U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 04:25 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,571,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Yes, that's exactly the situation here in TX.

Sounds like a good find!
One drawback I've seen with 95% of non-age-restricted apartments and condos is that they invariably have stairs, something not every elderly (> than 75 y.o.) person can handle.
Mom is actually moving FROM Texas. She moved into a 55+ apartment community south of Austin in the summer of 2013. She got in pre-construction, so was able to get a large, market-rate unit. I understand there is a waiting list for her unit now. She just needs to be closer either to my brother or me now. My brother is IN Austin, but with all the traffic, it's easily an hour from his house to hers. When she moves up here near us, the much smaller city will make it easier on her and us. We're just minutes away.

The issue of stairs -- inside or outside the unit -- was a big one. We found several one-level units in different complexes that could have worked, but the siting was such that there was a substantial walk -- with steps -- to the parking areas. The building we chose is newer, and luxury minded. It's three stories with two elevators. The unit we found for mom is on the third floor (which gives it a bit of a mountain view off the balcony, which is nice), but just steps away from an elevator and the trash/recycling chutes. Once the elevator opens on the first floor, it's steps to the exit out to the parking area. While it's the smallest floor plan in the building, the location within the building is ideal. We looked at several units in the building and thought this one met her needs the best.

The lease is for a year. That will give us sufficient time to see how it is working for her, and to make alternate plans if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:14 AM

5,784 posts, read 4,838,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
When looking for a place for my mom (75, sharp as a tack, but a very bad back, and quite weak), I learned that there is a big donut hole in the senior independent living offerings. There are many options at the top of the market, for rents of about $4,000 per month. These usually provided two meals per day and a roster of activities, with much of any additional needs being priced a la carte.

At the other end were senior apartment complexes where only a handful of units were "market rate" and the rest were subsidized and had an income cap of something like 21K per year. The market rate units all had very long waiting lists. These communities didn't offer dining, but did have activities and were knit into the general senior community in the city.

Unfortunately, mom didn't have anywhere near the money to live in the first option. She would have blown through her assets in about three years. But she had too much income (just SS, a spousal pension, and some mandatory IRA withdrawals totaling about $2,500 per month) to qualify for anything but the market rate units at the other communities. We had to look at other solutions.

Housing is a challenge for that senior who has an income of 25K-75K. It's not enough income to entice those facilities in it for the profit, and it's too much income for those facilities with government funding for low-income tenant. It's left to the senior and the families to work out the best options.
We had the same experience with IL facilities in California. Everything that wasn't subsidized was over $3500. We moved to TN 2 years ago and it is SO MUCH CHEAPER here. We found MIL a nice IL for $2400/month, and recently had to move her to an ALF at only $2850 month! A real bargain and it's 10 minutes from our home. Her income was about $200/month too high for any subsidies.

For anyone looking that is a WWII veteran or the surviving spouse of a WWII vet, there is a benefit program that will often pay a benefit of up to $1050 for those who are in AL. We recently applied for this program, Veteran's Aid and Attendance, for the MIL. We are awaiting the VA response to her app.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:06 PM

184 posts, read 218,594 times
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. The independent facilities I am looking at are all private pay and they are like condos you rent with services, many of which I pay for now, yard maintenance, snow removal (not in Texas) plumbing/appliance repairs. From what I have heard and seen, they do the cleaning like a hotel, in and out in an hour or less, taxi, food prep (restaurants, delivery, or prep/delivery club which I use now, good food I cook). I Maybe they are too new for many people to be into them, minimum age is 55 though for most. They have truly been around about a decade and there are several organizations you can contact (google them, independent living, I don't think I am allowed to post a link). Many of the independent living facilities are an "age in place" type thing, independent, then assisted, then Alzheimer care if you need it, then hospice either at the facility, or with a sister agency.

I won't go if I can't afford it, but most are quoting that in between price of 2500 to 3000 $$. More than just a retirement community rental and less than an assisted living facility. And I can sign a lease, up to 3 years in most places (which locks in that price) and then leave if I want to, or try a new place, so more independent than assisted. It is not the image of the kids putting people in old folks homes where they can't leave. My mom is in her 70s and still lives in a house, so this is a new concept that the kid is putting herself in one. It is a joke between us that I tell the sales teams when they ask if I am considering them for my parent or loved one in their facility and I tell them no, she is putting me in.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:24 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times
My only experience with IL was when we visited my mom who was in an ALF owned by a company that ran an IL next door to the ALF. We were allowed to stay in the IL in a vacant room for a minimum fee. What I noticed was that residents seemed to be very social with each other, and the ages were all over the place. I believe I noticed people who were in their sixties. It seemed that residents retained their vehicles, but that there were outings which they attended together, perhaps on a bus.

I also noticed that I didn't like the apartment very much! I didn't care for the kitchen, and the balconies overlooked the parking lot! However the facility itself looked very cheerful. The breakfasts were of average quality or below.

I think the right IL would be great for someone looking for a safe and pleasant place to live. Safety is one major reason for choosing IL, IMO. However, I know nothing about how you enter one. I'd certainly read all the fine print.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:56 AM

5,784 posts, read 4,838,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My only experience with IL was when we visited my mom who was in an ALF owned by a company that ran an IL next door to the ALF. We were allowed to stay in the IL in a vacant room for a minimum fee. What I noticed was that residents seemed to be very social with each other, and the ages were all over the place. I believe I noticed people who were in their sixties. It seemed that residents retained their vehicles, but that there were outings which they attended together, perhaps on a bus.

I also noticed that I didn't like the apartment very much! I didn't care for the kitchen, and the balconies overlooked the parking lot! However the facility itself looked very cheerful. The breakfasts were of average quality or below.

I think the right IL would be great for someone looking for a safe and pleasant place to live. Safety is one major reason for choosing IL, IMO. However, I know nothing about how you enter one. I'd certainly read all the fine print.
That's a pretty accurate description of the IL facilities where my MIL has lived (2 of them) and others that we looked into. However, while many people still had their cars, many of those shouldn't have been driving, but that's a whole different thread!

MY MIL wanted to move to that environment specifically because she wanted more personal interaction with others, so she moved from our home into IL. Personally I can't see myself in that sort of environment until it is unsafe for me to live alone. I am way TOO independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or