U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:14 PM

18,121 posts, read 22,978,628 times

Advertisements

What about selling things online? Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, Etsy - lots of places to sell things mail-order from your own home. Then, you can get out and socialize when and where you want to, if one of your reasons to get a job is to get out of the house, for instance. Make some money selling stuff online and volunteer for fun.

I've found the best way to make money in retirement, is to spend less. I am the queen of rewards programs and cash back websites, too. I rarely make a purchase, where I don't get some kind of reward points that translate into a percentage off my purchases.

I've always loved bargain hunting, so I don't mind squeezing a dollar. But, anyway, if you can curb your spending, and augment your income by selling stuff online if that interests you at all, then if you can't find a PT job you want, you'll still be doing fine.

I'll share one little tidbit - you can buy discounted gift cards online. So, I buy these for stores I frequent, like Walmart. Then, I click through a website that pays me a percentage of my purchase in rewards, that I can turn into cash eventually, and click from there to the Walmart store. Then, I order what I want on the Walmart website to be picked up in store (I don't always do this for everything, but I do this often). Then, I pay for it with the gift card, which gave me a 5% discount or so. The website I clicked from also paid me 2%. So, 7% off, which pretty much covers the tax on my purchase (7.5% here).

Some discounted gift cards have pretty hefty discounts. For instance, I buy crafting things from Michaels, and I can find Michaels gift cards online discounted as much as 25%!

When I am not using a gift card, I use my PayPal debit card which pays me 1.5% cashback on all my purchases. Last month, this added up to almost $10. This translates to about half of my phone bill ($20/month plus taxes for my dumb phone through Verizon).

I also click around on the internet through websites that pay you to click around. It's not much money, but if I'm online anyway, like right now, I'll pause every now and then and click on my other window that's open. Those clicks turn into gift cards, and it's usually enough to pay for my gas for the month.

Anyway, I enjoy my little money saving tricks, so it's fun for me. You may not find this kind of thing "fun" at all LOL!

But, if you could find things to sell online, that would be a sweet gig. I used to sell books on Amazon, for instance. I don't have space now for a lot of books. But, I dedicated a bedroom to shelving for books at one point, and I would pick up cheap books here and there at garage sales and library sales, and put them all up for sale on Amazon. Then, I'd randomly get orders here and there. I didn't get rich, but it was a nice side income.

FWIW.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 02-08-2015 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:04 PM

6,586 posts, read 3,674,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I work for a county in So. Cal. right now and will be moving out of the area, so a part time job with the same employer isn't an option. I realize it will depend upon the area but I wanted to hear about people's experiences...
Your experience and skills would probably transfer easily to a part-time position in a city or county government. I worked 7 years as a part-time planner for a small city after retiring from a state planning and research job. The city job was really just pocket money - I didn't qualify for health or other benefits but I had that already from retirement. They were happy have me and I set some conditions which they met and I pretty much set my own hours within limits and according to deadlines. I actually enjoyed that job more than the last couple years before retirement.

I had the opportunity to work as a part-time contractor with the state after I retired but passed that up because it would have been full-time work on part-time pay with the same problems and people.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:47 PM

1,522 posts, read 976,941 times
FYI, I am not in a union, I am "unrepresented". If I decide to get early retiree health coverage via the County, I will have to pay the entire amount and the rates are substantially higher that the regular active employee rates. It probably would be cheaper to go through one of the ACA (Affordable Care Act) plans.

I think it would be better to work 6-8 months a year rather than 20-30 hours year round so we can spend the time off travelling...

I have seen some great ideas so far...

Old 02-09-2015, 02:36 AM

13,890 posts, read 25,335,938 times
Make sure you actually price that ACA coverage. It is very expensive for older people unless your income is low enough to get a lot of subsidy.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:34 AM

477 posts, read 399,390 times
Honestly I think you would be best served to just work the additional 4 years. I just don't see any upside to quitting now and then having to work 25 to 30 hours a week to pay for health insurance.

Sure, a job for 6 or 8 months would be nice - but realistically, you're not likely to find such a job that would be willing to hire you. And I cannot help but think that you're going to end up taking a big paycut. And we're not talking about something to get you a little pocket money - we're talking about NEEDING a part time job to get by.

After retirement? Sure, when you don't have to rely on the income. But quitting early and then trying to find something that'll pay you enough and not be too hard on you physically? Assuming you can get past the whole issue of age discrimination?

I wouldn't do it. YMMV.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:04 PM

104 posts, read 47,788 times
My attempts to find a job, either part or full time since losing my job in August of 2012 have been largely unsuccessful. I searched for a job but didn't work at all from Sept 2012 to December. I Kept looking for full time in 2013 then by mid year I expanded my search to anything full or part time. Still nothing. In late 2013 I found a seasonal job through a temp agency at a warehouse shipping Internet orders. I worked 50+ hours a week through year end standing on concrete up to 10hrs a day. But hey, it was employment and money coming in. In 2014 the only work I could get was that same temp agency job working some 200 hours through June 2014. In July 2014 I lucked out and found a Contract job that lasted 5 weeks and paid very well but required a huge commute to do it. I finished up 2014 at the same seasonal job working along side 24 year kids (I'm 62). Too my credit I kept up but destroyed my feet. Apparently the temp agency liked my work ethic and I was able to get more hours through the end of 2014. Still, I only saw about 600 hours of work total in 2014.

In the past, when we were still working, my wife and I discussed on numerous occasions what we would do when we finally both retired. My future retirement scribblings on paper always listed a part time job for each of us bringing in what I considered a modest amount of $200.00 each. That added to our eventual SS and IRA added up to a comforting amount. Recent experience seems to show that part time job may be a tough thing to find.

TU

Old 02-09-2015, 06:33 PM

75 posts, read 192,985 times
I just hope I can keep doing what I'm doing now, but as I get older just do less of it. Work with a few homebuyers each year as a broker and do a couple of appraisals each week for relocation companies. If I didn't work at all, I'd run out of NCIS reruns to watch real fast and would really get bored lol.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:55 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,837,275 times
Definitely depends on where you are and what you can do. I lost my full time job in 2011 and tried many, many places. Due to back problems I can't do a lot of standing or lifting, but most clerical types jobs would be fine. Probably sent out 150 resumes over the course of my unemployment and nothing. I suspect several reasons, but the main one being my age. I did finally find something that started out about 15 hours per week but only because I knew the person who owned the business and just happened to mention that I was looking for something and she was thinking about getting some help. But it gradually dwindled down to 3-4 hours per week which wasn't worth the gas to drive there, so I quit and started my SS early.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:25 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooluser View Post
My attempts to find a job, either part or full time since losing my job in August of 2012 have been largely unsuccessful. I searched for a job but didn't work at all from Sept 2012 to December. I Kept looking for full time in 2013 then by mid year I expanded my search to anything full or part time. Still nothing. In late 2013 I found a seasonal job through a temp agency at a warehouse shipping Internet orders. I worked 50+ hours a week through year end standing on concrete up to 10hrs a day. But hey, it was employment and money coming in. In 2014 the only work I could get was that same temp agency job working some 200 hours through June 2014. In July 2014 I lucked out and found a Contract job that lasted 5 weeks and paid very well but required a huge commute to do it. I finished up 2014 at the same seasonal job working along side 24 year kids (I'm 62). Too my credit I kept up but destroyed my feet. Apparently the temp agency liked my work ethic and I was able to get more hours through the end of 2014. Still, I only saw about 600 hours of work total in 2014.

In the past, when we were still working, my wife and I discussed on numerous occasions what we would do when we finally both retired. My future retirement scribblings on paper always listed a part time job for each of us bringing in what I considered a modest amount of $200.00 each. That added to our eventual SS and IRA added up to a comforting amount. Recent experience seems to show that part time job may be a tough thing to find.

TU
Congratulations on not giving up; it must have been discouraging. Your can-do spirit is an inspiration.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,843,885 times
I just read in today's paper that Home Depot is starting hiring for spring. They plan to hire 80,000 new workers in their stores nationwide. They are one company that definitely doesn't age discriminate. Part of their original business plan was to hire retired tradespeople to work in the departments to be able to give advice on products, tools, and techniques to the customers. I have a 70 year old friend who has worked there for 2 years now. You can apply online at www.careers.homedepot.com .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or