U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:51 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,373,616 times

Advertisements

I am now retired in southern New Hampshire but I was a child in Guilderland, NY in the 50's and early 60's. It was a nice area with good schools and plenty of places for children to get into and out of trouble. I moved to Connecticut after I got back from 'Nam and eventually worked in Boston and lived in NH.

IIRC the winters where I grew up were a lot like the winter we are currently having here. I figure they are about the same in Albany County. I have never contemplated retiring to NYS even though it is, upstate anyway, economically reasonable and really, really pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,231,465 times
I live on the border of NYS and PA but work in NY (Corning). I don't know if that's what is meant by upstate NY but pretty much anything outside of NYC is usually considered upstate. Part of the reason we chose PA over NY is the taxes are less, the home prices are less and the commute is only 16 miles a day.
As we age the weather seems to get more intolerable. Summers can be brutally hot and humid while winters can be bitter cold. There can be a variance in temperatures of 120 degrees between summer and winter. I'm not sure how many areas can boast that accomplishment or would want to.
We too are thinking of relocating when we retire but couldn't abide the heat in the south or the interminable length of winter further north, it's long enough already. If anyone knows of an ideal, temperate, modesty priced area to retire to, please advise.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:36 PM

7,801 posts, read 4,387,974 times
A travel trailer? I can't decide on a retirement destination, either, so I've decided to buy and travel in one for a couple of years before settling anywhere. Heck, I might love it and never!

Old 02-12-2015, 03:43 PM

12 posts, read 12,720 times
Default Upstate NY

We grew up in upstate NY and have since lived in New England and out west. For many years we would visit the Rochester area during the summers and always commented that it would be a great place to retire if someone does not mind long winters. (Snow removal is handled very efficiently compared to New England, and people are able to be out and about quickly after a snow storm. We found all business parking lots were down to bare pavement a day after a heavy snowfall.) Taxes are high, but vary considerably depending on what county one resides in. However, you get great services for the taxes you pay. The people are very friendly and laid back, overall. They even speak slower than New Englanders. We always noted how much more polite customer service people seemed in Rochester. And of course, you have the fabulous Wegmans, the best grocery store in the USA!

Old 02-12-2015, 05:34 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,328,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I live on the border of NYS and PA but work in NY (Corning). I don't know if that's what is meant by upstate NY but pretty much anything outside of NYC is usually considered upstate. Part of the reason we chose PA over NY is the taxes are less, the home prices are less and the commute is only 16 miles a day.
As we age the weather seems to get more intolerable. Summers can be brutally hot and humid while winters can be bitter cold. There can be a variance in temperatures of 120 degrees between summer and winter. I'm not sure how many areas can boast that accomplishment or would want to.
We too are thinking of relocating when we retire but couldn't abide the heat in the south or the interminable length of winter further north, it's long enough already. If anyone knows of an ideal, temperate, modesty priced area to retire to, please advise.
I have this same issue with heat. I love the winters in South Carolina but I couldn't do the summer heat there. I couldn't do the heat (and humidity) along any of the East Coast until I got at least to Maine. Portland, ME seems like a nice city with a fairly mild climate for being so far north.

You might want to check out East Tennessee or western Virginia. Neither is as hot nor as crowded as closer to the coast.

Ps I live 10 miles north of the PA border in Jamestown, NY. Lake Erie keeps us a lot cooler in the summer and warmer longer into December and sometimes all winter (not this one, though) than Corning. We usually get a lot more snow, though.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:22 AM

People long for summer here (the south), but I'd much rather be cozily snuggled next to a wood fire, wrapped in blankets and drinking a Hot Toddy, that entombed in a dark house in the middle of summer with a freezing-cold a/c (it never feels natural) because the heat and humidity is unbearable for nine months out of the year. I suppose if all you ever do is sit on the couch and watch TV, it's fine, but otherwise, give me either the "dry cool" or the ocean.

The 55+ community -- or, really, any condo -- where others deal with the snow removal sounds ideal!

Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,328,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
People long for summer here (the south), but I'd much rather be cozily snuggled next to a wood fire, wrapped in blankets and drinking a Hot Toddy, that entombed in a dark house in the middle of summer with a freezing-cold a/c (it never feels natural) because the heat and humidity is unbearable for nine months out of the year. I suppose if all you ever do is sit on the couch and watch TV, it's fine, but otherwise, give me either the "dry cool" or the ocean.

The 55+ community -- or, really, any condo -- where others deal with the snow removal sounds ideal!
Yeah, I could not stand to be couped up in the A/C with the sun shining, which will be my fate for 1 more summer of work.

Right now, I have a house and a dog (and a collection of cats), so I'm outside every day despite the weather. I figure, that's okay because winter is finite, and getting out with the dog keeps me active especially in the winter when I'd be likely to hibernate.

BTW, for any retiree who's looking to bond into a new community, if you have a dog, get the pooch out on the end of a leash and head for local parks until you find either the local dog park or the local park frequented by dog walkers. Even if you just walk your dog around the neighborhood, you'll probably run into "dog people". Having a dog is like having a child: people with either clump together.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:57 AM

Winter versus summer: you can always put ON more clothing; you can't always take OFF more clothing! So true about the dog... Goodwill ambassador. Especially if a shelter rescue and especially if cute-ugly.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:02 PM

4,432 posts, read 2,611,082 times
I already posted here, Country Karen, but I finally found my answer to another post in the retirement secition in which I answered: THis is what I said:

We live in the SOuthern Tier of Upstate NY currently. WHY?
Weather:
We DO have winter and snow. Decent snow removal rates.
BUt
: we don't live so close to the ocean that it is "reclaiming" our property
:we don't get many ice storms damaging power lines and such
:we don't really get tornados of mass destruction
:we don't get the brunt of hurricanes or tsunamis {sometimes backlash flooding but not bad}
:We don't get earthquakes of mass destruction
:we don't get sink holes
:we don't suffer in summer heat
:we don't have a volcano erupting spewing and contaminating the air with "vog"
: we DO get some flooding, lately the river has given us a 100 year or 500 year problem, BUT, we live high and dry. ANd perhaps for the next 100 years no flooding?

~Economy/COL:lacks, but is liveable and affordable compared to other areas in the USA.
~Housing: reasonable to rent, Senior housing {based on % of income} is plentifull and reasonable. Ownership is reasonable with homes of all price levels from $40k-60K "average" low end 2-3 brs800Sqft-1300sqft, to $125k-$150k for "average" high end 3 or 4+ Brs 1200sqft-1800sqft.
~Transportation: there is an extensive bus system in most counties, but lacking in a few.
~Shopping: what do you want to buy? We have most major chains and have 2 Walmarts and a Sams Club. ~WHat you can't buy here, nowadays, you can order online.
~Education: should you decide to go/go back, there is a university and a community college here.
~Land: there is plenty and lots of farms too for "picutresque countryside", or for building your "dream home"
~Services: again, what do you want? we have about everything including a SS office, employment center, State offices, County offices, etc.
~Security: State, local, city/town police departments readily available with enhanced 911, good county jail, and strong State prison {nearby}. Lower crime rate. Safe to walk most streets at night, very few "sketchy" and no slum/really bad neighborhoods. You can park your car streetside, and it will still be there, and whole, the next morning.
~Healthcare: SEVERAL hospitals, almost all specializations, if not, near to upstate/downstate {NYC} centers if not. Nursing homes, Assisted Living centers etc.
~Other: Senior services. Low incomer services. Senior centers.
~What more could you want {besides year round sunshine? }

Old 02-13-2015, 10:14 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,429,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Can you please elaborate?

I went to grad school in Rochester. Always loved being there - it was a gorgeous town! I understand it has changed a lot. Every so often I think about the area as a retirement destination. Not necessarily Rochester proper, one of the outlying small towns.

Can you tell us some of the reasons why moving away turned out, in retrospect, to have been less favorable than staying might have been?

As you can see, I'm looking to firm up my resolve to return, lol! Thanks in advance - Jane
I should have added: what people mean by "upstate" generally depends on where they're from.

I don't know much about Rochester and that part of the state. While I'm originally from "the 914" (and loved it), the area I mentioned to the OP was Otsego County. I've never been 100% in-tune with small towns, but one I'd highly recommend is Cooperstown. It has a really nice "community" feel to it, good people, and ideal for people of all ages.

If you're looking for something a little larger, and with more things to do, I'd say Oneonta; and if you want a more country setting, Cherry Valley is nice.

It's kinda difficult to explain, but the main problem with moving has been lifestyle differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or