U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 07:49 AM

31 posts, read 71,466 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are very interested in the Seneca area of SC. We are coming down from southern Indiana in June to spend a few days looking around. Keowee Key looks like something we might love. We have a budget of 230,000 for our retirement home. What attracts us are all the amenities there which we think will make it easier to transition to a new area. We both love the idea of meeting new friends and having lots of fun things to do. Does anyone know about building a home in Keowee Key? I did see some lots when I looked online and was wondering if it would even be possible to purchase a lot and have a home built meeting their codes and criteria and still stay under 250,000.00. I know we will find the answers to these questions once we meet up with a realtor to show us around, but I guess I am just curious if that's a possibility. Maybe someone who reads this has been through the process. We are both impressed with what we have researched so far on this area. We also have a grandson whom we have adopted and hope we can get him in to Clemson. His graduation from high school and our retirement both happen at the same time, so it will be the right time to make a big move. He appears to be headed toward engineering and Clemson seems like it would be perfect. We are keeping our fingers crossed that he keeps his grades up! I know planning 3 or 4 years down the road is long-term, but I am just a planner by nature! If our path leads another direction, so be it. For now, I have my sights on Seneca, SC! Any information about kepwee Key and either purchasing or building a home with a 250,000.00 budget would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 10:57 AM

7,625 posts, read 11,476,961 times
You may want to post this in the Greenville - Spartanburg forum to get local input.

We've stayed at a few of those types of communities on Lake Keowee when our daughter was at Clemson. They are nice but some of them are awfully remote.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:40 PM

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2015, 05:50 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,950,957 times
phenry, you sound like a house salesman's dream soft touch.

Please do yourself a favor. Spend more than a few days. Perform your own independent research about "wishing prices" vs. closing prices. Go to town hall and check the terms and conditions. Nobody who is a real estate salesman has any interest whatsoever in divulging the gap between the two. Many of them "buy" the listing - promising to sell the pile of sticks for whatever the seller wants. If he/she doesn't agree immediately and enthusiastically with the seller's wishing price, the seller finds another house salesman.

Sales volumes are down precipitously all over the country. Inventory increases as we speak. Most house salesman are feeling the pinch. The commissions they lose because of reduced volume, they will make on increased pricing - or so the thinking goes. Therefore, you do yourself a disservice by approaching a house salesman reverently. It's a commission-based business, and you are putting your faith in the hands of somebody who wants to pump the prices up - regardless of ground truth.

According to the current underwriting rules, housing should cost no more than 30% of gross income. Why put yourself at a disadvantage, agreeing to whatever price a salesman thinks they can get out of you, just because you are paying cash and YOU don't care?

My opinion, and I'm sticking to it. Best wishes.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 AM

Point taken, however I feel like I need to give readers some idea of our price point regardless of the haggling we will do to make a deal. I am not quite ready to come down and buy something in June. We are simply wanting to visit the area to see if it's something we like, or we don't. There will be other places we will visit as well. My post was mainly for locals who know what can and can't be done with the amount of money we are willing to spend. I am not a soft sell and I would think paying cash for a property could definitely work to our advantage especially if a house has been listed for a long time and the owners need to get out from under it. Time will tell if this area is the right place to settle, but it starts with a visit! Thanks for your point of view jane_smith73, unfortunately, the only way we will be able to tour Keowee Key is with a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or