Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

you need a lot less than the old 4% rule ( which was never meant to be a rule ) dictates you do. the 4% safe withdrawal rate is based on inflation adjusting every year.

study after study concluded that retirees tend to spend in a smile shape .

they spend more early on in retirement going and doing things . then spending falls off a cliff. by 80 spending ramps up again because of healthcare ,gifting and chartable giving.

the end result is what you buy less of more than offsets the increases in what you stlll do buy making a lot less inflation adjusting needed.

this of course assumes not everything in your spending is a need. if there is nothing to cut back then you will need a lot more inflation adjusting.

home ownership and fixed rate mortgages cut the amount of inflation adjusting as well.

without figuring inflation adjusting every year 20-30% less capital may be needed in savings than calculators like firecalc or fidelitys RIP dictate..

TY BERNICKE as well as SUN LIFE did quite a few extensive studies in this area. well respected researcher and a favorite of mine , MICHAEL KITCES also looked in to this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not if they buy low fee index funds like many have learned to love and prosper from. Also there are many lower fee active funds from Vanguard, Fido etc. Just ask the many in this forum who have prospered from!
right again! this forum as well as many others are filled with folks who would agree with you tuborg.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you need a lot less than the old 4% rule ( which was never meant to be a rule ) dictates you do. the 4% safe withdrawal rate is based on inflation adjusting every year.

study after study concluded that retirees tend to spend in a smile shape .

they spend more early on in retirement going and doing things . then spending falls off a cliff. by 80 spending ramps up again because of healthcare ,gifting and chartable giving.

the end result is what you buy less of more than offsets the increases in what you stlll do buy making a lot less inflation adjusting needed.

this of course assumes not everything in your spending is a need. if there is nothing to cut back then you will need a lot more inflation adjusting.

home ownership and fixed rate mortgages cut the amount of inflation adjusting as well.

without figuring inflation adjusting every year 20-30% less capital may be needed in savings than calculators like firecalc or fidelitys RIP dictate..

TY BERNICKE as well as SUN LIFE did quite a few extensive studies in this area. well respected researcher and a favorite of mine , MICHAEL KITCES also looked in to this as well.
Just a darn minute here. I'm in my second (third? I forget) year of retirement, and I'm living it up with leaner times ( a cliff, no less) to come? Say it ain't so!

Readers of your post need to keep firmly in mind that one person's highlife is another's being able to afford the necessities and an occasional night out. You gave me a chill. Seems the bottom of my smile might mean Puss N Boots. Sure hope not.

Give me some good news, mathjak!

Old 01-22-2015, 11:42 AM

Ha ha ha .. The good news is you likely need less than you thought.

But the reality is yes, most of us will not be doing nearly as much spending and traveling from 70-80 like we were from 62-70. not because we can't but because we just likely won't.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:45 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Ha ha ha .. The good news is you likely need less than you thought.

But the reality is yes, most of us will not be doing nearly as much spending and traveling from 70-80 like we were from 62-70. not because we can't but because we just likely won't.
I swear I'm gonna prove you wrong. I turn 70 a year from next week and Provence beckons.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not if they buy low fee index funds like many have learned to love and prosper from. Also there are many lower fee active funds from Vanguard, Fido etc. Just ask the many in this forum who have prospered from!

I love my index funds.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:08 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think being a single retiree often releases a person from needing to a do things that many couples seem to expect in retirement. So a single retiree often or sometimes expects less in retirement.

Being a couple can come with expectations to entertain each other and as a couple.
If being a single retiree releases us from needing to do things ... why would we expect less?
I do whatever I want - so I figure I have more

Old 01-22-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I swear I'm gonna prove you wrong. I turn 70 a year from next week and Provence beckons.
can't prove me wrong , not my theory. , this conclusion was reached by studying retirees in formal studies.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:51 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Which is why I retired at 54 and why, two weeks shy of my 59th birthday, I am composing this reply while lounging poolside at a resort on Denarau Island in Fiji.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:52 PM

isn't that where the bottled water comes from ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement