U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 08:01 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,413,637 times

Advertisements

This makes sense. Thanks.

Is there a calculator or formula out there that can be used to project this more accurately?

I'll be retired at 54 (next year) and would like to have some idea what my SS will be like.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 08:52 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,584,621 times
You can go online and fill in your exact earnings and get the figures that way.
A lot of work, though.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:34 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,177,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am passed my full retirement age of 66 and have not filed for benefits. It is my intention to wait to age 70. I will be 67 1/2 when my wife turns 66, which is about a year from now, at which time I will file and suspend so she can receive 50% of my full retirement age benefit or what I would have received at age 66.

By suspending my benefit will continue to increase and when I do collect our combined benefit will exceed $4,300/month which is all tax free as long as our other income is low.

Oh yes it is tax free How much of my social security benefit may be taxed?

$4,300/month tax free is equivalent to $1,000/week take home pay or a full time job that pays $75,000 per year. As I told my wife if a couple can't live comfortably on $1,000/week, when they own their house, aren't supporting children and have no debts, then it is my opinion they have a spending problem and not an income problem. That or maybe they should look at moving out of San Francisco or Manhattan.
You are cutting yourself off from one potential benefit. If you file and suspend as soon as you are FRA your credits will still increase till you do start collecting, BUT, you also would then have the option if an emergency or whatever arose, to tell SS that you want to collect the entire back sum from the time you did file and suspend. True it would not include the credits but you could collect the entire back sum in needed.

So you might consider filing and supending now there is no downside to doing so.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:18 AM

5,247 posts, read 8,427,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
This makes sense. Thanks.

Is there a calculator or formula out there that can be used to project this more accurately?

I'll be retired at 54 (next year) and would like to have some idea what my SS will be like.

SSA has an online calculator at Retirement Estimator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or