau, AK. Natural beauty and
public land are very important to me. It would be nice to find a place that is somewhat affordable, too. I'm planning on retiring in about 11 years. THX for your input!

Happy Trails,

MMM
We moved here 13 years ago and plan to retire in two years. If you can make it work, move now. Then when you retire you will already be part of the community. Yes there are jobs. My wife is an attorney and I am a Social Worker. Sure we are not making the Big Bucks, but the COL is way lower than in the Bay Area or LA. And the weather is way better than AK or MT. We get snow and have four seasons, but it rarely gets below +10*.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:00 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,082,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
How about Big Bear Lake CA?
It's a nice area if you can deal with living in CA. We could not, but that's just our opinion.

Some specific concerns about Big Bear for me would be:

1. Drought and fire
2. The valley is overrun with tourists in the summer, especially on weekends

One advantage is that you are only a couple hours from the LA basin with all the good and bad that brings.

Dave

Old 01-24-2015, 12:02 AM

10,813 posts, read 8,059,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I also recommend anyone considering CO take a look at their water laws before locating there.
Most people would be stunned if they knew the draconian but necessary laws many Colorado counties have passed to deal with the drought/wildfire crisis. Acreage, horses, livestock, trees? Forgetaboutit. You're exactly right, folks need to very thoroughly research ordinances before moving there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have considered the Ouray area (actually Ridgway) many times, and still do. Increased car dependence and healthcare are biggest concerns.
Ouray has its charms but another big drawback for us is the total no-no on having any sort of vegetable garden (even a tiny plot) or bird feeder due to the bears. I can live with a few annual brutal winter storms but life's just not worth living it if I can't grow a few tomatoes and hang out a hummingbird feeder. I doubt the same applies to Ridgeway but then Ridgeway doesn't have Ouray's charm.
Great area to vacation, though.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:47 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
I prefer Ridgway to Ouray because of the open views. I actually have had my eye on a now-available condo for some time but it's really a daydream when I look at how I actually live, rather, how I expect to live in retirement. There is so much available in my area of eastern Mass that I am really thinking now, a few years in advance, of what I might get involved in. Ridgway has views (and how!) and I'd love the weather but I fear my mind lives in New England. Also, I took my whole life to try and create a sense of home for myself and seem to have done as well as I can in my current situation. Just don't have the heart (at present) to start over. I have felt divided between SW Colorado and New England since I first went to Colorado in 1984.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement