U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 05:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,610 posts, read 39,986,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmenesq View Post
I have been reading this thread with fascination. .....The area that is perfect at one stage of retired life is not necessarily the area that is best at all stages.
Yes, and we cannot always 'plan' those stages.

Some I have cared for (rural elderly) have been very weak in their 70's, others made it well into their 90's before not being able to live alone safely in remote 'rural' location.

I advise having an acknowledged Plan B (and Plan C). I want to have a 'stable' place identified by age 80. In the decades preceding, I will continue to live on the edge. (with a plan B and C 'alternative'). I focus on keep a handicap accessible place with nice view and caregiver qtrs. (still am car dependent, cuz I prefer rural).

It is interesting that during the decade of age 80, there can be some irrational decisions. (buying a place that requires a LOT of maint (My FIL went from 7 acres of hard work to 14 acres of harder work), buying a Motorhome (very common), adventure travel (@ 83. my step dad insisted to go to Africa SOLO and travel across the continent via public transportation (just to prove he could do it)). I suppose it is an antidote for losing abilities / control. @ age 84 my mom just bought a new set of tires for her motorhome, but now she won't take a trip cuz her new cat doesn't like to travel. She is old enough to make those decisions! She gets the freedom to do so.

As you go out shopping for age 55+ homes, it is not uncommon to find significant age segregation in different housing options / areas. I do prefer senior co-ops for the social / business engagement, but the demographic is pretty aged. Same with many Del Webb communities. You can feel a REALLY young minority in their 70's! not many residents in their 50's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 06:20 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,289,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
(@ 83. my step dad insisted to go to Africa SOLO and travel across the continent via public transportation (just to prove he could do it)).
That is pretty freaking awesome! I would never dream if trying that, nor do I know anyone who would. He must have some crazy stories!

Last edited by Tetto; 02-03-2015 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Sp

Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,610 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
That is pretty freaking awesome! I would never dream if trying that, nor do I know anyone who would. He must have some crazy stories!
he had a great time, and we were all glad he could take this adventure. (tho still think it is a bit crazy. but that is OK!, worked for him!. He had medical problems looming that took him home within a couple yrs of the adventure. We / animals in general often get this 'last breath / second wind', I don't want to waste mine watching TV!

OT... this couple had a superb retirement with 6 major moves to places they enjoyed exploring and meeting new friends + several RTW trips via relocation cruises.

They flipped 5 significant home sales ($300k - $800k range) (bought excellent view homes that each needed major remodel, added their touch and re-sold).

Their biggest threat was their financial counselors that really messed up the portfolio many times. Finally they found a good one! (after age 80).

Old 02-03-2015, 07:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
4 seasons doesn't have to be 4 seasons of extreme weather. Go where you have a mild winter and it will be a nice break. This is one reason I picked NC - you get the sweater weather and if you go to the mtns you can catch more winter.
Where in NC to you get sweater weather in winter??

Old 02-03-2015, 08:52 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,967,997 times
I am finding these posts very interesting. Wife and I are retired. I am wanting to move but wife wants to stay put even though there is no more family alive here. BTW, I am the 3rd generation living here and that was a main reason for moving back here after undergrad and grad school. I think she wants to be around friends and feels that we would not have friends anywhere else, I disagree. We do have family in the Sacramento area but, after doing undergrad in L.A. , Both of us have no desire to move back to CAL ( high taxes, high regulation, too many people, don't care for the politics either). If wife's health was better, Central TX would be good. Also, I do like Knoxville and Asheville ( expensive now). Those places would be more humid. I would like Prescott or Northern AZ as it would have 4 seasons but yet not as hot a PHX. BTW, I am impressed with the health care in PHX which would be a plus. I do not want to live anywhere with a lot of snow so the Philly area where daughter lives is out. A little bit of snow goes a long way in my book. LOL For now, stuck here.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:22 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,950,095 times
Rogarven, where is "here"? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious. Most of us will have those Goldilocks questions - "Too hot, too cold" before finding "just right!" Thanks, Jane

Old 02-03-2015, 11:41 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,896,256 times
For some of us, who have a bucket list, at some point you must scratch off that place you always wanted to live. For me it has come down to Marquette, Mi. In upper Mi. Started going there 40 years ago for summer vacations and said one day I will live there, well for the last 7 it's been home, I built a modern glass house on a big rock overlooking Lake Superior. It's the last move on my list love it there, except the cold winter last 2 years, so, here I am Snowbirding in Tucson, which was not on my list ever. Over the years I have built 6 houses all over the country, some were on the bucket list, some were surprises. , so , I think Marquette will remain top . Also , the city just got honored as one of the top 24 must see places in the world !. It is a great place, but now I must say the climate is changing, there was no summer last year, it's getting colder in the Northern tier.......that's my reason for wintering in the SWbut, I will be glad when April comes around...and I can go home.!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:54 AM

1,469 posts, read 860,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmenesq View Post
I have been reading this thread with fascination. I am still several years away from retirement, probably, but I have begun to think about these issues more. One thing that I keep thinking is that, for many people, there may be the need for different retirement areas at different stages of their lives. For example, if a person retires in good health, that person may very much enjoy an area where an active lifestyle can be pursued (with or without 4 seasons) and where driving is a necessity because other forms of transportation are not practical for them. If health declines and, for example, driving is no longer a viable option and recreational activities shift to more sedentary ones, then a different location might suit their needs better. The area that is perfect at one stage of retired life is not necessarily the area that is best at all stages.

We thought about this also....When we are no longer active outside I can think of nothing more relaxing than watching the snow fall....A hospital is less than 10 min away, groceries 5 min....The grocery store also delivers at no charge. Even though we are not in an over 55 community many of the residents here are active retirees....I have never lived in a development like this where neighbors really look out for each other. We just went on an impromptu trip for 6 days to snowmobile in the UP and we still can't figure out which one of the neighbors cleared our driveway when 6 inches fell while we were gone.
I still have been having a hard time getting my DH to agree to spend the money on a generator in case the power goes out....I don't want to be 80 years old and have no power in the middle of a snowstorm and below 0 temps.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:02 AM

1,469 posts, read 860,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
One thing never ceases to amaze me when people speak of ideal places in which to retire. Most people seem to assume that they will spend their retirement in the same state of physical and mental health that they have right at this moment. I take care of an elder in my home. I see all of her relatives and friends. Most of them put themselves somewhere they thought was idyllic when they retired in their sixties. Yet in ten or twenty years, they are now facing having to move YET AGAIN. Why

I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer, but please be realistic when you are choosing your retirement place. Or it will just be the first of several retirement places for you. And if you think it will be a pain in the butt to move when you are 65, imagine how hard it will be when you are 85. Or better yet, imagine who you are going to get to do the moving for you.

What was really interesting to us is that the house we bought in MI was owned by a very active 85 year old widowed woman...She moved down state to be near her kids and grandkids. We have only been here 6 months and heard from our neighbors that she is sorry she sold the house. She had a great social network here, she golfed, cross country skied and rode her bike daily in the summer. After moving near her kids she never sees them. Her grown kids still work and her grandkids don't want to hang with grandma.....

Old 02-04-2015, 05:18 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
Default ....."locked down and locked in...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
My Wife and I moved AWAY from 4 seasons TO SW Florida.. We Are Extatic about Living Here.. We are Very Active in our Summer 365 home and surroundings and elated to have a home on the water with all the toys you'd expect to have in SWF.. Let me remind you .....4 Seasons after about age 60 + or - are 4 months of Summer then comes Fall getting ready for winter getting colder everyday and then add some rain.... 4 months of Winter COLD AS HELL and locked down and locked in.. Spring 3 Months of cold to Freezing Rain better than total lock down and then back to Summer. Depending on where in the 4 seasons you move to. Winter most likely means locked in and miserable, and can be from 3 to 6 months or more.. No One ( Retirees) are out and about visiting anyone! Your romantisizing the 4 seasons, and when reality hits you, it will be too late..
Unless one is extremely frail, i.e., crippled/disabled, one is not "locked down and locked in" in winter unless one chooses to be. I am 70 and still quite capable of putting tires chains on the drive wheels of the car. If I hadn't injured my back about 15 years ago I would be skiing still.

People who live in Florida are in effect "locked down and locked in" during the horrible summer months of heat and humidity. They go from their air conditioned homes to their air conditioned cars to air conditioned restaurants, stores, and offices. They are prisoners of the air conditioning. I spent a couple of days in Gainesville, Florida one time visiting a cousin in APRIL one year; we went jogging at an outdoor track one morning and it was miserable in the extreme. Not for me, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or