U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 11:02 AM

177 posts, read 194,067 times

Advertisements

Not strictly a retirement question but I am hoping to retire in a few months so I have been hanging around here for a couple of years and I know how smart you people are and this is likely something many here have had to deal with. I am in need of some very basic legal advice from a Florida lawyer related to an estate. Small estate. I live on West Coast. Death occurred about a week ago and I am listed with sibling as co executor/representative. Decedent (Dad!) had own lawyer but I want separate advice before moving forward. I am interested in disclaiming my portion and want to know how that will affect the remaining heirs. Small estate, house, vehicle and cash (all in Florida) all together totaling about 150k, two other heirs, son and grandson of Dad. How would I go about finding a lawyer to help me with this over the phone and email? I am hoping to find someone that I can email a draft copy of the will and then speak with over the phone for what I imagine can't be more than a half hour of questions. I want to explore this on my own before I speak with family about it. We are all pretty clueless never having been through this so we need to get the ball rolling. And if you have any thoughts about fair pricing for this please include that too. Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:08 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
There are several lawyers who post in the Retirement Forum but the only Florida one of whom I'm aware is Robyn55. Whether she cares to give free legal advice I don't know, but you can send her a direct message - the worst she could say is "Sorry, I don't give free legal advice". (Well, that's not the worst she could say, but that's the worst I can imagine Robyn55 saying).

Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 AM

177 posts, read 194,067 times
I am not looking for anything free. Mainly want to find someone to talk to over the phone as opposed to having to wait until I am in Florida. I don't know how common that sort of thing is. Basically I am hoping to be pointed at something online where I can pay by credit card. The questions are very general.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:15 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,048,724 times
Go here then choose trusts, estates and probate.

The Florida Bar's Online Lawyer Referral Service

Cost will probably range depending on the city.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:00 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,636,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Go here then choose trusts, estates and probate.

The Florida Bar's Online Lawyer Referral Service

Cost will probably range depending on the city.
^^This, or: What county in FL did you dad live in? Often there are county bar associations that have a referral service as well as the FL Bar. I've used the Orange County Bar Association's referral service a couple of times.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:28 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,700,708 times
I would try Gerald R Colen Florida Elder law, Asset Protection, Estate Planning Attorney I think you would call him a gentleman and he is skilled in the area of law you are asking about. By the way I would try the phone as he will not open attachments in email unless he is expecting to receive them.

In general I think you can disclaim the inheritance by giving a written letter to the administrator/ executor. The assets you disclaimed would them be part of the estate and distributed in accordance with the will. I have no practical experience in this area.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:05 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
The attorney handling probate would be like here; could easily handle that as part of probate.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM

4,039 posts, read 2,616,414 times
As you know you will need to talk to someone licensed to practice in FL. The attorney who is handling the estate can more than likely take care of this for your without you retaining your own counsel. I'm guessing they will ask you to sign a release disclaiming your portion of the estate which would then be distributed to the general beneficiaries on a pro rata basis. Again, that's just my best guess not legal advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or