U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 03:34 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,445,460 times

Advertisements

When I first retired at age 47 from being a parking director at a university, I had NIGHTMARES of being at work for about 5 years. I should have gone to a shrink! Every now and then I have a nightmare about it and it is just as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 04:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
Nope. But I do still have "college" dreams - you know the ones I mean, the ones where its the end of the quarter and you suddenly realize you have a final in a couple of hours which you forgot you had signed up for and had never attended any classes .... EEEEEEEEE!
LOL, I have those dreams too, guess I alternate those with my work and old house dreams. I'm either in the middle of a semester, know I have a full course load but I'm not sure what classes I am signed up for, I haven't gone to any of the classes, don't even know my way around the campus, and haven't cracked any of the books or done the assignments. As in your dreams, either midterms or finals are coming and I'm wondering how I'm going to get through these classes, whatever they may be. The funny thing is that I always wonder why I am there, I know I already have a bachelors and masters' degree and know I managed to get through those.

And sometimes I dream, for some reason, that I'm back in high school and almost ready to graduate. I think in those dreams I'm the age I am now and wonder how if the other students and teachers noticed that I was lots older than the other students.

Always glad to wake up!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:35 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,065,022 times
I didn't have work dreams when I first retired (not that long ago) but the past few months I've had a couple. They were very weird and when I woke up I laughed about them!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:52 PM

104 posts, read 47,803 times
Wow! I have those dreams too! Basically retired since 2012. Typically I am at my last job and I am busily working away and suddenly come to realize that I don't work there anymore. Then I try to slip out before anyone sees me...
I even dream of a job I had in a machine shop from 1978 to 2002. In the dream my old work area is intact and I am working away when I realize it's way too quiet. I look out of the room and the building is dark and deserted and cluttered like a warehouse. Then I remember that I don't work there anymore. I try to leave but can't find my way to the door. (funny, It actually is a warehouse these days).

The one where I am in school I have quite often too. In that one I am heading to class and I don't remember what class it is, where it is, or what room it's in. I can't find my locker. I hurry up and down the halls knowing I am late. Very distressing. Glad to wake up from those.

I'm glad I'm not alone.

TU

Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 PM

6,128 posts, read 9,091,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
Nope. But I do still have "college" dreams - you know the ones I mean, the ones where its the end of the quarter and you suddenly realize you have a final in a couple of hours which you forgot you had signed up for and had never attended any classes .... EEEEEEEEE!
I have that exact same dream and it disturbs me every time it happens. To make it worse, I cannot find the classroom or even the building that it's in and it is the final exam, and I have not been to the class ever. In one of the dreams, I attempt to read the whole entire textbook one hour before the exam, but it doesn't matter, cause I can't find the room.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:57 PM

6,322 posts, read 3,581,874 times
I can't recall ever having work dreams but I have plenty of college dreams. I don't know where the class is being held or I can't find my books. It's always just like everyone else's here - somehow I am unprepared.

I've had more than a few wedding dreams, too. Just as the organ strikes up the "Bridal March" I look down and see that while I am decked out in a veil, good shoes, a lace bodice and flowers the only thing I am wearing otherwise is a pair of cut-off jeans.

I wonder why I don't have work dreams because I am certain there were times that I felt some anxiety about my performance. I'm glad I don't!

Old 02-09-2015, 05:59 PM

526 posts, read 742,155 times
posted this somewhere before: I've had a dream (same one several times) where I forgot to do a monthly report that would cost agency Fed money & be a HUGE PROBLEM. I think In my dream I came up with solution, but not how to get out of the humiliation of forgetting. The relief when I semi-woke up & realized I was retired was soooo wonderful

Old 02-09-2015, 10:07 PM

21,905 posts, read 14,406,502 times
I don't dream that much. But early on after I retired, I dreamed about working as a part timer at my old job, in various "settings" which were not realistic at all. Many of the dreams seemed to say to me that my old job had changed, or its location had changed, or I decided in my dream I didn't want to work part time after all.

I haven't had one of those dreams in several years. I hadn't even thought of them until I saw this query.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:20 PM

39,553 posts, read 47,780,182 times
Never had work dreams after retiring, my dreams are always concentrated on a sandy beach in Hawaii sipping a mai-tai. Wife get's upset as she never seems to be in those dreams.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:45 AM

359 posts, read 318,415 times
Retired five months ago. My nightmares were those last few months making that 100 mile daily commute in L.A. traffic; harder to endure the closer my retirement date approached.

Would always fall asleep worrying about what I'd done, or forgotten to do, at work that someone would use to stab me in the back. Couldn't wait for it all to end. Fortunately my nights are now filled with pleasant dreams; wouldn't waste my sleep dreaming of that snake pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or