U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 03:11 PM

605 posts, read 556,658 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Haven't Posted here in a while, so enjoyed your caring responses and enjoyed responding to your
Threads.
It seems I withdrew after my DH transitioned to Heaven in February 2013, especially caring folks like yourselves. Life has been an adjustment of being single again after 41 some years of married life.

Youngest DS, his wife gave me a jigsaw puzzle with a brochure for a hearing center. "Why didn't you just tell me?" I asked. We did ! LOL Anyway, went to the hearing doc, he said 60% in one ear, 50% in the other ear. I hear just fine, I replied. He put aids in my ears and Oh! the noise. He also informed me I
may possibly have inherited the loss, through my maternal side. As I have sons, it has ceased with me
passing it on.

Wind---did you know it has a sound and rain can sound like hail? Everything is magnified and that is only at 70% of hearing. Thankful for modern technology to diagnose the situation as well as current aids.

So! Didn't know where to Post this, so being a senior, having chatted with you caring folk And maybe this
will help you decide to take action if you have been sitting on the fence post about something in your life!
Also, if you want something to do, Listen to, enjoy the Sounds around you. Folks who have cataract surgery are also surprised what they now see. Look, Listen, Smile, enjoy life !

Blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 03:36 PM

13,889 posts, read 25,327,549 times
Congratulations on getting your hearing back!

Old 02-06-2015, 03:42 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
My brother, who's been in a number a bands (as a drummer) already has devices and he has not hit 50 yet.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:43 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
If you play in a band, you need ear plugs! Or you'll get deaf quick.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
If you play in a band, you need ear plugs! Or you'll get deaf quick.
That is pretty common today, but 30 years ago, it was less common. So now there are a lot of music people in their 40s and on up with significant hearing loss due to the Marshall stacks that were sitting behind them on the stage, and in the cases of drummers, their own instruments.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:49 PM

2,634 posts, read 1,122,614 times
My Mom is 82 and has hearing aids. I wonder why she spent the money because I never see her wearing them. I recently asked her why and her comeback was, "I can't wear them all the time." I felt she could have used the money to buy food, pay bills or on something more beneficial. What I really dislike when I visit her is that the TV is on too loud.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:08 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,190,846 times
I just got hearing aids today. What a difference! My hearing loss isn't severe but I was having problems distinguishing voices when many people were talking at once. The first thing I did when I turned on the TV tonight was lower the volume.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:17 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times
I've known for several years I have inherited hearing loss. I even tried aids about 10 years ago but the background noises drove me crazy.
My problem is I don't know which brand to by. I'm paranoid about losing money and they are really expensive. i find I'm isolating myself cause i just can't hear folks across the table or even movies.

as far as TV sound--get some TV ears. They make all the difference in the world.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:52 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've known for several years I have inherited hearing loss. I even tried aids about 10 years ago but the background noises drove me crazy.
My problem is I don't know which brand to by. I'm paranoid about losing money and they are really expensive. i find I'm isolating myself cause i just can't hear folks across the table or even movies.
Do you shop Costco? If so, and if the one in Durham isn't too far from you, I can HIGHLY recommend Costco hearing aid centers and their Kirkland brand aids, about 1/2 the cost of brand-name aids. True to Costco standards, they have a generous 90-day trial period. If you return them within that window, there is ZERO cost.

I've worn hearing aids since 1984 and have dealt with a number of audiology centers, including a university-affiliated clinic. Costco beats them all.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:11 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times
Thanks biscuitmom. I guess they have audiologist on staff as I haven't been tested in about 4 years. I'll call next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or