Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:36 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times

Advertisements

Do any snowbirds and sunbirds actually rent a second home for a season rather than having to own two properties? It seems such a hassel taking care of two properties all year long. I tried it for a year and it was frustrating. Are there ever people in the second location that will rent out their homes during the nice times of the year? And, here comes the big issue, will they ever let you bring your dog with you? Now that I'm retired I would like to 'try out' some new, out of state areas, but I can't figure out how to rent a nice residence (I do want clean and attractive) and still be able to have my 'best friend' with me. Do real estate agents help you locate these opportunities, or do they just not exist. Could you leave a bond with an independent party that you won't wreck the home? The property would not need to be in a high-tourist area, just somewhere within maybe an hour of some nice attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:41 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,885 times
Have you looked at VRBO? We are doing this now in Florida, renting and checking out different areas. Don't know how long you want to rent in an area but many on VRBO want longer rentals. We had difficulty finding places less than a month and some even wanted 3-4 month rentals.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:44 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
I will look there. Three months would be great. Have you ever known people with a pet to do this?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 AM

530 posts, read 667,153 times
Some people love VRBO but I wish they'd loosen up and rent for one month. It seems silly to rent for three months if you don't know if you are going to not like it at all even for one month.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:04 AM

721 posts, read 996,075 times
When my husband i and finally become snowbirds for the entire winter, that is what we are going to do. currently we are renting a lovely condo through VRBO. We had no problems at all renting for only 2 weeks. I saw quite a few places that take dogs. Most don't take cats but dogs seem to be quite welcome many times. Good luck. We love VRBO and cannot say one bad thing so far.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Some people love VRBO but I wish they'd loosen up and rent for one month.
That's a different (and far more problematic) market.
A market mostly met by the extended stay motel and efficiency type operators.
Especially so "in season"

Quote:
It seems silly to rent for three months if you don't know if you are going
to not like it at all even for one month.
Beats committing to a six month lease though.. right?

Most VR customers know they want to be in the immediate area.
They'll have been there before and likely seen the development the rental is in
during one of their previous vacations to the area.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:07 AM

530 posts, read 667,153 times
Were you able to get a two week rental in southeast Florida?

Old 02-03-2015, 11:09 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I will look there. Three months would be great. Have you ever known people with a pet to do this?
google VRBO pets allowed

Old 02-03-2015, 11:46 AM

372 posts, read 576,202 times
My husband, our 3 beagles, and I just moved back to SoCal, and I know that someday in the near future,
I'm going to want to hit the trail and go 'live' someplace else for a month or two. Some like it hot, but I
don't, so I look back up at the Pacific Northwest where at least it's still green when it's hot outside!

I have used VRBO before, for rentals in Pismo Beach, and those 2 places allowed dogs. I am hoping to find
something similar for upcoming trips.

I also have thought that doing some sort of home swap would be cool. We have pet-friendly floors, so allowing
pets would be a certainty, if we knew the people going into it.

Oh, that's just me talking, though. I'd have to put some work into the husband to go along with that scenario!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I have used VRBO and 'Home Away" + many places have house-/-pet -/- plant -/- farm sitting on these registries:
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

(lots of international stays)
HomeAway: Vacation Rentals, Beach Houses, Cabins & More

Eventually when I find an area I like, I either:

1) buy a very cheap place with extra RV and apartment for me and rent out the main house (tax deductible travel for maint related trips back)
2) partner with a farmer and fix an old house on the place that I can use (EZr to do internationally than buying / maintaining). Most farms in foriegn countries have several residences for workers / caretakers.

I get my places near airports and then leave a cheap car there for me to use.
There were pets flying (for free) on my SWA flight today.
My farm dog stays home. He is much happier and useful there. (to glean varmints & protect the cats from predators!). Condo / indoor life might cause him depression, he has never seen a fence or leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement