U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:56 AM

5,911 posts, read 6,714,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
...He wants to stay in NYS, but I'm thinking of someplace warmer, although I can't tolerate the heat and humidity. Any stories out there? Thanks.
I would strongly advise you to do your own homework. Don't completely rely on what people tell you, or what you "think" the case might be.

For example, I too hate heat and humidity. However, I recently moved from Central NY to Eastern Tennessee. At this elevation temps are about the same, on average, but the extremes are a lot less here in TN. Humidity? Lower here in this part of TN than in central NY. Who knew until you look up the data?

It's not for everyone. I miss snow and winter, but my wife is VERY happy not to see snow flakes. Long spring and fall, but still four seasons. Winter is short...little snow until you get to the highest elevations....sun warms it up to "nice" just about every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 AM

446 posts, read 571,454 times
I used to live in Sullivan county. While it was breathtakingly beautiful in the summer and gardens were bountiful, winter was long, harsh and lonely. So no, i would never consider retiring there.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:25 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Has anyone retired to upstate NY? Why? Do you plan on staying in NYS? What area in NYS did you retire too? We live in NYS now and in a few years my husband can retire (I already did). He wants to stay in NYS, but I'm thinking of someplace warmer, although I can't tolerate the heat and humidity. Any stories out there? Thanks.
My brother retired to one of those small towns just south and east of the Finger Lakes region. He lived and worked in NYC for years, and bought a historic house there, and has spent most of his time working on that house. He loves it, loves the area, and I don't think he wants to move, but dang, now he wants to come down to Florida and spend the winters with me and DH.....

Old 02-09-2015, 02:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
We have lived in Mid Hudson Valley at the southern boundary of upstate NY for the last 23 years. The winter has become much harsher in the last 5 years or so with frequent snow storms and many polar-vortex driven bitterly cold days.

It's a relief that heating oil prices are lower this year. We closed off 2 unused bedrooms and put insulating panels on windows at night. We added extra insulation layer in the attic when we first moved in & our thermostat settings are 68F for day time and 55F night time. Our heating oil consumption is something like 3 gallons/day during the winter month so even with curent cheap price at $2.60/gallons, it costs close to $250/month for heating bill.

Yesterday, in preparation for another big snow storm, we spent most of the day trying to clear about 2.5 feet of hard-packed snow off the roof. My sister gave us a roof snow rake which is quite heavy and awkward to operate. My husband used it to clear about 1/3 snow off the roof the main house. It was very slow and tedious. I climbed on the roof to clear snow off the vent, and decided to shovel the snow off the house addition which is our bedroom. It was much quicker but I had to be extremely cautious.

I just can not see us doing the same thing for the next 5 years let alone the rest of our life!

We really enjoy living in our current home with river, lake, mountain nearby in a home with acreage adjacent to 60 acres of woodland. There are so many outdoor activities to do in spring, summer and fall. We are not into snow shoeing or cross country skiing so snow shoveling is only outdoor activity that we can do in the winter. As we get older, snow shoveling becomes more unsafe especially with the danger of tripping/falling on icy driveway and steps let alone falling off the roof.

So the bottom line is that we are looking to relocate when I retire to escape the high taxes, high cost of living and harsh winter in NY.

Bella, as I read this, the old man is out there raking snow off the roof. Ice dams can cause serious damage to the interior. He's also been out there twice today already, clearing snow. While he seems invigorated by it all, I am not in the least. High taxes and winter are what is making me want to leave. Yes, we have the grandkids here, but every day now I'm rationalizing how they can visit us and we can visit them if we leave. It's a pipe dream for me, the other challenge being where. Keep us posted on where you're thinking of moving.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:55 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Not sure why anyone would do Upstate NY, when the same climate, physically, and lower taxes is available in New Hampshire.

Of course, why anyone would put up with Northeastern winters during retirement is beyond me anyway.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not sure why anyone would do Upstate NY, when the same climate, physically, and lower taxes is available in New Hampshire.

Of course, why anyone would put up with Northeastern winters during retirement is beyond me anyway.
No sales tax in NH, but property tax to knock your socks off. Yes to your second sentence.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:23 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,224,815 times
I grew up in mid-state NY, and while I love NY, I would never be able to move back there because of the property taxes. Also, and I know this is a generalization so maybe not true everywhere- most of the money flows to NYC leaving many rural areas wanting for state funds. Again, please don't slam me, but this is my overall impression.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:31 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,328,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

You haven't checked the property taxes in NH have you?

As for winter, some people like to do things like ski, snowmobile, snowshoe, ice fish, ice skate, etc.

I also don't think that anyone from eastern Washington ought to cast any stones about other people's choice of retirement places.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:36 PM

2,038 posts, read 1,947,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
We took a look at a couple of places in New York State before deciding to retire in California. We looked at the Rochester and Poughkeepsie areas. Though the income tax situation is favorable in New York state regarding pension income, the property taxes and utilities (especially heat) were downright breathtakingly high.

Didn't make the move there, so I can't state more than that.
How high are the prop taxes? About 3-4% of value?

Old 02-09-2015, 09:10 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,058,318 times
and New Hampshire has no income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or