Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 07:39 AM

14 posts, read 22,203 times

Advertisements

So, am 62 and retiring 6/1. I could delay SS filing/benefit for about 6 months by using some funds out of cash savings accounts, but running the numbers, it looks like the increased monthly SS payments (and projected COL increases) would take 10 years to break even.

So, it doesn't look like using that cash to defer SS for those months would really make sense, but am I missing something/some consideration other than just break-even calculations? Btw, taking that six months of equivalent SS money out of savings wouldn't deplete it and I would still have other funds available if needed (401K etc).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 AM

6,623 posts, read 7,334,922 times
I do not think you are missing any thing.
If you do not have to retire_I would go to A fee only financial planner And review your retirement finances.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:43 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
No, you are correct. If you are not working at a similar salary and paying into SS, the gain to waiting is minimal. And you are depleting your savings in the meantime.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:44 AM

9 posts, read 9,716 times
Break even is one way of looking at it, but another valid perspective is as an insurance alternative. To be safe, your basic needs should be covered by guaranteed income like a pension or annuity. Then your wants can be funded from a risk portfolio including stocks and bonds.

Social Security can be thought of as an annuity, and by delaying you are in effect buying an incremental slice of annuity. If the annuity is a good deal, and you desire the guaranteed income, then delaying would be a rational choice.

To evaluate whether it is a good deal or not, price what an annuity from an insurance company would cost by going to immediateannuities.com

Old 02-05-2015, 09:38 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
No, you are correct. If you are not working at a similar salary and paying into SS, the gain to waiting is minimal. And you are depleting your savings in the meantime.

Sorry I disagree. If he waits to collect to at least MRA then he is looking at a much larger monthly income. That of course is a big if. He would obviously need income to survive for those 4 years. A part time income job and suplement it with savings is an option he could consider. It really all depends on his current financial status. Also that SS income increases yet again if he can even wait until age 70. Again all dependent upon thier financial status. A financial planner can help and that is something suggested here and I agree he should look at that.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
He is not waiting to FRA as per his post and my response is accurate.

If he WERE waiting to FRA and working at the same financial level then yes he would have a much larger SS benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement