U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:34 AM

10,129 posts, read 12,378,690 times

Advertisements

I figure it costs me $1,000/month to work and while this might sound high my commute is 780 miles so I have the monthly commute cost plus a cheap apartment which ain't bad since I am there by myself just to sleep and take a shower. Reminds me how I lived when I was 22.

I stay at home for a period spanning three weekends and leave for work on a Monday, span the following weekend and come home on Friday where I stay home spanning three weekends again.

Airline ticket is $300, rent is $450 with utilities and I figure it costs me $250 to eat so there you go. Lucky for me this is a very low cost of living area where you can still rent a decent studio apartment in a nice neighborhood for $400.

I will collect my increased SS benefits at 70 which is net year so will I ever quit? Not for a few years anyway, no desire to quit just yet but even if I am working I am still retired because I am doing what I want to do and don't need the work money.

My wife is convinced I will retire at 80. She just doesn't ever see me stopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 12:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Our expenses may be less than when he was commuting 200 miles a day, but then again our income is 75% less too.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:43 PM

1,203 posts, read 705,628 times
It's an over simplification but,
Todays income is about the same as the last year we both worked, as reduced by the retirement contributions.

Not counting 401k withdrawals.
DW won't file for age 70 social security for a few years yet.

No more combined round trip 87 miles commute. Cars much less exposed to winter road salt. Less dining out.
DW spends less on clothes.

Travel cost is increasing

Last edited by johnd393; 11-10-2017 at 02:55 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 PM

14,220 posts, read 44,887,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Pre tax, post tax...I just care about net money in my pocket that I have to allocate for living.
Pay attention to pre-tax and post-tax and you will have more money in your pocket.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:50 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,827,803 times
Our budget reductions fell in line with what some folks above have said re: No more SS taxes, no more FICO, income taxes on pension are less than taxes on salary, and no more saving for retirement. We also chose to move to a lower COL area, but maintain the same lifestyle. We live quite comfortably on about 60%-70% of our pre-retirement income. We still haven't tapped my investments, we still don't receive SS. So we are set to handle inflation. The work expenses that we no longer pay include about $30 in lunches per week for me (now I eat leftovers from last night), no carpool fees or gas for 35 mile one way commute for each of us, no more dresses, skirts, slacks, jackets etc for me (a few hundred a year, so not much really), and that's about it for savings. We are still able to pay for all our travel with savings from our current income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or