Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 01:28 AM

7,033 posts, read 6,282,940 times

Advertisements

Happy, a person like myself, hurt in a car accident that was not my fault, medical care is imperative. I've had so many complications with this back injury. And there are many of us who have high cholesterol & or/ heart issues that yes, we have to look at healthcare.

I love your posts but this is another case of, if you haven't walked in those shoes, you don't know what the specific needs are.

But, ya, I agree, it sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 03:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,589,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Happy, a person like myself, hurt in a car accident that was not my fault, medical care is imperative. I've had so many complications with this back injury. And there are many of us who have high cholesterol & or/ heart issues that yes, we have to look at healthcare.

I love your posts but this is another case of, if you haven't walked in those shoes, you don't know what the specific needs are.

But, ya, I agree, it sucks.
I don't mean people like you who already have problems and, I suspect, would not wish to move away from their present locations in the hope of finding that miracle doctor. You're dealing with your situation in a prudent manner. I'm aggravated with people who are sitting and waiting for that day that they know will come when they become incontinent, drooling, and befuddled, but they're happy to be alive no matter what that life is.

I lost both my mother and my wife to cancer so I do understand. I also know that both of them lived as normal people before it struck. Neither whined about needing live next door to a hospital just in case. Neither of them were victims of phobic fear. They stood on their feet until the end.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:49 AM

555 posts, read 891,441 times
We are actually considering the Cleveland area in retirement because of the plethora of good acoustic music venues for my spouse and the plethora of free-admission parks and museums for me. We can afford normal admission fees but have spent many years teaching the children of people who can't and want those folks to have the same access we do.In terms of taxes, we are coming to accept the idea that you get what you pay for (at the same time that we don't enjoy writing those checks any more than most people do).

Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,959,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Apart from this forum, I have never known, read about, or heard about anyone who picked a retirement location based upon supposed superior medical services. I know that people sometimes make temporary moves for extended services, but to do this ahead of time would be irrational. Has this forum become the gathering spot for those with the phobic fear of death, thanatophobia?

What a wretched life: focused on illness, debilitation, and death! Squealing and whining about staying alive no matter the extent of the medical problems and being less and less (dare I say it?) of a sentient being can only wallow in wretchedness and self-pity. I've read about several centenarians in my area who had been living in their own homes, but had to move into a nursing home. They all died within a few months; they were far better off. Their bodies shut down when deep inside they knew that the days of pleasant living were behind them never to return.

Don't people ever wonder why the very ill with no hope of recovery often choose suicide as the better option?

The thread title does contain the words, ''happy where they are living.'' People who are obsessed with medical care don't live happy lives anywhere.
My goodness, this is perhaps the strangest post I've ever seen of yours. Have you no idea that many people including seniors have ongoing debilitating disease and handicaps? They do not necessarily wallow in wretchedness and self-pity. They need to be near the kind of medical service for their particular problems. Traveling far distances by plane, train and auto is NOT an answer when you're 65+ and have to have specific kinds of care. If I had a debilitating illness, I'd head to Boston, mountains of snow notwithstanding.

This is an irrational post, and not like you at all (usually).

Old 02-10-2015, 06:57 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,447,294 times
Just wanted to add that "acclimating" is very different when you are elderly than when you are 20-something.

I love my family and love Wisconsin - but I will never be able to live in that climate again.

It's just too hard.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:16 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,095,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well said. Both are extremes. But then again, it is downright humid in much of the country unless you go West. For many, West is a natural place to be, it's doable. For those with close ties in the East, or who are East Coast natives, the West option seems extreme.

I agree with the poster who says we acclimate to wherever we are...if there is a good reason to be wherever we are. As retirees, we have more options of course b/c we are not tied to a location due to a career/job. When I was working FT I hardly ever thought about the winters up here. And the "weathermen/women" and the media made no big deal about snowstorms and temps, winter was winter so what did anyone expect?

Now that I'm seeing 70 in the not-distant future, and the media is whipping up the horrors of winter, and I'm feeling the difficulties of it, yes I am tempted to look at options...but for me personally, the two choices waver between the extremes of SW parched heat and drowning in FL humidity. I don't like those choices.
That is one of the big reasons we chose Tennessee for retirement. We were initially looking in the Catskills (upstate NY) and our last trip house hunting had us following the plow/salt truck up the hill to reach the house. And then finding our trip cut short at 11 pm watching the weather prediction of a nasty ice storm that would have prevented us from returning to the city (NYC) where my husband HAD to be at work at 7 am. We realized that was not the environment we wanted for retirement.

So we looked at states that were nice to retirees - low/no tax on income. We ruled out Florida because of the summer weather - my husband had lived there for many years and hated the humidity as well as the temperature ON THE COAST all times of the year. We ruled out the SW for the high temps even during April - we spent a week in Las Vegas and hated the heat. I had gone to college in the NE corner of Tenn, and loved the short and moderate winter, it had lots of summer months but still had all 4 seasons. AND it's super nice to retirees although our corner doesn't have the best medical care - but we aren't ready for a decision based on that ... yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Just wanted to add that "acclimating" is very different when you are elderly than when you are 20-something.

I love my family and love Wisconsin - but I will never be able to live in that climate again.

It's just too hard.
I feel the same about New England. I wish I were closer to family and friends but I just have no interest in dealing with the snow, ice, and winter temps. Plus, I like being able to use the pool a minimum of 4 months.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
My goodness, this is perhaps the strangest post I've ever seen of yours. Have you no idea that many people including seniors have ongoing debilitating disease and handicaps? They do not necessarily wallow in wretchedness and self-pity. They need to be near the kind of medical service for their particular problems. Traveling far distances by plane, train and auto is NOT an answer when you're 65+ and have to have specific kinds of care. If I had a debilitating illness, I'd head to Boston, mountains of snow notwithstanding.

This is an irrational post, and not like you at all (usually).
I was very clear that I meant healthy or apparently healthy people who wished to move near major medical centers because of fear of the future. I have known numerous people who had serious medical problems, but not one of these ever moved. If I were in this situation I doubt that I could move to another city.

Although I don't believe he has posted on this thread there is one fairly regular poster on the chat thread who lives in a NE city. He constantly talks about the "wonderful" medical centers although he apparently doesn't need them. That's phobic.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 02-10-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 11:47 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,959,420 times
Quote:
I was very clear that I meant healthy or apparently healthy people who wished to move near major medical centers because of fear of the future. I have known numerous people who had serious medical problems, but not one of these ever moved. If I were in this situation I doubt that I could move to another city.

Although I don't believe he has posted on this thread there is one fairly regularl poster on the chat thread who lives in a NE city. He constantly talks about the "wonderful" medical centers although he apparently doesn't need them. That's phobic.
Thanks for clarifying. But still, you know, around our age things could change overnight, and then where would we be if we were hours from decent medical care? I'm not saying we should dwell on it, but it can be a factor in location choice for seniors. I have a student (older than me) who one week in class was healthy and the following week not in class, she was hospitalized for pneumonia and nearly died from a collapsed lung. I'm glad for her that she lives near a 1st rate hospital, not a 3rd (which is fine for broken bones, etc). Also, top-rate hospitals have not only better doctors but up-to-date diagnostic equipment.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. But still, you know, around our age things could change overnight, and then where would we be if we were hours from decent medical care? I'm not saying we should dwell on it, but it can be a factor in location choice for seniors. I have a student (older than me) who one week in class was healthy and the following week not in class, she was hospitalized for pneumonia and nearly died from a collapsed lung. I'm glad for her that she lives near a 1st rate hospital, not a 3rd (which is fine for broken bones, etc). Also, top-rate hospitals have not only better doctors but up-to-date diagnostic equipment.
It's not worth spending my life in some foul city to be near one. I'd rather live 71 years (my current age) where I am than 81 where I'd hate the place every single day.

I'll read the picture posting information and do something.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,682 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Quote:
It's not worth spending my life in some foul city to be near one. I'd rather live 71 years (my current age) where I am than 81 where I'd hate the place every single day.
IIRC, you have only been in Cody <10yrs?

Yes I agree not to be 'phobeic' in living next to a full service HC when you have little odds of needing one, but... as other posters ave mentioned. Stuff happens.

I was thankful to have access to Sheridan, WY Veterans Center for 10 of the 32 yrs I cared for my dad. But there came a time we had to relocate due to increasing care needs.

I keep my name on the list at WY Pioneer Home.

Sooner or later, I will be back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement