U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 AM

302 posts, read 634,821 times

Advertisements

[quote=Travelassie;38372148

I also have recurrent dreams about the house we sold about two years ago to move to our retirement house. In those dreams, I wonder why we are still there, as we don't even own it anymore. The house is mostly empty, but in some of the dreams it needs numerous repairs, in others it's still half-full of my husband's junk and he's dragging his feet ( as he did in real life when we were in the process of cleaning it out to sell) about getting rid of the stuff, says he will but still dawdles over it. I worry in the dreams about the buyers showing up while we're still there, and I wonder why they aren't there already. I keep telling my husband we need to leave, that any repairs on the house are the new owner's problem now, and we have no right to still be there.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I have those dreams but I am still in "that" house. LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:53 AM

1,136 posts, read 1,438,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Probably should've posted this in the 'Paranormal' forum.

I've been retired since April 2012 but still have dreams about every week about being back at work. The dreams usually involve discussing some issue or problem with bosses and/or coworkers, and usually end with me saying something to the effect of "Well you know, I'm retired now - I really don't have to deal with this."

It's very odd - in waking life I don't miss work or regret my decision to retire at all.

How about you?
Me too, and it's been eight years.

Unfortunately I don't realize I'm retired so the stress makes it a borderline anxiety nightmare.

Happily, it's happening less and less nowadays.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,296,469 times
Been retired for 14 years. I have no dreams of the old job other then feeling like it was another life and seems divorced from what I am today.

I do have flash-backs on occasion of outstanding events in my 30 years there. The ones that stand out the most are the decisions that made the biggest difference to our bottom line. I smile when I think about it.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM

30,669 posts, read 49,416,421 times
For the most part my nightmares began diminishing soon after I retired.

I know many men who are plagued with those images for decades after retiring.

I am very fortunate. I sleep peacefully now.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 PM

648 posts, read 496,711 times
I am 63 not yet retired. However, I keep having the strangest dream every few months, at a place I used to work, for 17 years. In the dream, I sneak back in without permission past the guards. Then, after walking around, when I want to leave, I am afraid of being caught without a badge. The entire dream is me walking around being afraid of getting caught. Not scary, but very unpleasant. People I used to work with in the shop (not the office workers)are saying hi to me, without noticing I quit a long time ago.
Out of my 5 employers, that was the one I liked the least. Hopefully it stops at some point.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:17 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,463,318 times
Been retired for going on seven years. No work dreams. No college dreams. Maybe once or twice a year what my wife calls my "military night terrors" during which I flash-back. I never remember them.

But I'm probably just numb between the ears anyway.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,880,155 times
I retired in 200 and every once in a while I have dreams but most include a lot of people I have known including people at work. But then its was no different than when I was working.I even have dreams that people I served with in 1968 are part of.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:27 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Once I left the Chicago area in November, I have really nit given the old job a lot of thought. Before then, I did as I was having lunch with a number of coworkers.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,798,899 times
Quote:

I've been retired since April 2012 but still have dreams about every week about being back at work. The dreams usually involve discussing some issue or problem with bosses and/or coworkers, and usually end with me saying something to the effect of "Well you know, I'm retired now - I really don't have to deal with this."

It's very odd - in waking life I don't miss work or regret my decision to retire at all.

How about you?
I've had those types of dreams too, but found over the past 8 years of being retired they are less frequent.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:59 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,627,108 times
Quote:

How about you?
I've been retired since 1994 and I occasionally have a vivid dream of being back at work trying to resolve some problem. I've worked on the same problem a while and haven't resolved it yet. Occasionally the a different problem arises and here I go again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or