Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 AM

241 posts, read 272,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Why is it centered on Florida?
The villages is centered in FL because it is the size of a small state. At least now it is. I am not sure why Morse started the original trailer/pre-fab home complex there................ I think his father was a land speculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:38 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
The villages is centered in FL because it is the size of a small state. At least now it is. I am not sure why Morse started the original trailer/pre-fab home complex there................ I think his father was a land speculator.
If you haven't read Leisureville". While it definitely has its biases about The Villages, it does give a decent historical background on 55+ communities and especially on Morris's development of The Villages.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:49 PM

9 posts, read 14,210 times
For us: We currently live in the DC area and want to be in the middle of no where, but close enough to enjoy things. We are having a house built in Legacy of Leesburg in Lake county. Which is a little northwest of Orlando. We can get to Orlando in about 45 mins and WDW in about 40. We are young retirees 57 and 50. We thought about Ocala, but it was a bit far for us. We want to be close, but not to close to Disney and felt we could get that in lake county. I wish you lots of fun researching and visiting communities.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Maybe it's me but this entire thread is Florida places.... there is a thread on that already - I checked into this thread to read things about 55+ - social life, environments, etc. - NOT just Florida.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
I lived in so. FL for about 10 months & left, I found the heat & humidity really oppressive & realized that I liked a city that had some cultural opportunities besides dinner theaters & going to malls. Some people really take to it though, I would rent for a while to get a read on the place if you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement