U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 10:51 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,527,059 times

Advertisements

Someone posted this Well-Being Index on another forum. Rating of the 50 states on well-being based on surveys. The less densely populated western states ranked highest.

Alaska Leads U.S. States in Well-Being for First Time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 11:47 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Someone posted this Well-Being Index on another forum. Rating of the 50 states on well-being based on surveys. The less densely populated western states ranked highest.

Alaska Leads U.S. States in Well-Being for First Time
Interesting article, ABQ. It fits well with this thread because it attempts to measure people's actual satisfaction with their locations, as opposed to coming up with a list of supposedly desirable features.
A few of my own observations about the listings:

The difference between the lowest and highest states' "well-being" indexes is rather narrow - the highest is 64.7 and the lowest is 59.0.

There are a few surprises. How can we explain that South Dakota is the third highest on the list despite its bitterly cold winter climate? Easy, in my opinion: The people who live there and have chosen to stay there do not mind the cold. The ones who can't stand it have left and/or the ones who know they'll hate it do not move there in the first place.

The geographical clustering of highs and lows on that color-coded map of the United States is interesting, but I haven't explained the clustering in my own mind.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:12 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,928,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I'm 67 and haven't a clue where to go in retirement. Mother lives in Sun City Center, FL and I certainly don't want to live there (even if I could afford to). I'd like to have a nice, small trailer somewhere where there are no hurricanes, tornados; no snow, close to 1st class medical care, car is unnecessary; grocery within walking distance, near a lake, etc.

I'm going to work until I'm 70 (unless I die before then). Is there anywhere out there for me?

Oh, I forgot...reasonable cost of living (I am quite frugal).
No.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:02 PM

514 posts, read 668,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I'm 67 and haven't a clue where to go in retirement. Mother lives in Sun City Center, FL and I certainly don't want to live there (even if I could afford to). I'd like to have a nice, small trailer somewhere where there are no hurricanes, tornados; no snow, close to 1st class medical care, car is unnecessary; grocery within walking distance, near a lake, etc.

I'm going to work until I'm 70 (unless I die before then). Is there anywhere out there for me?

Oh, I forgot...reasonable cost of living (I am quite frugal).
If it weren't for snow, you've described much of northeast Ohio. I'm not being sarcastic as we want many of the same things (though I'm fine with rivers and have fled hurricanes before). I genuinely love a lot of Ohio, but the cold winters no longer suit me.

Last edited by Rebek56; 02-20-2015 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: added thoughts

Old 02-20-2015, 11:06 PM

406 posts, read 370,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
This is where people vary. I find being "locked down" by summer heat more bearable because at least I can go out and about without having to deal with slippery roads, and in the summer the weather is usually sunny. "Locked down" by winter cold is something I find more difficult to deal with: icy roads and sidewalks, gloomy skies, and big problems if the furnace conks out while I'm not at home. I'm finding the cold imprisons me in a way the heat does not. But other folks have exactly the opposite reaction!

It seems to me that every place has 3-4 months of the year where the weather is miserable. The trick is to locate someplace where you like the weather the majority of the time, and then figure out a way to get out of town for an extended break during the season of misery.
I agree, at least most places have some bad weather. The Florida winters are so nice. The weather starts to cool off in October and is nice until at least April or May. We just go fishing early, or walk early before it gets too hot. Then do errands...the car and stores are air conditioned. By the time it's afternoon, we're happy to stay inside and spend time on hobbies, or whatever. I've lived in all sorts of climates and I'll take the hot summers over gloomy cold winters that seem to go on forever. At least the sun is cheery.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:18 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,894,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
I agree, at least most places have some bad weather. The Florida winters are so nice. The weather starts to cool off in October and is nice until at least April or May. We just go fishing early, or walk early before it gets too hot. Then do errands...the car and stores are air conditioned. By the time it's afternoon, we're happy to stay inside and spend time on hobbies, or whatever. I've lived in all sorts of climates and I'll take the hot summers over gloomy cold winters that seem to go on forever. At least the sun is cheery.
I lived in Florida for 5 years, it's hot , humid , bugs big time , as far as I am concerned it's not a year round place for anyone. The SW is far better with little humidity ....no hurricanes ether.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:29 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,953,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I lived in Florida for 5 years, it's hot , humid , bugs big time , as far as I am concerned it's not a year round place for anyone. The SW is far better with little humidity ....no hurricanes ether.
I totally agree with your statement! It is not fit to live down here during the 8 months-long summers

Old 02-21-2015, 10:08 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,928,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
Oh no, that's just crazy-talk! Don't you know Florida is unliveable!!!??? At least according to the Florida haters on here, who cannot fathom that some of us actually like it here and don't find the summers unbearable. They will argue with you all day long.....

For me, maybe it's because I'm old now, maybe I can tolerate the heat/humidity more than the younger folk. I've only been here one summer, but it was a hot one by all standards. I took my dog to a park on the island, sat comfortably in the shade for at least an hour and sometimes two every afternoon. There was only ONE DAY that there was no breeze and I remember having to fan myself. I also enjoyed the beach (with my umbrella) and the warm, peacefully calm turquoise Gulf water (89 degrees!...so soothing on these old bones). And regardless of how hot it is, the heat doesn't cause me PAIN like the cold does. My hands literally ached in the cold, even in the house. I would be dying if I were up home in the current frigid temps.

Don't get me wrong, I love my hometown up North, and Florida is far from perfect....but sunshine, palm trees, lush vegetation, white sand, and being surrounded by turquoise water makes this a happy place for me. Bring on the haters!

Old 02-21-2015, 11:36 PM

39,551 posts, read 47,756,756 times
Love the AZ desert, been here over 50 years. Right now in my shorts daily, out on the boat fishing.
We leave to cooler weather the 3 hot months. Life is good.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:20 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,953,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Oh no, that's just crazy-talk! Don't you know Florida is unliveable!!!??? At least according to the Florida haters on here, who cannot fathom that some of us actually like it here and don't find the summers unbearable. They will argue with you all day long.....

For me, maybe it's because I'm old now, maybe I can tolerate the heat/humidity more than the younger folk. I've only been here one summer, but it was a hot one by all standards. I took my dog to a park on the island, sat comfortably in the shade for at least an hour and sometimes two every afternoon. There was only ONE DAY that there was no breeze and I remember having to fan myself. I also enjoyed the beach (with my umbrella) and the warm, peacefully calm turquoise Gulf water (89 degrees!...so soothing on these old bones). And regardless of how hot it is, the heat doesn't cause me PAIN like the cold does. My hands literally ached in the cold, even in the house. I would be dying if I were up home in the current frigid temps.

Don't get me wrong, I love my hometown up North, and Florida is far from perfect....but sunshine, palm trees, lush vegetation, white sand, and being surrounded by turquoise water makes this a happy place for me. Bring on the haters!
Ha ha, I guess I've been through too many hurricanes. About 7 of them! Including the worst of Hurricane Andrew The best, for me, would be to spend the warm seasons (spring, summer, fall) up north and November through March down south. Avalon, every summer is hot down here. Every one, just the nature of life in Florida. Many people love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or