Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 02:07 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times

Advertisements

Just thinking out loud here...

I plan to retire in 4 years or so but if I decide to change plans and retire before then, it would be nice to have a part time job for a while to pay for the health insurance costs...

It would be nice to make the transition slowly from full time job. Otherwise I might find myself spending too much money!

I'm just wondering how hard it is to find a part-time job? Something where one would work 6 months a year or 20-30 hours a week...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 05:38 AM

756 posts, read 836,388 times
Not sure but from our experience it may depend on where you live and how the local economy is doing. We moved from the northeast to the South when hubby retired. We had the same idea of the part time job as well. It took him 9 months to even get considered for one and then when he gladly took it, it almost killed him- he was hired at Walgreens for the photo dept and yet they expected his 60 yr old body to run around like a 20 yr old schlepping merchandise and stocking cases up and down ladders. Not in the job description for sure but take it or leave it they said so he had to leave. It took him another few months to get another PT job- this one just as demanding but it was outside and he kept it for a bit. Not a good idea but he was stubborn :-)

Either PT job was not ideal by any means but I think it was the location- NC has high unemployment and PT jobs are snapped up quickly by anyone but especially younger people- the problem is the employer wants it ALL for meager wages and no benefits. Honestly to me the money was not worth the physical toll it took and my husband was a physically strong person!

Maybe for right now while you are still working, just save like crazy and then if you end up in the same boat you'll be okay.

Last edited by mamasplace; 02-08-2015 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: spelling and no coffee

Old 02-08-2015, 05:58 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
no one can answer that for you. i am retiring in july and as competitors hear, i am being offered all kinds of deals to work part time if i wanted.

each location , job skill and ability to have appeared on your competitors radar will influence the answer to that question.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Just thinking out loud here...

I plan to retire in 4 years or so but if I decide to change plans and retire before then, it would be nice to have a part time job for a while to pay for the health insurance costs...

It would be nice to make the transition slowly from full time job. Otherwise I might find myself spending too much money!

I'm just wondering how hard it is to find a part-time job? Something where one would work 6 months a year or 20-30 hours a week...
A six-month gig would put you logically in sales/stocking in a gardening center. You'd be outdoors at least part of the time. If your summers are really hot and humid that may not be so comfortable for you. Or, retail in a mall at holiday season, hard on the body with the standing on concrete. I'd try a seasonal pet-sitting business, people make pretty good money at it.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:40 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
I have a friend who does pet sitting. It is just as difficult as my retail work. During the busy season the pet sitter's days start at 6:00 AM and don't end until 9:00 PM with minor breaks between rounds. The pet sitters have all been bitten by dogs and cats, received scratches from cats, been jumped on by dogs, had rotator cuffs torn walking dogs that pull on the leash constantly, had to break up fights between animals, have to clean houses when pets make a mess. You need to be able to lift heavy weights in the event you walk into a home with a large pet in an emergency medical situation. For all the physical toll on the body the pay is very low.

My friend has said that she only hires people up to a certain age because after that people don't have the energy for it, and the insurance risks become too high.

It is one of those jobs that sounds easy. People tend to think all you do is pet nice gentle pets all day long, play with them and give them food and treats. The reality is much different.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:10 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I have had two PT jobs since I fully retired, both driving jobs and I liked them a lot. The first was delivering truck parts. After two years quit to relocate.
The second was a chauffeur for a golf resort where you get to drive people to and from the airport and then shuttle them around from golf course to restaurants.

The chauffeur job only last through golf season April till Nov.

I prefer driving to heavy lifting and retail.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:47 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
The obvious answer to the OP's question is "it depends". It depends on one's skill set, one's experience, one's location, the state of the economy, one's physical health, etc. Truly, there is no answer to the question of how easy it is to get a part-time job.

I wasn't even seeking a part-time job, but a former supervisor asked me back for a few special projects at the same employer - I worked full days and then some, but only for short periods of time - the longest about three weeks - a few times a year. I enjoyed it but when a change of management made it a pain I gave it up.

One thing to keep in mind - many (most?) part-time jobs do NOT come with heath benefits.

The economy, and with it the job market, has slowly gotten better over the past several years. So job seekers are better off now that at any time since the Great Recession of 2008. That is not the same as saying finding jobs is now easy, just easier than previously. And the economy, like real estate, is ultimately local.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:45 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I would look into working PT for your current employer after you retire as a first option. I have several retired friends who have found PT work with varying degrees of satisfaction. One friend, 70 y.o. female has a part-time job at Home Depot, cashiering, greeting, and plant department. She likes the work, but they are always wanting her to work more hours than she really wants to. She currently works about 30 hrs or more per week and often has to report by 6 am or work until 10 pm.

Another works as a bartender at the local VFW. He is about 62 and he loves his job, and the hours are great if you don't want to sit around and watch TV at night.

On the other hand, my 65 y.o. friend was forced out her job as an on-line trainer for a nursing software program. She had real trouble finding a new job as an RN who had done mostly administrative type nursing work for the last 20 years. She was finally hired as a phone triage nurse for a company serving multiple medical insurance providers. After traveling for a three week training program, she completed the course, and as soon as the certificates were awarded she was called aside and was told "her services would not be needed". She said the course was very easy for her and she felt that the work would have been no problem at all. Still she was told that she "was not a good fit" for the job. Basically fired for no reason. She did say that she was by far the oldest and most experienced person in the class.

Another lady, about 67-ish, who lives near us got a job at Chick-Fil-A. She works as a "dining room hostess". Really she just checks in with guests to see if they need anything and she delivers their orders to their table. She loves her jobs and they work with her on her hours.

I guess it just really depends on skills and what you're looking for. There are definitely some companies that age-discriminate, and others that don't.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 AM

277 posts, read 519,101 times
It is impossible to get any kind of work once you turn 60 - I am 66 now and my health doesn't allow me to do anything anymore - lost my job in 2012 and really thought I had a chance to get a part-time clerical job - how hard could that be? Well they are not hiring people my age no matter how experienced or how good you are ... doesn't matter ... I gave up finally about 6 months ago ... just waiting to die.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg0720 View Post
It is impossible to get any kind of work once you turn 60 - I am 66 now and my health doesn't allow me to do anything anymore - lost my job in 2012 and really thought I had a chance to get a part-time clerical job - how hard could that be? Well they are not hiring people my age no matter how experienced or how good you are ... doesn't matter ... I gave up finally about 6 months ago ... just waiting to die.
How about low-impact volunteer work with a church group or a homeless shelter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement