U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 06:10 AM

29 posts, read 34,421 times

Advertisements

My DW and I are starting our journey researching our retirement location/home. Florida seems at the top of the list, so far. 55+ communities have gotten our interest. I don't know a lot about them and would rather hear from someone with experience (positive or negative) than just look at websites.

We will be in Orlando soon, leaving for a cruise. We have one extra day after the cruise and would like to get a quick look at the area.

East or west coast....haven't decided. If we buy a home, I would like to be on the south side of 200k.

I don't expect Boca or Naples, but I'm also not interested in living in a trailer.

Any help will be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:12 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,689,130 times
Smile Not Boca?

LOL.

I live here! But I know what you mean.

Check out St. Augustine, Ocala, Tampa area.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,633,656 times
Although it's not for me, a lot of people enjoy living in The Villages. It's about 1.25 hours north of Orlando.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:48 PM

241 posts, read 226,686 times
OP, do you want to be on a coast or will you do inland?

We are 40 minutes north of Orlando and like it in a gated. Many homes south of 200k.

We are south of the villages. We did not care for that but you should look at it. some love it.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:28 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,374,430 times
Default Us too.

My wife and I are beginning to do the same thing.

I am hanging it up in less than 4 years. We currently live NE of Atlanta and though we enjoy it the massive congestion and growth is getting old.
Granted, health care would a top requirement but we too have looked at Florida and Hilton Head South Carolina, however the SC tax issue rather stinks.

If Florida I am leaning toward Del Webb. They have a great location in Braselton, GA called Deaton Creek and would like to find a location similar to that in Florida on the Gulf Coast side of the state.
Deaton is nice and the surrounding neighborhoods outside the development are also nice.
I hear of Sun City Tampa, but do not know the surrounding areas.
Orlando is also nice but the only drawback is the tourist cost. When I travel to Orlando on business the restaurants almost seem to have New York City pricing.

Do know one thing, has to be a warm climate. My other half has made that mandatory

Old 01-20-2015, 08:22 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,596,167 times
We are part of this same group! Currently doing my "taste of Florida" starting in Pampano Beach and exploring this corner of the state. We are then headed to Belleair to explore the Gulf and St. Pete/Tampa area and finishing up near Daytona Beach. That area we know due to inlaws who use to snowbird there.

We aren't looking at a permanent move but a possible snowbird location. A lot to consider. For the OP use your one day to check out one area but come back for more. We still haven't decided on Gulf vs Atlantic side, mainly because we've only had one weekend on the Gulf side and want to see more of it. Also, inland vs. coast. How important is the beach to you? We are still trying to decide that. Love being easily accessible to the beach but in reality, will we really use it that much for the higher cost?

A couple of years ago we did a quick tour of The Villages. The jury is still out on it but I'm leaning away from that for several reasons, one is it is inland and in the middle of no where. I'm also leery as everyone just seem so.....happy..... There's a part of me thinking, do I want to "drink the kool aide"? I do want a place with activities but I also want to know I can find some of them in a regular community as well.

Life is definitely a journey, and this is another stage of that.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 PM

6,438 posts, read 3,066,921 times
On the east coast I would check out St Augustine, Ormond/Ormond Beach and Palm Coast.

Inland there's Mt. Dora. Deland is a small college town about 45 minutes north of Orlando. Victoria Park there has an over 55 section but may be hard to find under 200,000. There are however many single family homes in nice neighborhoods under 200K.

The Villages is something I think is either love it or hate it and you probably should spend a few days at least there before you decide.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,827,803 times
Be sure to check out Florida in the height of summer if you are considering moving there year round. The summer heat and humidity, bugs, smell of mold, etc turned me off completely. Also way too flat.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,633,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Be sure to check out Florida in the height of summer if you are considering moving there year round. The summer heat and humidity, bugs, smell of mold, etc turned me off completely. Also way too flat.
I agree we have heat and humidity and bugs, but smell of mold? Your house shouldn't smell of mold.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:16 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
Sad commentary. Later this decade I will qualify to live in the 55+ world. And I still have some of my "new grad" cheap, cheap assemble-it-yourself furniture. In reality my 55+ world will probably be quite a bit different than the historic norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or