U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:04 PM

514 posts, read 667,979 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid I miss most pop-culture references--but I do remember Corporal Klinger. BTW, Toledo hosts a Jamie Farr (the actor who gave us that character) golf event.

NEG, we are back in the Mid-Ohio Valley as I am still working, but northern Ohio has a lot going for it (though mild winters and February sunshine do not make the list).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 05:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
LOL! I'm going to wonder if you're really a boomer, NEG.
I was madly working and bringing up a passel of kids some of them not mine and never watched TV. I was only vaguely aware of M.A.S.H. and other popular entertainment. So maybe I don't qualify as a boomer. That would be a relief.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I was madly working and bringing up a passel of kids some of them not mine and never watched TV. I was only vaguely aware of M.A.S.H. and other popular entertainment. So maybe I don't qualify as a boomer. That would be a relief.
Even mad mothers need a break and some comic relief now and then.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 PM

2,611 posts, read 1,362,669 times
Well, I have slogged through 12 pages of this particular thread on this fabulous forum and found myself alternately smiling at some posters' ideas ("can't imagine anyone walking a half mile at age 71"), and feeling a little like we got a bit off subject with everyone who extolled their retirement choice which obviously was not what the OP was asking for. Never mind. It was all great reading. Proves again that we're all different in what we want. I could have written the OP's original post, and also a couple of others. When you get to my age (77) you don't want to be jumping in the car and facing the 30-year-old tailgaters on the road. However, my husband and I are great walkers and belong to a walking group who regularly go 4 to 6 mile walks on trails. We're also great believers in public transportation systems. So we want a place to live where we can leave the car at home and walk, or jump on public transportation. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean the wonderful wide open spaces, much as we enjoy them when we're in them.

Seems to me that a big city could provide everything, if you can manage to love living in a big city and find a neighborhood that feels like a neighborhood. Because I don't just want supermarkets, doctors' offices, and pharmacies. I want museums, theater, and parks as well. Maybe a nice senior's course or two - a choir group maybe? Book club? Learn French or Spanish? No driving, tho. But might not be able to sleep at night for all the city noise..... This is what makes the search a tough one. Wanting not just the meat and potatoes but the ice cream too.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post

Seems to me that a big city could provide everything, .... This is what makes the search a tough one. Wanting not just the meat and potatoes but the ice cream too.
City is Not a good choice for astrologers who disdain light pollution. *Interestingly, I have helped 4 retirees build telescopes for their country homes.

I will prefer my sleeping with windows open and listening to coyotes and owls. Love those silent mornings after a snow.

Thank goodness we are all different. It could get crowded around here!
My half mile is walking back and forth to the barn

Old 02-20-2015, 07:55 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,079,972 times
We moved to the periphery of a pretty college town (90K) with plenty of shopping and an intact and thriving downtown. We found rural property about 5-10 minutes out, for some of the reasons discussed by Montana. We are also 45 miles from the edge of a major metro area. Our town has pretty much everything we need.

Ironically I think we spend less time in the car running around than we did in the heart of a 300K city because we combine trips. If we needed something in our previous city, we hopped in the car. Very inefficient. So now we make lists for town business and then go out. Same with the trip to the metro area. We gather the errands/appointments and make one trip. Our local hospital is rated one of the top in the nation. I have one of the best dentists that I've ever had here. There is plenty to do, events, concerts, travel access, relative proximity to family.

We gave up a bit on climate though. It gets cold often enough in the winter, hot in the summer and we have bugs (the worst part for me) and the wind blows but property costs are reasonable, the people friendly. I always suggest traveling around to look at a few areas of the country that you think you might be interested in. Stay long enough to know if you will fit.

Good luck.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 02-20-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 08:31 AM

277 posts, read 298,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Stay long enough to know if you will fit.Good luck.
This sentence grabbed my attention, and it's a subtle but important difference in perspective that could add a lot in many major decisions: where to move, what career path to pursue, even whom to marry, etc. "Will this place fit me?" vs "Will I fit this place?"
(fellow Kansan)

Old 02-20-2015, 08:57 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times
I can honestly say that each person is different at different ages. My dad at age 86 was still bowling and golfing every week. He drove his car from NJ to FL to vacation, etc.... He would do this alone even at age 86. I only wish that I will have the same good health at his age.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:20 AM

514 posts, read 667,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Well, I have slogged through 12 pages of this particular thread on this fabulous forum and found myself alternately smiling at some posters' ideas ("can't imagine anyone walking a half mile at age 71"), and feeling a little like we got a bit off subject with everyone who extolled their retirement choice which obviously was not what the OP was asking for. Never mind. It was all great reading. Proves again that we're all different in what we want. I could have written the OP's original post, and also a couple of others. When you get to my age (77) you don't want to be jumping in the car and facing the 30-year-old tailgaters on the road. However, my husband and I are great walkers and belong to a walking group who regularly go 4 to 6 mile walks on trails. We're also great believers in public transportation systems. So we want a place to live where we can leave the car at home and walk, or jump on public transportation. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean the wonderful wide open spaces, much as we enjoy them when we're in them.

Seems to me that a big city could provide everything, if you can manage to love living in a big city and find a neighborhood that feels like a neighborhood. Because I don't just want supermarkets, doctors' offices, and pharmacies. I want museums, theater, and parks as well. Maybe a nice senior's course or two - a choir group maybe? Book club? Learn French or Spanish? No driving, tho. But might not be able to sleep at night for all the city noise..... This is what makes the search a tough one. Wanting not just the meat and potatoes but the ice cream too.
Check out Cleveland Heights, which is mentioned frequently on the Cleveland, Ohio, thread. We have visited there and are actually considering it for retirement, as bad as NE Ohio winters are. (We are also, paradoxically, considering Florida, where we both grew up.) The town seems to be built around several shopping clusters (we were only in Coventry Village, but it is charming and quirky, all local stores), has a variety of housing types from modest 1920's flats to million-dollar mansions, has bus service that connects to a local train system, and is near University Circle, home to museums and the Cleveland Symphony. CH has its own parks, and the Cleveland Metropark system is fabulous. I don't know about nighttime noise, but CH has lots of old trees, so it doesn't feel like a big city.

Now--you pay for what you get. NE Ohioans pay more in taxes than people do in some other places. Pensions, however, are not taxable.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:00 PM

2,611 posts, read 1,362,669 times
Interesting, Rebek56. I will look at it. We did live in the Chicago area, and then in Chicago, for a total of about 10 years. I would not go back there. But maybe Ohio would be worth a look. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement