Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

while we think we will never slow down the reality is eventually most of us do. that is why we are pulling the plug on working this year too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 05:07 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
isn't that where the bottled water comes from ?
Yes; and that is exactly what I am drinking right now. Of course, later this afternoon that will become a tropical drink made with Bounty Rum.

Fiji Rum Co - Heavenly Rum, from Paradise on Earth

Old 01-22-2015, 05:23 PM

922 posts, read 1,110,715 times
Thank you, everyone, for the replies! It gives me a lot of insight as to what we should and should not be doing when it comes to our retirement. If we continued to save at the same exact rates that we are doing now then we will be close to the 2 million mark; with inflation and whatever I'm going to contribute when I go back into the workforce I think that we'll be fine. We have always contributed the max amount allowed and live frugally and within our means. Saving money has become paramount to us and it feels good to know that we are debt free. When we buy a house, though....gonna owe our souls there....LOL.

We are concerned about my FIL and MIL not having enough to retire with (actually, my MIL isn't going to retire from anything, she hasn't worked in over 6 years) and then their care will end up being our responsibility, which we DON'T want to happen. Neither of them live lavishly but they are both used to certain comforts and, living in California, the COL here is already very high. Soooo.....my DH is going to be sitting them both down in the near future and talking seriously about their plans because whatever they do affects us to some degree. Luckily, my parents are taken care of- I thank my dad almost every day for setting himself and my mother up for the rest of their lives! I can't imagine having to shoulder the costs of 2 sets of elderly parents in the years to come, let alone one. Hence, the conversations my DH will be having with his parents.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the replies! It gives me a lot of insight as to what we should and should not be doing when it comes to our retirement. If we continued to save at the same exact rates that we are doing now then we will be close to the 2 million mark; with inflation and whatever I'm going to contribute when I go back into the workforce I think that we'll be fine. We have always contributed the max amount allowed and live frugally and within our means. Saving money has become paramount to us and it feels good to know that we are debt free. When we buy a house, though....gonna owe our souls there....LOL.

We are concerned about my FIL and MIL not having enough to retire with (actually, my MIL isn't going to retire from anything, she hasn't worked in over 6 years) and then their care will end up being our responsibility, which we DON'T want to happen. Neither of them live lavishly but they are both used to certain comforts and, living in California, the COL here is already very high. Soooo.....my DH is going to be sitting them both down in the near future and talking seriously about their plans because whatever they do affects us to some degree. Luckily, my parents are taken care of- I thank my dad almost every day for setting himself and my mother up for the rest of their lives! I can't imagine having to shoulder the costs of 2 sets of elderly parents in the years to come, let alone one. Hence, the conversations my DH will be having with his parents.
Why do you think you're responsible for your inlaws and why do you think they expect you to care for them? They live their way and you and your husband live your way, are they really going to change their lifestyle because it neither of you approve? Kind of reeks of selfishness.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:47 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Why do you think you're responsible for your inlaws and why do you think they expect you to care for them? They live their way and you and your husband live your way, are they really going to change their lifestyle because it neither of you approve? Kind of reeks of selfishness.
Or a family that sees a shared responsibility for each other from cradle to grave. It is all a collective personal family relationship and that varies from person to person and family to family. I would hope each of us in life is able to embrace and be embraced by a family with mutual values to our own what ever they are.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:10 AM

896 posts, read 1,139,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Or a family that sees a shared responsibility for each other from cradle to grave. It is all a collective personal family relationship and that varies from person to person and family to family. I would hope each of us in life is able to embrace and be embraced by a family with mutual values to our own what ever they are.
You may want to reread HER post. Her tone and the "DON'T" in caps gives me the impression this is not something she would embrace, lol.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
You may want to reread HER post. Her tone and the "DON'T" in caps gives me the impression this is not something she would embrace, lol.
I was responding to snow tired and included her Quote . Simply we are all individuals with different values and we all hopefully belong to a family that shares ours independent of others thinking.

Last edited by TuborgP; 01-23-2015 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 09:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
five million now go and save it.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
five million now go and save it.
The first step is education and allowing yourself and children to acquire the academic skills so you/they have the widest range of well paying careers to choose from.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 AM

41 posts, read 111,662 times
It's really more about income rather than savings. Determine what portion of annual expenses (all expenses) are not covered by guaranteed sources of income such as Social Security and/or pension. The amount that's not covered is called your residual expenses. Many experts agree one should have 20-25 X residual expenses accumulated and held in extremely safe assets.

For example, if your annual expenses are $40,000, but only receive $20,000/year in SS, your residual expenses (expenses not covered by a guaranteed source of income) are $20,000. Thus 25 X $20,000 residual expenses = $500,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement