U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:10 PM

514 posts, read 669,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Perhaps where you are, but certainly not in older parts of the country like New England. There are no "clusters" (wish there were). Everything is far-flung. Supermarket one direction, doctors and dentist another, mall or downtown shopping another, etc...Whether you live in cities like Boston, Worcester, NYC, Hartford, etc or in a small town (or, definitely, rural) you are packing some serious miles on in the course of one day. I often wonder about how my rural friends, and those in large cities, are going to negotiate their outings in elder years.

So, I'm curious...where are these clusters?
My husband spent the last four years of his career at the University of Toledo and rented an apartment a mile and a half from his office. What I noticed when I spent a sabbatical there was how logically parts of West Toledo were organized: main shopping/services streets a mile or so apart with residential streets running perpendicularly between them, with fairly frequent bus stops. Daily errands did not require a car at all in that part of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,007,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
My husband spent the last four years of his career at the University of Toledo and rented an apartment a mile and a half from his office. What I noticed when I spent a sabbatical there was how logically parts of West Toledo were organized: main shopping/services streets a mile or so apart with residential streets running perpendicularly between them, with fairly frequent bus stops. Daily errands did not require a car at all in that part of town.
Sounds ideal. Where's Toledo?

Old 02-08-2015, 08:28 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,529,524 times
Quote:
Sounds ideal. Where's Toledo?
Ask Cpl. Klinger!

Old 02-08-2015, 09:48 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,347,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ask Cpl. Klinger!
^^^^^^^

Great response

Old 02-08-2015, 09:48 PM

2,394 posts, read 7,776,337 times
Holy Toledo, go Mud Hens!

Toledo is in northwest Ohio, on the western end of Lake Erie, about 50 miles south of Detroit. It's a former industrial powerhouse which has struggled in the last 3 decades. One thing in Toledo's favor is a good geographical location along main east-west and north-south rail lines, Interstate 80 & 90, and Interstate 75 (Canada to south Florida). Toledo is one of the rust belt cities, but it did not lose as much of it's population base as places in Michigan like Detroit & Flint.

I've been to Toledo a few times. Because it was home to a lot of prosperous manufacturing companies in the first half of the 20th century, the city is loaded with the types of classic buildings, museums, parks and performing arts centers that one would normally find only in much larger cities.

Because Toledo's population has declined in the past few decades and there is no influx like in sunbelt areas, there are a LOT of houses available to buy or rent at very reasonable prices. Many of these were built in the early 20th century, and were well built with brick exterior and nice hardwood floors. Many are small 2 or 3 bedroom and 1 bath, which was common at the time.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,007,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ask Cpl. Klinger!
Who's he?

Old 02-09-2015, 02:44 PM

277 posts, read 298,850 times
Quote:
Who's he?
LOL! I'm going to wonder if you're really a boomer, NEG.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:45 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,251,822 times
Here, negirl ...
Maxwell Q. Klinger

Old 02-09-2015, 03:05 PM

19,913 posts, read 18,921,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Here, negirl ...
Maxwell Q. Klinger
Oh! I sort of guessed that but I wonder if NEG will know. The only reason I might have guessed that is that I knew someone who used to watch that program. But then, I never watched Dallas either.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:12 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,529,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Oh! I sort of guessed that but I wonder if NEG will know. The only reason I might have guessed that is that I knew someone who used to watch that program. But then, I never watched Dallas either.
How terribly UnAmerican!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement