U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 PM

13,643 posts, read 8,559,902 times

Advertisements

Super efficient and courteous in my area.

The security guard hustles out to help those who need help getting in, and helps everyone through the electronic check-in.

Here's a story:
My mother was flat broke. Always had been incompetent. She was 90.

I went digging through some papers and discovered she had been married to my dad for more than 10 years. (I never knew that, and never knew Pop)

That means she gets a portion of his Social Security.

So I go down to the Social Security office. Explain things. The young lady looks at the documents and says she can arrange it.

Then she asked and answered a question all-at-once. Check this out:
"Did-your-Dad-ever-remarry-probably-not-because-that-would-reduce-the-amount-your-Mom-will-get?" And then she just smiles at me.....

"Uhh..No, he never did"....

Bless Her Heart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 04:47 AM

10,320 posts, read 9,369,968 times
What I would like to see improved are better methods of screening and weeding out those who fraudulently abuse the system by applying for, and receiving SS disability (many applicants do this because they are unable to find work).

Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,221,988 times
Quote:
"Did-your-Dad-ever-remarry-probably-not-because-that-would-reduce-the-amount-your-Mom-will-get?" And then she just smiles at me.....
Yeah, and if they ever were to cross-refence it and find out he did I think you're mom would owe those overpayments back to Soc Sec. It's moot I guess since she didn't have any money, and wouldn't have had the money to pay it back, and neither would her estate. But if she owned a home I wonder if a government lien could have been put against it.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:56 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Super efficient and courteous in my area.

The security guard hustles out to help those who need help getting in, and helps everyone through the electronic check-in.

Here's a story:
My mother was flat broke. Always had been incompetent. She was 90.

I went digging through some papers and discovered she had been married to my dad for more than 10 years. (I never knew that, and never knew Pop)

That means she gets a portion of his Social Security.

So I go down to the Social Security office. Explain things. The young lady looks at the documents and says she can arrange it.

"Uhh..No, he never did"....

Bless Her Heart!
This is a great example of why Social Security is inefficient. It doesn't matter if your father remarried, she should have received the proper amount when she reached retirement age AND a larger amount if/when he died. By my calculations, Social Security was at least 25 years late in awarding her the correct amount of benefits.

If the process can be automated, for instance, retirement checks that are automatically deposited on a particular Wednesday each month, all is hunky dory. If the process requires more than that, Good Luck.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:13 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
What I would like to see improved are better methods of screening and weeding out those who fraudulently abuse the system by applying for, and receiving SS disability (many applicants do this because they are unable to find work).
Not really. It is true that there are more applications for benefits during a recession, but there are also more denials.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:57 AM

10,320 posts, read 9,369,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Not really. It is true that there are more applications for benefits during a recession, but there are also more denials.
We can only hope.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:12 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,033,474 times
It is quite difficult to get Social Security disability, usually requiring several appeals and one or more appearances in court before a judge. Soc. Sec. requires applicants to see doctors other than their treating physicians for assessments. I am not sure what percentage of applicants actually get it in the end, but it's certainly not 100%. The process can take years and sometimes people give up even when they are seriously disabled and really need it. Outsiders may not be able to tell that someone has a serious disability merely by looking at them.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:57 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
It is quite difficult to get Social Security disability, usually requiring several appeals and one or more appearances in court before a judge. Soc. Sec. requires applicants to see doctors other than their treating physicians for assessments. I am not sure what percentage of applicants actually get it in the end, but it's certainly not 100%. The process can take years and sometimes people give up even when they are seriously disabled and really need it. Outsiders may not be able to tell that someone has a serious disability merely by looking at them.
The nature of disabilities and how they impact and restrict our life opportunities is a tremendous challenge for SS and others.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:23 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,529,269 times
Received my first SS retirement check today. so I give it a plus.

worked well for me. but I was pretty run of the mill ordinary.

However at the SS office they did move the people through pretty quickly and seemed to be willing to work problems.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:40 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,573,689 times
Had 0 problems signing up. The website worked very well and the person I did talk to was very competent and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement