U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 02:34 PM

477 posts, read 399,482 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I don't know - the original Mayo is in Minnesota... LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 03:27 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,672,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I would like to hear your story of how you made the transition from North to South, what age, what concerns, what challenges, etc. Of course you have family in FL so it's a huge incentive to be there. Would you have moved to FL if you didn't have family there? How ARE you dealing with the long heat/humid months? What are some of the downsides? (and where in FL are you, may I ask). That should help Northerners considering relocating there.
Moving to our area of FL is not really transitioning from North to South. Our neighbors next door, who are here four months of the year, are from Massachusetts, down the road lives two brothers from Long Island and on the corner a couple from Queens, with some folks from Texas, Georgia and Virginia mixed in. That's all on one block.

I would not have moved to FL without family here because we had never vacationed here. We liked the coastal areas of NC and SC from prior vacations, we like big water. We are in our early sixties and hadn't given a lot of thought to retirement locations. Our son lives in Venice on the Gulf coast and we've visited for over 12 years before moving; increasing the visits when the grandkids came. We've done touristy things in the area but also the Lowes/Home Depot/grocery stores/library and everyday life things here in all seasons. DH took a job within his company that was primarily in the Southeast with a relocation package. It was mostly an easy move for us.

Concerns are hurricanes, I didn't like tornado watches/warning in Indiana with every rainstorm in the spring and being back in volatile weather is the downside here. COL is similar to NY, slightly cheaper as far as retirement, but DH is still working so the no state income tax made a big difference. He has to pay NY state tax for the days he works there, which last year was 30 total.

As for dealing with the long summer, I haven't, DH has, he spends some weeks in FL and weekends in NY. I've only experienced all of September for the heat and then a switch is thrown and the heat/humidity disappear near the end of October, so 6-8 weeks of the hottest weather. When we leave the second week of May, it's getting hot but nice yet. We still snowbird, >8 months in FL and <4 months in NY. Our move came quicker than we planned and we weren't prepared. We thought we would snowbird for the best of both worlds, but have found there is nothing holding us in NY, not the weather, seasons or beauty of the area. Most of our friends in NY are planning on retiring elsewhere.

We love it here and are planning to stay, but four years ago if I were told I would be living in FL, I would have laughed at the idea. Things change and they may again. This may be our last move but it may not be. Never say never is my motto.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-09-2015 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 04:10 PM

514 posts, read 668,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Granted you improved your location in a realistic way ,but..........Cleveland, Oh. ? There are better picks than that I am sure, and still be reasonably close to the Clinic.......Your other option move to an area where Mayo Clinic is convent.
We live about three hours south of Cleveland but enjoy visiting there. Despite the bad rap it has gotten, Cleveland is a great city--parks, museums, festivals, interesting restaurants--and much cheaper than New York or DC. (It does, however, have winter....)

Old 02-09-2015, 05:03 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,896,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
We live about three hours south of Cleveland but enjoy visiting there. Despite the bad rap it has gotten, Cleveland is a great city--parks, museums, festivals, interesting restaurants--and much cheaper than New York or DC. (It does, however, have winter....)
The winter, that is what I am saying in some way. I know about Cleveland, spent some fun times there , conventions, etc. Once driving in for a annual meeting, in Jan.....a lot of snow and wind off the lake, almost turned around, but did make it to the hotel.. Some great Hungarian dining, Polish. I remember riding the train into the burbs to eat ethnic foods. At one time it was the " First Detroit" foe auto cos. , before anyone ever thought of building Fords, etc. Great automotive historical search in private collections and the Western Reserve ( I was a automotive writer) One of the best automotive museum's in the Country . Been there many times.
However , you are in rural Farm country in the middle of Ohio,quite different than Cleveland . You must be near Columbus or Canton.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:42 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
New York and DC have winter too!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:10 PM

514 posts, read 668,619 times
Quote:
However , you are in rural Farm country in the middle of Ohio,quite different than Cleveland . You must be near Columbus or Canton.
About ninety miles due south of Canton on I-77, in Marietta, Ohio (also a great town, but a long way from any urban areas)

Old 02-09-2015, 09:36 PM

14,262 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Granted you improved your location in a realistic way ,but..........Cleveland, Oh. ? There are better picks than that I am sure, and still be reasonably close to the Clinic.......Your other option move to an area where Mayo Clinic is convent.
What is wrong with Cleveland? If you stay on the west side, you miss most of the snow.

Most costs 0 including housing and medical are pretty reasonable. My only complaint was that the state and local income taxes are high. However, if you are used to New York, it is not all that bad.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:48 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,896,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What is wrong with Cleveland? If you stay on the west side, you miss most of the snow.

Most costs 0 including housing and medical are pretty reasonable. My only complaint was that the state and local income taxes are high. However, if you are used to New York, it is not all that bad.
The poster lives hours away in Marietta. I think the main attraction is the Clinic. The point here, the topic is what do you do in retirement. My point Cleveland is not so great in winter. I am sure there are a lot of snowbirds tha spend their summers in the NE Ohio areas.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:00 PM

14,262 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
The poster lives hours away in Marietta. I think the main attraction is the Clinic. The point here, the topic is what do you do in retirement. My point Cleveland is not so great in winter. I am sure there are a lot of snowbirds tha spend their summers in the NE Ohio areas.

No, but there are a lot of retirees who are moving into the Cleveland area for high quality medical care and senior services. It would have been in my top ten if not for the taxes.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 PM

9,583 posts, read 10,933,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
No, but there are a lot of retirees who are moving into the Cleveland area for high quality medical care and senior services. It would have been in my top ten if not for the taxes.
Apart from this forum, I have never known, read about, or heard about anyone who picked a retirement location based upon supposed superior medical services. I know that people sometimes make temporary moves for extended services, but to do this ahead of time would be irrational. Has this forum become the gathering spot for those with the phobic fear of death, thanatophobia?

What a wretched life: focused on illness, debilitation, and death! Squealing and whining about staying alive no matter the extent of the medical problems and being less and less (dare I say it?) of a sentient being can only wallow in wretchedness and self-pity. I've read about several centenarians in my area who had been living in their own homes, but had to move into a nursing home. They all died within a few months; they were far better off. Their bodies shut down when deep inside they knew that the days of pleasant living were behind them never to return.

Don't people ever wonder why the very ill with no hope of recovery often choose suicide as the better option?

The thread title does contain the words, ''happy where they are living.'' People who are obsessed with medical care don't live happy lives anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or