Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 08:58 AM

14 posts, read 12,357 times

Advertisements

I have a Roth IRA. When I retire, I would like to take a sizeable chunk of money out to pay off my mortgage and do a few home repairs. Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to do this? I wouldn't have to pay any tax on any of it, would I? Or any sort of penalty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 10:16 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,906,512 times
Check the rules but as far as I know if you are >59.5 and the funds are over five years in the account you should be able to do this without a tax impact.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
As above + your 'contributions' are exempt from tax or penalty pre age 59.5 (with conditions, many retire pre-age 59.5).
Roth IRAs: Distributions | Investopedia
Publication 590 (2013), Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

Old 02-04-2015, 11:52 AM

6,537 posts, read 7,037,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarwain View Post
I have a Roth IRA. When I retire, I would like to take a sizeable chunk of money out to pay off my mortgage and do a few home repairs. Is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to do this? I wouldn't have to pay any tax on any of it, would I? Or any sort of penalty?
Short answer is yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Check the rules but as far as I know if you are >59.5 and the funds are over five years in the account you should be able to do this without a tax impact.
This is essentially incorrect. There is a tax impact. You were though referring to the early withdrawal penalty prior to 59.5. I just wanted to clear that up. You are right that there is no penalty.

If you do the entire mortgage iarwain be weary about the actual amount you pull out will be taxable.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:57 AM

6,537 posts, read 7,037,142 times
I just actually noticed. You said it is a Roth. In that case that is tax free so one no penalty and two no tax. Sorry for my confusion.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:13 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,394,994 times
You can do it, but do you want to? The money in your Roth can produce tax-free income for the rest of your life. Consider just taking out enough in a lump sum to do the repairs, and then set up a monthly withdrawal equal to your house payment. If you invest in high yield stocks, sooner or later you will end up with a paid off house AND a sizeable Roth balance.

Don't do this if you would be prone to wet your pants and sell out low in a downturn. If so, your original plan is best.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
You can do it, but do you want to? The money in your Roth can produce tax-free income for the rest of your life. Consider just taking out enough in a lump sum to do the repairs, and then set up a monthly withdrawal equal to your house payment. If you invest in high yield stocks, sooner or later you will end up with a paid off house AND a sizeable Roth balance.

Don't do this if you would be prone to wet your pants and sell out low in a downturn. If so, your original plan is best.
true, I don't advocate drawing down a ROTH, as it has much flexibility and I keep my highest gains / greatest risk stuff there. I still roll from Traditional IRA to ROTH when I can do so for under 5% tax hit. (yrs with low earnings).

I am one that will keep a low interest mortgage throughout retirement, (I have 3.25% on 1st and second homes). It frees capital for other investments (I keep mortgage equity invested in secured real estate, such as a few 'paid-off' rental homes, just in case TSHTF, I have an escape plan).

Each retiree needs their own plan. ( I wish I could get mine to a SINGLE plan,,, finance 101, get a plan and stick with it until the facts (IRS changes / health) indicate you need to change the plan)

Thanks Golf, You had me reeling and searching WHY a ROTH would have tax or penalty. I benefited from my research yesterday (got some new ROTH ideas).

OP needs to add retirement age to keep us honest / accurate.

Retire Early, Retire Often!

Old 02-05-2015, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 12,357 times
Thanks guys, that's pretty much how I thought it was, but I wanted some confirmation.

Regarding the suggestions to keep the money in the Roth instead of paying off the mortgage, I'll have to give that some consideration. It would be nice to get rid of that monthly bill though, that was my main thought. If I get rid of that, my cost of living goes down nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement