U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:15 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times

Advertisements

I think these clusters exist in mainly in higher density population areas. Like you mentioned, if you live in a fairly rural area or lower population area, they will be spread out if they exist at all. At least that's been my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 03:46 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,335,938 times
Las Vegas. Yeah it's too hot in the summer but the taxes are low. I pay about $600 per year in property taxes. And the COL has to stay low because most here work some kind of customer service type jobs and they have to live here. There is always something to do! Most of the time, it's very pleasant and it's never too cold to be out and about.

There is paratransit here for people who can't ride the bus. Door to door service. 24x7 by appointment. I see the bus on my street daily, I have a neighbor who uses it.

Within a half mile of my home(very walkable), there is a large grocery store, Starbucks, banks, sit down restaurants and fast food, pharmacies, dry cleaner, bookstore, thrift store, vet, and doctor's offices. If you expand out to a 2 mile radius, there are 4 or 5 grocery stores, Walmart, Target, large swapmeet, numerous discount stores, library, post office, and a major hospital/medical center complex. And most of the restaurants will deliver to my house even. There is a senior center too but I have never been there. I know someone who uses it and says it's quite nice and the food is good.

I live in a very urban area and that's what I wanted. I had the years/decades of being isolated out in the country. And the windy icy roads. The major roads here are mostly flat and 6 lanes. My house is single story, 1500sf, 2 car garage, 2br, 2ba, and a VERY private back yard with a pool and a large covered patio. No yard work because of desert landscaping. My yard work is a gallon of Roundup every spring. If I want to there are areas for a garden or planting things. I do have to pick up dog poop quite often but that's life. At least it dries out fast. The master has a walk in shower and there is a full size tub in the other bathroom.

I just finished designing a plan to take my pool off the grid and go solar. This will cut down my electric bill. I am buying 4 panels and a brushless DC pump. I will use the exhaust from the pump to heat the water in the main pool. If it works as well as I think it will, the pool will be swimmable almost year round. I will still rely on gas heat for the hot tub but I only run it occasionally.

My hope is to age in place here. I did the best I could and at least everything I need is close by. And I no longer spend all my time shoveling and mowing! No more hurricanes, tornadoes, straight line winds, blizzards or bugs either!

Old 02-05-2015, 04:00 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,877,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Perhaps where you are, but certainly not in older parts of the country like New England. There are no "clusters" (wish there were). Everything is far-flung. Supermarket one direction, doctors and dentist another, mall or downtown shopping another, etc...Whether you live in cities like Boston, Worcester, NYC, Hartford, etc or in a small town (or, definitely, rural) you are packing some serious miles on in the course of one day. I often wonder about how my rural friends, and those in large cities, are going to negotiate their outings in elder years.

So, I'm curious...where are these clusters?
You should be looking where many other retirees chose to relocate to and since you are from New England easy access to making occasional return trips back home. Amtrak is 5 miles from this area.

Here is a place I recommend, not because we live there, we are 12 miles from there. I think it meets the needs of a lot of retirees that want easy access shopping, large full service hospital, restaurants and almost zero possibility of ever having to shovel any snow.

Yes it's in the South and yes it gets hot that's why every home has A/C.

Pinehurst Trace: Sandhills Living at its Best

Old 02-05-2015, 04:03 PM

25,338 posts, read 41,458,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is there any place in America where an old(er) person doesn't have to drive more than 5 or 10 min to get everything? Where say a possibly more frail 85-year-old could get everything right in town? I'd like to hear from those who do live in such a town/small city, or who know of one from direct experience. Is anyone else factoring this in to their relocation plan?
There are a lot of places, some better than others, we chose the Albuquerque, NM area and have been here since 1998 and have had our share of moving over the years, so I think this place is we will stay, but I re-evaluate once a year just out of habit. New Mexico is not for everyone.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:30 PM

1,202 posts, read 683,126 times
We hope/intend to move back to Michigans upper peninsula, probably Sault Ste. Marie although Marquette is a definite possibility.

Climate is somewhat harsh for 4-5 months of the year so a warm climate is definitely not high on our list of wants. Marquette is noticeably larger than the Soo and probably has a better medical system.

The Soo is still a walkable small town, with the tourist trade in the summer and the state university all year. We have lived there, although many years ago, and have visited frequently since.

Simple lifestyle and easy access to shopping and the things we like to do is possible there. Can't wait to get back. Either city will suit our needs perfectly.

1-2 years to go until retirement.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:37 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
The closest thing from our house is a gas station and convenience store four miles up the road and there's another three miles further on. The closest two grocery stores, a Lowe's, an auto parts store, a couple of pharmacies, some restaurants and my wife's hairdresser are a total of almost 19 miles from home. The hospital and medical, dental and vision care as well as any major shopping (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Petco, Kohl's, an outlets mall, department store and much, much more along with multitudinous entertainment venues and a huge selection of restaurants are from 22 to 25 miles away. The first 12 miles are on twisty-turny, uppy-downy, two lane, Ozark country roads.

This is a major change from living in downtown Sacramento, CA where everything was within walking distance but we've thoroughly enjoyed the rural, country living - something we've both enjoyed in the past - for going on seven years now. As long as I can drive we're good to go. If that ability every ends then we acknowledge that we'll have to sell the house, downsize and move back to "civilization." Personally, I think I'd rather assume room temperature!

Oh yeah! It snowed today. Not a lot but we do get all four seasons here. It's part of its charm.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I think these clusters exist in mainly in higher density population areas. Like you mentioned, if you live in a fairly rural area or lower population area, they will be spread out if they exist at all. At least that's been my experience.
When we lived in St Louis with our kids, we did quite a bit of driving every day. Nothing was clustered at all. I drove from home to schools (not close) to pediatricians/doctors to orthodentists to supermarket to malls, etc etc. Seemed like, what with working and shuttling, I was in the car all day. And St Louis is densely populated.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,836,958 times
where my house is in Tucson, I can take a bike path to trader joe's, the mall, an open air mall with a few restaurants and a coffee shop, a couple parks, the racquetball club, the JCC, etc. Of course from May - October it is extremely hot during the day. Unfortunately what you are asking for: clustered, with nice weather, is extremely expensive in the USA.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:42 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times
People never seem to think of the Midwest unless they are from there. I first moved to PA from NY. Gave it a good try - three years, and fell upon NE Ohio.

1. Low Cost of living.
2. Friendly.
3. Near the Cleveland Clinic. (hey you never know)
4. politically moderate.
5. lots of good colleges - Oberlin, Ohio Wesleyan, Case Western Reserve etc.
6. Four seasons.
7. Good restaurants - not all chains.
8. Nearby cultural events, museums, and out door recreational activities.

Best of all, inexpensive enough to travel a lot. So many people - not all retired but with older children in college or on their own, spend the months after Christmas someplace warm.
Next year, when my daughter goes away to college, that will be me.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The closest thing from our house is a gas station and convenience store four miles up the road and there's another three miles further on. The closest two grocery stores, a Lowe's, an auto parts store, a couple of pharmacies, some restaurants and my wife's hairdresser are a total of almost 19 miles from home. The hospital and medical, dental and vision care as well as any major shopping (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Petco, Kohl's, an outlets mall, department store and much, much more along with multitudinous entertainment venues and a huge selection of restaurants are from 22 to 25 miles away. The first 12 miles are on twisty-turny, uppy-downy, two lane, Ozark country roads.

This is a major change from living in downtown Sacramento, CA where everything was within walking distance but we've thoroughly enjoyed the rural, country living - something we've both enjoyed in the past - for going on seven years now. As long as I can drive we're good to go. If that ability every ends then we acknowledge that we'll have to sell the house, downsize and move back to "civilization." Personally, I think I'd rather assume room temperature!

Oh yeah! It snowed today. Not a lot but we do get all four seasons here. It's part of its charm.
What I'm trying to do is make the next move in close proximity to nearly everything we need. If I make it to 75 or 80 (and that's indeed questionable!) I personally do not want to be traveling the kinds of distances that you are traveling now. It's not only driving time, it's expense as well, and wear and tear on the car. I know I'm being somewhat overconcerned about this, but I want another move to be really, really convenient to things. And that's a tall order in city-suburban locales in America. Everything is set up to DRIVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement