Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 02:06 PM

554 posts, read 745,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Great point! I may have jumped too far ahead in our plans, but my retirement date has moved +1 or 2 years to ensure financial stability, so that's why I'm a little further ahead of myself. FYI- I can assure you, I am remaining the consumate professional, I deal with college students and their safety and I still take that mission as seriously today as the day I started. It's just my motivation to get up and jump into the rat race every day, is getting weaker and weaker.
OH-EMM-GEE!
Maybe that's why I've become a more disengaged with all the "program changes" in my department, too! In the last year (or so), DW & I have been more-actively involved in our planning for future (2-4 years) retirement. Maybe we're over-planning!

Admittedly, since we began actively doing this, I've noticed a little-less motivation to be more-involved in the growth of the department I work in. I've always written that off to being a contractor, and not really being very emotionally involved in the outcomes of certain policies and procedures.
But ... Maybe my reduced level of motivation is really due to being distracted by the possibilities of our future! I can finally see the end of the tunnel, and it's looking pretty-danged-good to me ... said the moth to th' flame!
YMMV, right? ... TC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Not retiring too soon but....

I like my co-workers so I would be busy preparing to transition, documenting how to do things and so forth.

My last job a while back was miserable and the bosses were frankly evil a-holes committing fraud so I struggled to be professional on the way out instead of completely bailing on them but my immediate boss was a good guy so I did the best I could.

P.S. I'm 45 and home 10-12 years and I'm out.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:54 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,741 times
Quote:
I feel like I'm just keeping the seat warm
Yes, I'm there and I actually find it a wonderful feeling because I know transition is in the picture - finally. I have eleven months until I retire with full pension so I am keeping busy with regular tasks and preparing everything for whoever my successor might be. The only thing I haven't done yet is tell my boss but that will probably happen in the next few weeks and then it will be REAL and the days will fly.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Did any of you go the same thing? How did you get through your home stretch?
For me, it is the last milestone in life...retirement. I'm not to anxious because there is nothing left after that, save one or two decade birthdays. We start young with a whole list of big things to plan and look forward too, HS graduation, college starting, 21st birthday, graduating, first job, turning 30. marriage, turning 40, kids, silver and gold anniversaries, turning 50, grand kids,turning 60, retirement, death. All the ones that matter will then be checked off, and I can wait.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
I just asked my husband if I was sleep walking last night and got on the computer, because I absolutely could have written your post to the letter! I too have 2 1/2 years to go and am in your same situation with workload, management, etc. Just ticking off the days. I'm trying to stay in the moment as much as possible, but it sure is hard. Looking forward to reading other's suggestions.
Like always if you can't box off work and your life outside then you can't box off work and retirement planning.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:43 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Wow, similar situation. I am looking to retire in 3-5 years. I look at the spreadsheet I put together and keep reminding myself that every extra year I work the next 3 years adds $5k to my pension and every year after that adds $4k.

One thing that will happening here is that two of my peers and my boss will be retiring by next December (2016). Then I will be the person in the department with the most knowledge. I very much enjoy working with them. I'm hoping suitable replacements will be found. I think my boss wants me to takeover, but not sure I want to do that. I also concerned that the decision makers who oversee don't have knowledge of what we do and will make decisions that are not in the interest of our department.

It will be interesting the next few years.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:11 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
I just retired but did it on a "phase out" kinda schedule....I saved up my leave (max was 240 hours carry over on 1st of each year being Civil Service) and started by requesting/getting a 10 hour work day schedule, having each Tuesday off and working 10 hours Mon-Wed-Thur-Fri. Then, as I got to the last year, I started taking 1 additional day each week off to make it 30 hours per week. Could not do it EVERY week, but found it helped a lot to at least 1 time per month.

Have been retired 2 months yesterday and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!! I think as much as you love what you are doing, when the time comes to retire, you KNOW it and so look forward to it without setting little "goals" it is hard to wait. Congrats on being ready, and having done everything you need to do to be able to look FORWARD to your retirement....I can not tell you how many friends I watch set "dates" only to continuously have to adjust those dates, not because they wanted to, but because financially they HAD to.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:17 AM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
same here , just working part time until i stop end of july. already running on the retirement plan as we need to supplement the earned income at this point with both of us working part time.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:21 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
The last year before retirement seemed endless. I could not concentrate at work. I spent a great deal of time on the internet planning my travel and other retirement issues. One amazing thing happened at work. My boss thought I was doing an outstanding job and told me so. Before when I actually cared, I would bring up ideas other than what my boss wanted. When I just coasted through and never bothered to bring up ideas, my boss was pleased. It is a lesson I should have learned a long time back in my career. If you are a subordinate, it helps if you are none too smart and just go along with every dumb idea from upper management.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:43 AM

292 posts, read 357,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I decided to retire earlier that originally planned partially on circumstances and significantly on something Garrison Keillor said during a presentation my wife and I attended. The following work day I gave six month's notice to my employer.
I'm curious what Garrison Keillor said. I'm in the situation of still loving the work I do, but absolutely hating the job environment that has evolved. I'm hoping to find inspiration, either to retire or to shift focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement