U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 06:11 PM

720 posts, read 1,485,508 times

Advertisements

Quick question. My sister, 62, works full time. Her husband, 65, has been collecting social security for a couple of years.
He passed away recently.
Will my sister now receive his check until she retires and collects her own, higher check?
My husband said the checks will stop now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:21 PM

71,592 posts, read 71,751,865 times
your sister can stay with her own or take survivor benefits . the survivor benefits will be reduced from what her husband got for every year she takes it prior to her fra.

if hers is higher it makes no sense to switch later,

if the question is does she get two checks no she does not.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:02 PM

21,539 posts, read 44,018,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Quick question. My sister, 62, works full time. Her husband, 65, has been collecting social security for a couple of years.
He passed away recently.
Will my sister now receive his check until she retires and collects her own, higher check?
My husband said the checks will stop now.
You husband is right, because your sister is still working. A survivor's benefit until she reaches FRA will be subject to an earnings test. Fairly good explanation, here:

Deciding when to take Social Security widows benefits can't get more complicated | Making Sen$e | PBS NewsHour

In short, b/c she is working, chances are any survivor's benefit will be offset by her earnings. It appears, from the foregoing, however, at FRA she could choose the lower survivor benefit until age 70-1/2, and then switch to her higher benefit. Her benefit would grow another 32% with that strategy. Good idea to wait to 70-1/2 to collect on her own if her health is good. That 32% growth is hugely advantageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or